AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Still confused as to why everyone thinks there has to be a twist. Literally only 1 SW film has a twist and it's the only actual twist in the entire saga. 

And even "twists" aren't really surprising anymore cause people on forums have stuff figured out years in advance. Like the Snape backstory was pretty much the prevailing theory on mugglenet for years before DH came out. 

Well I said the same thing. Episode 8 doesn't need a big twist. And when a franchise gets in the habit of having to deliver big twist in entry after entry, it tends to fall apart. Just look at any Shonda Rhimes show. If they organically build up to a big twist that will be satisfying, that's good and fine. If they stumble or try to force one or it ends up being something everyone knew, people will be disappointed and that backlash will hurt TFA's reputation. :)

5 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Still confused as to why everyone thinks there has to be a twist. Literally only 1 SW film has a twist and it's the only actual twist in the entire saga. 

And even "twists" aren't really surprising anymore cause people on forums have stuff figured out years in advance. Like the Snape backstory was pretty much the prevailing theory on mugglenet for years before DH came out. 

The IM3 twist I didn't see coming, but for the most part yeah. But I think that's one advantage of not using Mystery Box marketing, it can be easier to hide things when you aren't telling everyone you have something to hide.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Orestes said:

The IM3 twist I didn't see coming, but for the most part yeah. But I think that's one advantage of not using Mystery Box marketing, it can be easier to hide things when you aren't telling everyone you have something to hide.

The IM3 twist was glorious and part of the reason I love that movie. But damn they pissed off a lot of people because the marketing sold the Mandarin as the big threat and people don't like it when marketing lies to them (marketing should hide a twist without lying which admittedly made IM3 almost impossible to market).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Okay, I'll give you Joker. But how is Koba or Darth Maul more iconic, formidable, or quotable as Darth Vader and how do they have a character arc as tragic or compelling?

Darth Vader's arc tragic and compelling? :lol:

Anyways my point is that Vader is a crappy villain

Edited by Ethan Hunt

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The choice angle works just as well if they are first cousins. First cousins would still both have a Sith lord grandfather and good parents. 

Yeah, but it's also much more cinematic if it's brother and sister facing off then cousins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moviesRus said:

There is literally no shock value in Rey being a Solo since that's what the assumption was since over 2 years ago. The only shocking thing about it would be how terribly the writers handled TFA if that was the case. To be honest, there is no twist in this day and age that would be shocking anymore unless you want to do something just plain idiotic. 

I'd disagree, I don't think any relative twist would be too shocking.  But there's a few things that have legitimately shocking plot twists.  Game of Thrones does it, you can see some of the revelations coming, but unless you already knew from somebody telling you, there are plenty of twists in there nobody saw coming until they happened (and it wasn't like they weren't foreshadowed.  If you go back and watch it again, you feel stupid for missing it)

Then again, it's not really fair to compare anything to A Song of Ice and Fire, there just aren't that many modern storytellers out there that are managing to do as good of a job as he is.  Stephen King might be the only living rival.

3 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

I'd disagree, I don't think any relative twist would be too shocking.  But there's a few things that have legitimately shocking plot twists.  Game of Thrones does it, you can see some of the revelations coming, but unless you already knew from somebody telling you, there are plenty of twists in there nobody saw coming until they happened (and it wasn't like they weren't foreshadowed.  If you go back and watch it again, you feel stupid for missing it)

Then again, it's not really fair to compare anything to A Song of Ice and Fire, there just aren't that many modern storytellers out there that are managing to do as good of a job as he is.  Stephen King might be the only living rival.

btw I forgot to laugh at this. ahahahahahaha

12 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Yeah, but it's also much more cinematic if it's brother and sister facing off then cousins.

That's operating under the assumption that what they're fighting over relates to their parents though, which sorry Han and Leia, you're cool but the big picture story isn't about their legacy. It's about Anakin Skywalker's legacy, which told through first cousins is very compelling. Hell, just look at medieval history and you'll find tons of great conflicts between cousins fighting over legacy and inheritance. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I liked that twist too, but it did piss off A LOT of people, which I think twists these days because they feel the need to be SO crazy that people won't predict it years in advance, tend to be very polarizing and extreme. 

39 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

I don't know. I mean everybody here suspects Rey of being a Skywalker (whether she's Luke's daughter/granddaughter or a Solo, she'd be a Skywalker) so that wouldn't be a shocking twist and I think they know people pretty much think that's true so they won't likely build it up to be a big twist in Episode 8. And if they know this and if everybody is concentrating on this....then they can hit us with a big twist that we weren't actually expecting. Like who Finn's real parents are. For all we know, he's Lando's son but we wouldn't know that because we only care about Rey's parents. On the other hand, maybe if they do a big twist it won't have anything to do with whose related to who.

I'm kind of suspecting that the big twist for this trilogy isn't going to do with relatives, everyone is suspecting it's going to have something to do with relatives, so there's no twist in it.  Likely, they'll reveal who Rey's parents are nonchalantly, similar to Kylo Ren's in Episode 7.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

btw I forgot to laugh at this. ahahahahahaha

Just because the 5th Season of GoT was weaker than the other 4, and that A Feast for Crows was a waste of a book, doesn't really downplay the rest of the series.

I've yet to see another series that

Spoiler

Killed off their "main protagonist" within the first book/season

for example

But that's all off topic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But it's also much more cinematic if the protagonist is the daughter of the franchise's big hero, not the niece. ;)

Yeah, I think it's also clear that Hamill will have a much bigger and more significant role than Carrie Fisher going forward. And since you've already killed off Han and had Rey and Leia meet, there's really no reason to make Rey a Solo anymore. It would actually cheapen TFA for me. 

I am expecting confirmation that Rey is Luke's daughter before VIII, unless she really isn't. I just feel like the movie makes it seem so obvious though that they're not going to save that "revealtion" for VIII and we will know before then. Again, unless she really isn't, in which case I think JJ screwed up some scenes. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I am expecting confirmation that Rey is Luke's daughter before VIII, unless she really isn't. I just feel like the movie makes it seem so obvious though that they're not going to save that "revealtion" for VIII and we will know before then. Again, unless she really isn't, in which case I think JJ screwed up some scenes. 

Yeah.. the finale scene is sooooo overacted if that's the case. 

• Like 1