druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

15 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

2 % of 56M is 1M, which brings it really close to 58M (57.5M).

Also, Disney is low-balling their estimates quite often, this wouldn't be the first time.

My "one percent or two" was just a manner of speaking. I meant to say, very little. I highly doubt saturday will be off by $1m, or even close to that.

That Disney low-balls their estimates is news to me. They overestimated TFA OD. Again, Sundays are a different story.

2 minutes ago, spizzer said:

TPM's higher than Avatar, lower than Titanic (Avatar I have estimated at 75-76M tickets, BOM's reports at the time suggest the same).  TPM is at ~85.  

I dug up the data last week to recalculate (I had it at 75-77M before that).

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20748-star-wars-the-force-awakens-opening-weekend-actuals-in-1st-post-247966675-the-force-awoke-and-its-not-sleeping-anytime-soon-119-68-60/?page=271#comment-2314266

$1.2-1.3B right now, challenging Titanic's attendance.  I expect it to have strong legs after the holidays; its performance has been exceptional thus far, I see no reason for it to fall off beyond what you'd expect once normal days kick back in (weaker Mon-Thurs, strong weekend holds).  

You're saying Avatar's adjusted gross is higher than TPM's despite the fact the latter didn't have 3D?

2 minutes ago, spizzer said:

TPM's higher than Avatar, lower than Titanic (Avatar I have estimated at 75-76M tickets, BOM's reports at the time suggest the same).  TPM is at ~85.  

I dug up the data last week to recalculate (I had it at 75-77M before that).

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20748-star-wars-the-force-awakens-opening-weekend-actuals-in-1st-post-247966675-the-force-awoke-and-its-not-sleeping-anytime-soon-119-68-60/?page=271#comment-2314266

$1.2-1.3B right now, challenging Titanic's attendance.  I expect it to have strong legs after the holidays; its performance has been exceptional thus far, I see no reason for it to fall off beyond what you'd expect once normal days kick back in (weaker Mon-Thurs, strong weekend holds).  

Also, not that that 765M figure was before we got a proper 3D breakdown.  I think if TFA's 3D share dips low enough (sub 40%) 765M would take it over Avatar's admissions (meaning <$10.00 average ticket price) and at that level, it would only need ~740M to pass TDK's admissions.

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It made $50m in IMAX from less than 100 screens. That 74m admissions estimate is too high. More likely in the 71-72m area.

What it did not have was nearly 400 IMAX screens (likely would have hit $80-100m in that scenario). Also had close to 0 PLF screens whereas there are 450 today. And obviously no 3D. 

Also I'm only quoting myself because of the editing problem.

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It made $50m in IMAX from less than 100 screens. That 74m admissions estimate is too high. More likely in the 71-72m area.

What it did not have was nearly 400 IMAX screens (likely would have hit $80-100m in that scenario). Also had close to 0 PLF screens whereas there are 450 today. And obviously no 3D. 

Cool, didn't realize we had an IMAX gross.  With 50M from IMAX I get 73.5M tickets sold ($7.18 is the average price in 08 with a small % of IMAX and a very small % of 3D, with discount prices and the like, I have the average 2D price at ~$7.00, average 2D IMAX price right around $13.00).  If TFA's 3D share is in the low 40s or below 40% by the time it hits mid 700Ms, it would need 730-750M to pass TDK's admissions.

6 minutes ago, Elessar said:

My "one percent or two" was just a manner of speaking. I meant to say, very little. I highly doubt saturday will be off by $1m, or even close to that.

That Disney low-balls their estimates is news to me. They overestimated TFA OD. Again, Sundays are a different story.

I guess we'll see when actuals come in.