#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

20 minutes ago, spizzer said:

So I got to thinking.  Fandango charges a $1.50 convenience fee.  Is that included in the presales gross # they provide?

If so, any film with a greater proportion of presales probably has its average ticket price inflated even more relative to those with a lower share.

I never thought it did. I always thought it was separate from the ticket price so Fandango could get an extra cut of the sales. As in, it's not included in the price of the ticket, because Fandango would have to give up some money of that to the studio.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, spizzer said:

So I got to thinking.  Fandango charges a $1.50 convenience fee.  Is that included in the presales gross # they provide?  

If so, any film with a greater proportion of presales probably has its average ticket price inflated even more relative to those with a lower share.

No. That goes directly to the website. It's not a profit for the film. 

• Like 3

Someone told a joke in front of the school "what do you get when you cross a priest with a donkey?"

"the second coming of Christ"

Then the physics teacher went up and tried telling Star Wars jokes "how does Darth Vader like his toast?"

"on the dark side. Now I expect all of you to see the force awakens if you physics students want an A on your relativity test."

Now, my school is EXTREMELY talented music-wise. But these two moments are what I'll remember.

Yes! I can hang out in a SW thread again. Just over an hour to go....

Speaking of which! Final sellout update for midnight shows (starting in 2 hours as of time of tracking).

34 showtimes added today, 43 sellouts. Here's a brief report; opening weekend release patterns are quite different in the UK than in the US, so please do take this with a pinch of salt. Regardless, hopefully some of you find it useful.

-------------------------

This is data taken from 112 venues across the UK (out of an estimated 650 venues in which Star Wars will release, or 17% of cinemas), so this data should be fairly representative. Note 3% of cinemas do not have showings tonight, first showings are tomorrow morning.

|||| In total, 45.9% of shows tonight are sold out.

|||| 2D shows are just over 50% sellouts. 3D shows just over 1/3 sellout. Naturally, all IMAX shows are sold out.

To put this in context is tricky, as night-before previews are not very common in the UK (happen a few times a year, compared to every Thursday in the US), but I'll provide a couple of comparisons and you can judge for yourself.

Jurassic World did not have previews*, first shows were at 10am Thursday morning (JW and SW both open Thursday not Friday). Tracking from shows starting at 7:30 showed 9.3% sellout rate. So, Star Wars is 5x higher than Jurassic World with 4.5 fewer hours (but, many fans may have seen the film earlier in the day). 

*It's not true to say there were no previews at all, but there were only a few in the country, and no preview data was reported.

A better comparison is Spectre. Shows started 7:30pm on Monday, and I counted 38.3% sellouts, but from many more shows. It grossed $9.5M, which roughly equates to $61M in US box office money. This is not particularly helpful for judging UK numbers tonight (and when the numbers come in tomorrow, they in turn will not be a perfect guide for US previews, given the time differences), but it does give a good idea of what to expect in US.

If my numbers are anything to go by, then optimistically, Star Wars may be able to conjure up as much as $65-$70M in previews. Realistically, beating Deathly Hallows looks likely, with anything more being a bonus. As such, the opening weekend record of $208.8M should be broken.

• Like 2