kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

22 hours ago, cannastop said:

No licensing or marketing appeal? It's filled with fluffy cute animals!

Granted, those animals are concerned with adult shit like taxes, kidnapping, conspiracy and racism, but they're still cute!

I get his point tho. After leaving the theatre for BH6, I found myself wanting more of Baymax. I fell in love with Olaf in Frozen. Judy Hopps is cute, but her appeal doesn't go beyond like Baymax or Olaf.

Although I really hope there's more to Zootopia beyond the movie. I want to see themepark attractions, merchandising, spin offs, etc. Disney knows when a hit is in their hands, and I believe they know that Zootopia has a lot of potential.

• Like 1

In the US and Canada, the final tally of Zootopia based on the post-second-weekend trajectory of:

• Lorax or Ice Age 2 -> ~$260M
  • Monsters vs Aliens or Wreck-It Ralph -> ~$287M.
  • Big Hero 6 -> ~$304M

The weighted average is $280M but I think it will come closer to $290M

China can make around $190M with 45% drops from now on and 3 weekends left. I say $200M.

Japan is always a wildcard but I'll stay on the safe side and bet $50M.

Rest of the world $315M.

My relatively conservative estimates, bring it to about $850-855M. If there are any pleasant surprises down the line, the number could higher. In any case, Inside Out is likely to leave the Top 10 animated film WW list and Zootopia could even reach #8 easily.

• Like 3

Walt Disney Animation’s Zootopia scored a huge $83.1 million this weekend internationally up 25% from the prior weekend taking its overseas total to $288.7 million. Holdover business was blistering in China where the film set a single day animation record on Saturday and grossed $56.5 million for the weekend (local sources estimate $60M). China’s total is now $109 million and Zootopia will undoubtedly pass Kung Fu Panda 3 ($149M) as the highest-grossing film of all-time there. Other top territories for the toon are: France ($23.8M), Russia ($20.6M), South Korea ($14.7M), Mexico ($14.0M), Germany ($13.0M), Italy ($11.4M), Spain ($10.9M) and Argentina ($6.3M). Australia and Brazil open next weekend.

Source: BoxOffice.com

WOW

China: 115M+ more?

70M+ from holdovers

Rest of the markets (Brazil, HK, UK and Japan): 100M+

575M+ OS and 270M+ USA for 845M WW

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

No my calculation total is correct, double checked.

The individual numbers add up to the total, but it's weird that on Friday you predicted 940M and now after the weekend are saying just 880M. You usually lower estimates because of disappointing numbers, so what is it that you are calling "amazing"? It is one or the other, you can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tower said:

The individual numbers add up to the total, but it's weird that on Friday you predicted 940M and now after the weekend are saying just 880M. You usually lower estimates because of disappointing numbers, so what is it that you are calling "amazing"? It is one or the other, you can't have it both ways.

Yea I decided to lower Japan a bit (-30m) as I think I over-estimated it.

I also reduced my UK figure.

But 880 or 940 are both amazing numbers nevertheless for an original film no one expected to be that huge

1 minute ago, MinaTakla said:

Yea I decided to lower Japan a bit (-30m) as I think I over-estimated it.

I also reduced my UK figure.

But 880 or 940 are both amazing numbers nevertheless for an original film no one expected to be that huge

Isn't it a crapshoot? It's over a month until the Japanese release.

I believe Zootopia could hit $1 billion WW with $300 million domestic, $250 million China, $140 million Japan and $310 for the other markets (Big Hero 6 did $274 million without China and Japan but Zootopia is doing much better in Europe than Big Hero 6). It would need to boast great numbers for the UK (above $50 million), Brazil (above $20 million) and Australia (above $30 million). It would also need to hold well in North America ($144 million so far), China ($112 million so far) and other markets ($183 million so far) and become a sensation in Japan (obviously not at Frozen levels but $120-160 million is possible). This is all speculation, but you never know, this could be Walt Disney Animation Studios' second billion-dollar baby. Now who would've seen that coming?

Edited by Arlo245
  • Like 1

I believe Zootopia could hit $1 billion WW with $300 million domestic, $250 million China, $140 million Japan and $310 for the other markets (Big Hero 6 did $274 million without China and Japan but Zootopia is doing much better in Europe than Big Hero 6). It would need to boast great numbers for the UK (above $50 million), Brazil (above $20 million) and Australia (above $30 million). It would also need to hold well in North America ($144 million so far), China ($112 million so far) and other markets ($183 million so far) and become a sensation in Japan (obviously not at Frozen levels but $120-160 million is possible). This is all speculation, but you never know, this could be Walt Disney Animation Studios' second billion-dollar baby. Now who would've seen that coming?

