AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

There is literally no shock value in Rey being a Solo since that's what the assumption was since over 2 years ago. The only shocking thing about it would be how terribly the writers handled TFA if that was the case. To be honest, there is no twist in this day and age that would be shocking anymore unless you want to do something just plain idiotic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Panda Menace said:

I heard an interesting explanation of why Rey was a Solo and not a Skywalker, thematically, and it made sense.  Basically, the saga is about choice, how you aren't destined to be dark/light because you are the chosen one, or because your father was a sith lord.  So the next step would be to show two twins, and how one chose the dark path and the other the light.  How it was choice instead of destiny.

Fits into the sagas core theme, and I think I might buy it.

Already been confirmed that Rey is 10 years younger than Ben. Have no clue why people still think twins is an option. Letitgo.gif. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

It would make no sense for Rey to be a Solo. She has to be a Skywalker or a Kenobi. But then if she's a kenobi it makes Yoda a liar when he said No there is another.....he shoulda said, There are others.....your offspring would be one.

Did Obi-Wan have siblings though? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not sure there's much shock value no matter who's kid she is... Doesn't matter. I want her to turn to dark side and watch her rage though.

Agreed, which is why I think Rey's history will be handled similarly to Kylo Ren's in TFA where they don't make a huge deal about the reveal. It's just there. 

I think the only real twist could be Snoke and what his ultimate end game is, but that's cause he is such an unknown character still. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Panda Menace said:

I heard an interesting explanation of why Rey was a Solo and not a Skywalker, thematically, and it made sense.  Basically, the saga is about choice, how you aren't destined to be dark/light because you are the chosen one, or because your father was a sith lord.  So the next step would be to show two twins, and how one chose the dark path and the other the light.  How it was choice instead of destiny.

Fits into the sagas core theme, and I think I might buy it.

The choice angle works just as well if they are first cousins. First cousins would still both have a Sith lord grandfather and good parents. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Some movies get a better reputation over time and other films get a worse one.

What do you guys think will happen with TFA?

People will realize how much a piece of tripe this movie was. They'll also realize how weak a villain David Schwimmer...... I mean Kylo Ren was. The final lightsaber scene was a joke. Villains are supposed to appear strong, otherwise, what's the threat? Rey took him out by "thinking" of the force. Who needs training. Not to mention the story is a rehash of ANH. At this point, the movie is making a lot of money because it's a sequel to ROTJ. Diehard fanboys  are watching it 6-7 times, etc.  

Edited by Sagemode87
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Koba, Darth Maul (not that he's great just one of the first people that came to mind), The Joker

Okay, I'll give you Joker. But how is Koba or Darth Maul more iconic, formidable, or quotable as Darth Vader and how do they have a character arc as tragic or compelling?

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

People will realize how much a piece of tripe this movie was. They'll also realize how weak a villain David Schwimmer...... I mean Kylo Ren was. The final lightsaber scene was a joke. Villains are supposed to appear strong, otherwise, what's the threat? Rey took him out by "thinking" of the force. Who needs training. Not to mention the story is a rehash of ANH. At this point, the movie is making a lot of money because it's a sequel to ROTJ. Diehard fanboys  are watching it 6-7 times, etc.  

Ren was totally a badass. In his first appearance, he stopped a blaster bolt IN MID AIR!  He broke people's mind with the force for crying out loud. 

He didn't become weaker until he wasn't getting his way.  He became more impatient and more reckless which led to him getting hurt and not being able to defeat people he totally should have.  He was cocky and arrogant and then he met someone who could actually not only ward off his mind tricks, but fight back and look inside his mind.  That did a number on him. 

• Like 3

• Community Manager
8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Some movies get a better reputation over time and other films get a worse one.

What do you guys think will happen with TFA?

Kinda hard to tell. It really depends on how good Episode 8 and 9 are. But based on what I've read, it'll be seen as better than the prequels but not as good as the originals. People will still look at it favorably though-a good, if not great Star Wars movie. I could be wrong, of course. And this is someone who loved TFA on the first view. It's not a bad reputation for TFA.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Koba, Darth Maul (not that he's great just one of the first people that came to mind), The Joker

KOBA?!?! MAUL?!?!?!

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

ETHAN MUST ETHAN!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

• Like 5

• Community Manager
52 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

There is literally no shock value in Rey being a Solo since that's what the assumption was since over 2 years ago. The only shocking thing about it would be how terribly the writers handled TFA if that was the case. To be honest, there is no twist in this day and age that would be shocking anymore unless you want to do something just plain idiotic. 

Not true. Wayward Pines managed to shock me in this modern day and age and in a way that made sense and in the film world, the Korean Oldboy or the recent movie the Gift surprised me as well as that movie The One I Love. Episode 8 doesn't have to have a shocking twist anyways. Most Star Wars movies don't and even in ROTJ, the shocking "twist" is kinda anti-climatic. "You have a twin sister Luke." "It's Leia, right? Yeah she's basically the only female character in the whole trilogy who is still alive. Must be Leia. Welp, I guess this ends my love triangle with her."

Only ESB had the shocking twist. And that's cause ANH lied and there were no hints until the reveal. And now in the present day, you'll know the twist if you watch the prequels first.

1 minute ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

Not true. Wayward Pines managed to shock me in this modern day and age and in a way that made sense and in the film world, the Korean Oldboy or the recent movie the Gift surprised me as well as that movie The One I Love. Episode 8 doesn't have to have a shocking twist anyways. Most Star Wars movies don't and even in ROTJ, the shocking "twist" is kinda anti-climatic. "You have a twin sister Luke." "It's Leia, right? Yeah she's basically the only female character in the whole trilogy who is still alive. Must be Leia. Welp, I guess this ends my love triangle with her."

Only ESB had the shocking twist. And that's cause ANH lied and there were no hints until the reveal. And now in the present day, you'll know the twist if you watch the prequels first.

But those are standalone original stories that no one was analyzing years and years before release. I'm talking about in the context of a populist blockbuster film. 

• Community Manager
Just now, moviesRus said:

But those are standalone original stories that no one was analyzing years and years before release. I'm talking about in the context of a populist blockbuster film. 

I don't know. I mean everybody here suspects Rey of being a Skywalker (whether she's Luke's daughter/granddaughter or a Solo, she'd be a Skywalker) so that wouldn't be a shocking twist and I think they know people pretty much think that's true so they won't likely build it up to be a big twist in Episode 8. And if they know this and if everybody is concentrating on this....then they can hit us with a big twist that we weren't actually expecting. Like who Finn's real parents are. For all we know, he's Lando's son but we wouldn't know that because we only care about Rey's parents. On the other hand, maybe if they do a big twist it won't have anything to do with whose related to who.

• Like 1

Still confused as to why everyone thinks there has to be a twist. Literally only 1 SW film has a twist and it's the only actual twist in the entire saga. 

And even "twists" aren't really surprising anymore cause people on forums have stuff figured out years in advance. Like the Snape backstory was pretty much the prevailing theory on mugglenet for years before DH came out. 

Edited by moviesRus
  • Like 1