druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

THR has a huge range on their numbers, which to me implies they don't really have a clue. I figured EP7 was a lock for double Christmas Eve's numbers but perhaps demand is catching up and the holds are going to start dropping compared to a movie half it's size who would still have a lot of people who haven't seen it. Fingers crossed for $170 million!

2 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Still poor and it proves that Will Smith's drawing power, is pretty much "gone" at this point.

Nobody stays on top forever. Nor did anyone expect a semi-controversial NFL drama to be a big blockbuster to begin with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Got MI5 for Christmas. Will be watching it shortly.

I also got it. But since a TV channel here decided to pass MI1 yesterday, MI2 today and MI3 tomorrow, I am gonna watch them first. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Everyone was saying 55M and now everyone will say 45-50M isn't disappointing? C'mon now :lol: 

Eh, people were saying a variety of different things.  Plenty of folks saying they would be impressed if it even hit 50M.

I can't speak for anyone but myself; last night I emphasized that it may be the case that the stronger than expected Thursday might mean a "muted" Friday increase (45-50M would be that territory), as opposed to jumping 100%.  If that ends up being the range, I'd expect the Saturday jump to compensate by being slightly higher than expectation, maybe 25-30% instead of ~20%.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Nobody stays on top forever. Nor did anyone expect a semi-controversial NFL drama to be a big blockbuster to begin with.

True, but had Concussion been in 2010, it could have at least done Seven Pounds numbers or even higher. Too late for that though.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

I think people act simplistic with box office.

You see increases and put in a calculator. Oh look 180 190 million 2nd weekend yeah 

You have x factors like the actual size of the number...meaning if it is possibile.

What was the % increase before and what was the story behind the previous days performance.

People that don't understand don't understand box office.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

Just now, ThiagoMaia said:

How many actors do have star power nowadays anyway? Like, 2?

Enviado de meu XT1097 usando Tapatalk

Jennifer Lawrence sure seems to have a solid draw power with Joy pulling a 7M+ OD and a potential 20M weekend. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Got MI5 for Christmas. Will be watching it shortly.

I got it for Christmas too. Saw it three times in the cinema and didn't enjoy it, I guess now I have to try and change my mind?

Daddy's Home fills the gap for a family oriented comedy in December which have done decently in recent years such as Parental Guidance or Family Stone. With a $50m budget, it's going to be profitable. I'm surprised they got the budget that low considering The Other Guys was $100m but I guess Walhberg and Ferrell must have taken a pay cut in exchange for a bigger back end.

Joy opened decently, it was never going to match the success of American Hustle but with an award push will end doing well, Concussion was a hard sell as well even with Will Smith.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1