Zootopia:

~ The current baseline for the trajectory of Zootopia's final gross cumulative to both the domestic and overseas market should be Big Hero 6 considering how well the film appealed to the worldwide market excluding the European countries.  Currently, Zootopia seems to be boasting a word-of-mouth run that, hopefully, will translate into huge earnings in its key territories: the United Kingdom, South America (propelled Minions to blockbuster status), Japan, and the larger markets it currently runs in.  As for Japan, Corpse is predicting a minimum of around 5 billion yen or the equivalent of $44 million.  Considering the unfavorable exchange rates, $100+ million seems out of reach. Even Star Wars, a staple series in the Japanese medium failed to hit the $100 million milestone (With 2010 exchange rates, it would have made $141+ million) although it did pass the uber-blockbuster milestone of 10 billion yen or equivalent to $400+ million in the U.S.  In key Asian markets such as China and South Korea, Zootopia is being driven using terrific word-of-mouth which is one of the main ingredients towards a film's over-performance in Japan as well as cultural reference points and the ability for the audience to commiserate with the film.  As witnessed by Inside Out, the Japanese market, although one of the largest in the world will turn in favor of other films if the film dabbles into harsher themes and is geared towards a specific audience.  Much of the reviews from audiences who have watched Inside Out said the film was amazing but was too "dark" and "adult" for the audience it was geared towards.  With the added competition of Minions which surprisingly became a blockbuster hit, Inside Out was not able to hold on.  Although, later in its performance it did post some great holds, the film itself was unable to even hit the 5 billion yen mark which is the blockbuster threshold in Japan.  What does this mean for Zootopia?  Will the racial, feminist, and social waters Zootopia has been treading be too "dark" and "adult" for the Japanese audience or will the cute animals and immensely well written characters win over the hearts of Japanese civilians?  On the other hand, the appeal and positive reactions from neighboring markets may, hopefully, spill over onto Japan and cause a mass hunger for the film which in turn may provide the necessary funds to push this film towards the golden $1 billion uber-blockbuster status.  I believe the floor for Zootopia is $700 million and anything above will be nothing more than icing on the cake. :D 

1 hour ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Zootopia:

As witnessed by Inside Out, the Japanese market, although one of the largest in the world will turn in favor of other films if the film dabbles into harsher themes and is geared towards a specific audience.  Much of the reviews from audiences who have watched Inside Out said the film was amazing but was too "dark" and "adult" for the audience it was geared towards.  With the added competition of Minions which surprisingly became a blockbuster hit, Inside Out was not able to hold on.  Although, later in its performance it did post some great holds, the film itself was unable to even hit the 5 billion yen mark which is the blockbuster threshold in Japan.  What does this mean for Zootopia?  Will the racial, feminist, and social waters Zootopia has been treading be too "dark" and "adult" for the Japanese audience or will the cute animals and immensely well written characters win over the hearts of Japanese civilians?  On the other hand, the appeal and positive reactions from neighboring markets may, hopefully, spill over onto Japan and cause a mass hunger for the film which in turn may provide the necessary funds to push this film towards the golden $1 billion uber-blockbuster status.  I believe the floor for Zootopia is $700 million and anything above will be nothing more than icing on the cake. :D 

See, I was thinking it's actually the opposite. Japanese people are supposed to love the dark and adult kind of animation. The ones that are not only directed to kids. Just look at Miyazaki's or other Ghibli movies. Toy Story 3 is kinda dark too and it was a HUGE success. BH6 deals with death, loss and even revenge and that was also huge in Japan. That's why I was so surprised when they chose Minions over Inside Out. Maybe there's a shift in taste towards animated movies? I don't know. Zootopia has cute talking animals dealing with real world social problems. So it could break out like BH6 or just do okay by Pixar/WDAS standard like Inside Out.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, catlover said:

See, I was thinking it's actually the opposite. Japanese people are supposed to love the dark and adult kind of animation. The ones that are not only directed to kids. Just look at Miyazaki's or other Ghibli movies. Toy Story 3 is kinda dark too and it was a HUGE success. BH6 deals with death, loss and even revenge and that was also huge in Japan. That's why I was so surprised when they chose Minions over Inside Out. Maybe there's a shift in taste towards animated movies? I don't know. Zootopia has cute talking animals dealing with real world social problems. So it could break out like BH6 or just do okay by Pixar/WDAS standard like Inside Out.

I think it's more on the design in the hollywood animated films. Like, if they ain't cute/kawaii enough they aint going for it by much. And let's be real Inside Out doesn't boast any really cutesy characters.

5 hours ago, catlover said:

I was quite surprised too. Japanese, if anyone, were supposed to know which one is the bettee animated product. The too dark etc. argument is bullshit. With their anime industry (which has major Seinen and Josei genres) they basically are the foremost,even much ahead of US, when it comes to people who dont see the animated medium as something just for kids. Which means that when it comes to animated products they, unlike the other countries which are more inclined towards targeted fare like Ice Age and minions more, should be inclined towards the more intelligent titles, and they are, usually. We can't really just say that maybe it didnt resonate with the east Asians since it had a very good WOM run in South Korea, but then SK and Japan are different countries too so maybe it could still have been possible, who knows. And actually minions performing as it did wasn't too surprising. In the end kawaai is a major part of the culture and minions' laughs resonated with them just like the rest of  world. But IO should have made more than it did and def more than minions. 

But anyways, to conclude anything based on just one occurunce would be foolish and immature. Maybe this was just a one time thing? An anamoly in the system, something specific to these two titles?