AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

7 hours ago, sharpie said:

this is a very small problem i had with the movie but was anyone else disappointed by the CGI for Maz? I thought she looked very cartoon-ey and there was one point in her final scene i think where she pushed Fin away that looked really awkward and took me out of the movie

I was the opposite.   I marveled at how well she was rendered.

3 hours ago, Darth Rallax said:

Ren was totally a badass. In his first appearance, he stopped a blaster bolt IN MID AIR!  He broke people's mind with the force for crying out loud. 

He didn't become weaker until he wasn't getting his way.  He became more impatient and more reckless which led to him getting hurt and not being able to defeat people he totally should have.  He was cocky and arrogant and then he met someone who could actually not only ward off his mind tricks, but fight back and look inside his mind.  That did a number on him. 

A great description.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Imo Vader is Iconic.

I think anyone sees him they recognize him, only the Joker is that known. 

There are others people would instantly recognize.   The Wicked Witch, Dracula, Jaws the shark, Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates, the Terminator.   I would be surprised if anyone didn't know those.   And maybe Jack from The Shining too.

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Star Wars fans get super mad when you compare Rey to Katniss even though she's pretty clearly modeled after her

Is it that clear?   They are both female but I don't think that makes them the same unless you believe all female characters are the same.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Felicity Jones is the lead in Rogue One right? Not Star Wars of all franchises paving the way for more female-led franchise movies...

She is, but then every other cast member is a dude so it's still technically a smurfette thing. I dunno maybe there's a narrative purpose in her being the only girl/

• Like 1

I really hope that Episode VIII doesn't have Finn and Rey wind up romantic. I like how their chemistry in this film was much more like friendship, something I found much more refreshing than "Hey, they're opposite genders, start the clock to the sparks!" I wish we could have an epic storyline that doesn't have some romantic element shoehorned on top of everything else.

• Like 3

Saw it for a second time today. Loved it just as much as the first time, if not slightly more. Movie is just so damn entertaining and fun! 

I was able to pay better attention to the dialogue. I heard Obi-wan's voice say "Rey" but I couldnt make out anything else. What are the other things that are said?

I did get a couple of basic answers to questions that I had. 

I heard Snoke say that Kylo is the last of the Knights of Ren. I missed that the first time around. 

Sure, the couple of flaws that the movie has are still there but I didn't seem to mind them as much this time around. 

Hoping to see it at least one more time 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Saw it for a second time today. Loved it just as much as the first time, if not slightly more. Movie is just so damn entertaining and fun! 

I was able to pay better attention to the dialogue. I heard Obi-wan's voice say "Rey" but I couldnt make out anything else. What are the other things that are said?

I heard Snoke say that Kylo is the last of the Knights of Ren. I missed that the first time around. 

Sure, the couple of flaws that the movie has are still there but I didn't seem to mind them as much this time around. 

You sure Snoke said that Kyloe is the *last* of the Knights of Ren? I thought he said the *First* of the Knight of Ren? 

Don't tell me. I need an excuse to watch it again.

• Like 2

I wish I could be a fly on the wall at George Lucas' house to hear him complain to his wife about TFA.

"How do you have a lightsaber fight with no backflips? And they just attack the First Order without discussing trade first? And practical effects? That ball droid could do way cooler shit if it was CGI!"

• Like 5

HzngRqq505EAAAAASUVORK5CYII= KenTremendous
"She's too good at too many things too quickly!" - Misogynistic dudes talking about Rey if TFA had begun with 6 hours showing her training
12/23/15, 5:12 PM

"He's too good at too many things too quickly!" - Something those dudes never said, or even thought to say, about Luke
12/23/15, 5:13 PM

In Episode IV, 26 minutes elapse from when Luke hears about the Force for the first time and when he uses it. Most of that not his story.
12/23/15, 5:17 PM

Also, then he blows up the Death Star, by using the Force, while flying a spaceship he has never seen until like one minute earlier.
12/23/15, 5:18 PM

Rey is straight-up a better character than Luke, and the role is far better acted, and complaining about her abilities is garbage.
12/23/15, 5:19 PM

Jedi have abilities. It's the deal with Jedi. She's a Jedi. The movie explains both her terrestrial and Force-based abilities quite well.
12/23/15, 5:20 PM

HzngRqq505EAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

KenTremendous
My larger point here, I guess, is that IV-VI were so visionary and ground-breaking that we forgive them their (many) flaws. (1/)
12/23/15, 6:12 PM

The characters in IV-VI are thin and speak subtext constantly. "Take care of yourself, Han. I guess that's what you're best at!" (2/)
12/23/15, 6:13 PM

KenTremendous
And now we've had 30 years to examine and ponder and make excuses for them. Which they deserve, because they're great. (3/)
12/23/15, 6:14 PM

But you can't argue that Luke is some amazing 3-dimensional fully-fleshed out character after IV. Because he really isn't. (4/)
12/23/15, 6:14 PM

And I've certainly never heard anyone -- in the 9000 conversations I've had about IV -- say that he learned too much too quickly. (5/)
12/23/15, 6:15 PM

So when people say that about Rey, who I do believe is a better character with a higher ceiling than Luke, with a better actor (6/)
12/23/15, 6:16 PM

playing her, it smacks to me of (a) grading Luke and all of IV on a cray nostalgic curve, and (b) a little bit of misogyny. (7/)
12/23/15, 6:17 PM

Luke picks up a lightsaber, hears about the Force, and 26 minutes later he is angry at Han for not believing in it. (8/)
12/23/15, 6:17 PM

KenTremendous
He's angry that Han doesn't believe in something he had literally never heard of until 26 minutes earlier. No one bats an eye at that. (9/)
12/23/15, 6:18 PM

Then a dark Jedi enters her brain and messes around and something Awakens. Then she's better at stuff, just like (moreso than?) Luke. (11/)
12/23/15, 6:21 PM

There are issues reasonable people can take with the storytelling of VII. I have some. But "Rey is too good at things!" is silly...(12/)
12/23/15, 6:21 PM

...based on how good other people are at things in previous movies. And if her flaws haven't fully emerged as storytelling devices (13/)
12/23/15, 6:22 PM

they are certainly present, already: reluctance to leave home, clinging to the past, unwillingness to be part of something larger. (14/)
12/23/15, 6:23 PM

If IV came out now it would be torn to shreds. Celebrated, I'd imagine, for it's singular vision, then ripped for dialogue and thin (15/)
12/23/15, 6:26 PM

characterization. IV was great. VII was great. Luke: great. Rey: great. Let's rejoice in how much greatness this franchise contains! (16/16)
12/23/15, 6:27 PM

• Like 14

Just now, junkshop36 said:

Well that sucks that Kylo is the last.  Makes it less interesting.

• Like 1