druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

It seems like everyone's forgetting that it did see some screen cuts this weekend because the theaters had 5 other movies they needed to make room for. Like, here it's gone down from 7 screens (5 of which were in the big houses, of which there are 6) to 5 (3 of which in are in the biggest auditoriums).

• Like 2

• Community Manager

1 minute ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

Also based on those numbers of the openers, I lost the derby.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You are not alone on that [emoji38]

I predicted like 10 million range for all of them except the big short which I think I predicted less than 10 million. I lost big time. [emoji38]

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It seems like everyone's forgetting that it did see some screen cuts this weekend because the theaters had 5 other movies they needed to make room for. Like, here it's gone down from 7 screens (5 of which were in the big houses, of which there are 6) to 5 (3 of which in are in the biggest auditoriums).

Still same number of theaters, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

I predicted like 10 million range for all of them except the big short which I think I predicted less than 10 million. I lost big time. emoji38.png

I put 15M for Daddy's Home :kitschjob: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spizzer said:

I'd be pretty surprised with that number.  I'm guessing that matinees were around ~20M and THR is incorrectly extrapolating another 15-20M from evenings, using the precedent from the weekdays.  Evenings should actually be 30-40M.

35-40M doesn't make much sense, no matter how you split it up, it would either mean matinee business is weaker today than yesterday, or that evening business is weaker than yesterday.  Neither of those is feasible.

Actually, around me most of the sell-outs for movies today have been in the afternoon/early evening. I guess it makes sense to load up the car and go to the movies right after opening presents.

• Like 2

Just now, superduperm said:

Still same number of theaters, though.

Yes, but the maximum capacity it can reach is not the same as it could just a day or two ago. But that's because theaters had obligations they needed to fulfill (even though Star Wars still has the 1-2 biggest auditoriums on lock).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Actually, around me most of the sell-outs for movies today have been in the afternoon/early evening. I guess it makes sense to load up the car and go to the movies right after opening presents.

Good point, but does that compensate for folks that were still working yesterday that are now off?  This is the biggest holiday if the year, even compared to Christmas Eve, the matinee business capacity is just larger.

1 minute ago, theendsnotnearitshere said:

Ex Mrs. Bigelow must've offered some unobtanium to Disney in order to soften TFA crushing his silly movie's record by delaying it. That's the only logical reason for this shit to happen.

Mrs.Bigelow?

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

I put 15M for Daddy's Home :kitschjob: 

Pfft. I also made a terrible mistake. I don't want to admit it but it's public record. I put the decimal in the wrong place on the Hateful 8 so instead of $2.5 million it's $25 million.  I think we can safely say that I lost the derby worse than you. :unsure:

• Like 3