druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

5 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

I'm pretty certain TDK admissions adjusted (accounting for 3D, which it wouldn't have had anyways because its a Nolan movie) would have been around TA-JW level.

Agreed. $770m (74m admissions) seems high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:
2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I have it around $700m once you account for a lot more IMAX screens, PLF, and of course 3D. Should be able to get well past the $700m mark through next Sunday. 

I'm pretty certain TDK admissions adjusted (accounting for 3D, which it wouldn't have had anyways because its a Nolan movie) would have been around TA-JW level.

That's too dramatic of a price drop in just 14 days, a full $0.95 off of the OW price.   $9.45 is in the vicinity of a 25% 3D share (including IMAX/PLF).  Which means that after the OW it would have had to be running well under 10%.  There's no way its that low.

Unless what you're saying is that TDK in today's market with its own particular 3D share would have done 700M.  That makes more sense, but that's not the same as comparing TFA admissions with TDK admissions.  

TFA needs to hit around 770M to match/top TDK in admissions

• Community Manager
31 minutes ago, spizzer said:

If BOM is correct, then GWTW sold 200M tickets over the course of all its releases.  For TFA, that'd be anywhere between $1.9-2.1B, which isn't happening.  I think its a 0% chance given what we've seen through 10 days, it would have had to follow Avatar to a T, which it didn't.  

It didn't follow Avatar since the OW. Avatar opened to $77 million and had great legs. TFA opened to almost $250 million and has had good legs thus far.

30 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Actually jk.  If we take out midnights/previews from Avatar/TFA, it would have do better than Avatar to hit $2B.

Well, I think me saying "there's a 0.1% chance of it beating Gone with the Wind unadjusted" is me saying "there is a good chance that this will do better than Avatar."

29 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Is there a % less than zero? lol

It would need to ADD Avatar's adjusted total and throw in another $300 million to do that ^_^

When Age of Ultron was coming out and I said that if AoU beat the OW record then it wouldn't matter because SW would beat it in December, people thought I was crazy. When Jurassic World came out and I made the claim that SW was going to beat the OW record, people told me that's impossible. I'm not saying it'll happen. If I had to bet, I'd say it won't make it. But the possibility....it's there.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Agreed. $770m (74m admissions) seems high.

Guys: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkknight.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

TDK came out before the RealD/3D/IMAX boom.  It sold 74M tickets.  

Would it sell 74M tickets today with a 3D share that would take it to 770M?  Who knows?  I think arguing that it wouldn't is fair.

But TFA needs to gross around 770M to match TDK's admissions.  It doesn't matter how much 3D would affect TDK, that's a different conversation entirely.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I don't know why people are liking this because it's complete nonsense. It's the "biggest" movie since Avatar however you want to define biggest.

But that'd be implying it isn't bigger than Avatar (and it will be domestically).  Domestically, it'll be the biggest since Titanic at the least.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I don't know why people are liking this because it's complete nonsense. It's the "biggest" movie since Avatar however you want to define biggest.

It is the biggest movie since Titanic if it passes Avatar in admissions. 

however you want to define biggest.

Exactly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Would it sell 74M tickets today with a 3D share that would take it to 770M?  Who knows?  I think arguing that it wouldn't is fair.

But TFA needs to gross around 770M to match TDK's admissions.  It doesn't matter how much 3D would affect TDK, that's a different conversation entirely.

spizzer - what do you think will be the ultimate domestic gross?

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Can't remember the last time a studio was off by more than a percent or two. But maybe i forgot...

I can remember to be cautious if several public holidays are in a row and / or if the general population is rather on vacation

as I had to have had to adjust my in-depth spreadsheets I do for ~ 2 movies a year based on that at least once a bit more than usual (more days at once than only Sunday).

Beside... -2% might be enough for the rth discussion anyway, or ;)

SPECTRE: $653.9M Overseas Total / $850.1M Global Total

1 minute ago, spizzer said:

It made $50m in IMAX from less than 100 screens. That 74m admissions estimate is too high. More likely in the 71-72m area.

What it did not have was nearly 400 IMAX screens (likely would have hit $80-100m in that scenario). Also had close to 0 PLF screens whereas there are 450 today. And obviously no 3D. 

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

It is the biggest movie since Titanic if it passes Avatar in admissions. 

TPM's higher than Avatar, lower than Titanic (Avatar I have estimated at 75-76M tickets, BOM's reports at the time suggest the same).  TPM is at ~85.  

I dug up the data last week to recalculate (I had it at 75-77M before that).

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20748-star-wars-the-force-awakens-opening-weekend-actuals-in-1st-post-247966675-the-force-awoke-and-its-not-sleeping-anytime-soon-119-68-60/?page=271#comment-2314266

1 minute ago, lilmac said:

spizzer - what do you think will be the ultimate domestic gross?

$1.2-1.3B right now, challenging Titanic's attendance.  I expect it to have strong legs after the holidays; its performance has been exceptional thus far, I see no reason for it to fall off beyond what you'd expect once normal days kick back in (weaker Mon-Thurs, strong weekend holds).  

• Like 5