druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

We can't be far away from Disney firming up whether Episode VIII will be sticking to its May 2017 slot, or moving to Christmas. You can bet all the other studios are waiting on that move. 

If they stick to it, you can bet no studio with a big budget summer movie will go near it for at least three weeks.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tokila said:

I just noticed that TFA broke another record that should be a big deal, but no one is talking about it. Biggest Month ever, with a current total of 534mil up until now The Avengers had the biggest Month with 532 million in May 2012. JW had 514 this past June, but it had some better legs because less competition and 4th of July weekend gave it a nice boost. 

Avengers came out early in the month while JW came out mid-month. Difficult to compare them. Definitely a cool record for TFA considering it came out so much later in the month than Avengers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

Also bitched slap Avengers. People thought Avengers was this generation Star Wars :lol:

Two observations:

1) George Lucas really screwed the pooch with those prequels.  It's clear that the box office potential of the Star Wars property simply has no equal--nothing even in its same league.

2) If actuals come in around 158 (I think they do), it means TFA shattered the old opening weekend record by about 19%, and the second weekend record by about 50%.  

Adjusted for inflation, this movie has a strong chance at surpassing Titanic's first run.  TITANIC.  

• Like 5

redfirebird2008--I'll go back and like your post once my ability is refreshed (and I can tell after posting for a day that, if I'm still employed in the new year, I'd better go for a paid membership!)

My post should have mentioned that parts of NM and Texas got more than three feet of snow in less than 24 hours, which is mind boggling to me.

California has actual tornadoes actually touch down, and parts of Washington rec'd two feet of snow.  This is one well-named winter storm.

Glad you're in Houston...suggest staying there a bit longer!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

We can't be far away from Disney firming up whether Episode VIII will be sticking to its May 2017 slot, or moving to Christmas. You can bet all the other studios are waiting on that move. 

If they stick to it, you can bet no studio with a big budget summer movie will go near it for at least three weeks.  

On an off-note, 2017 looks a lot more fun blockbuster wise than 2016

The Dark Tower

LEGO Batman

Beauty and the Beast

Skull Island

Ghost in the Shell

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Star Wars Episode 8

Kingsman 2

Wonder Woman

Uncharted

War of the Planet of the Apes

New Nolan Movie

Pirates 5 (with competent directors)

Spider-Man Done Right?

New Alien? 

Coco 

Ready Player One

All of those look like really fun blockbusters, and I'm sure a few I didn't mention will turn out good (and some of those will turn out bad)

Then again, I though 2015 looked a lot more fun than 2014, and 2014 turned out to be (overall) a much better year than 2015.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

On an off-note, 2017 looks a lot more fun blockbuster wise than 2016

The Dark Tower

LEGO Batman

Beauty and the Beast

Skull Island

Ghost in the Shell

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Star Wars Episode 8

Kingsman 2

Wonder Woman

Uncharted

War of the Planet of the Apes

New Nolan Movie

Pirates 5 (with competent directors)

Spider-Man Done Right?

New Alien? 

Coco 

Ready Player One

All of those look like really fun blockbusters, and I'm sure a few I didn't mention will turn out good (and some of those will turn out bad)

Then again, I though 2015 looked a lot more fun than 2014, and 2014 turned out to be (overall) a much better year than 2015.

I see a lot of flops on that list. 3 true blockbusters and a bunch of sub $300 million films (and $200 and $100).

10 minutes ago, Greylemur said:

redfirebird2008--I'll go back and like your post once my ability is refreshed (and I can tell after posting for a day that, if I'm still employed in the new year, I'd better go for a paid membership!)

My post should have mentioned that parts of NM and Texas got more than three feet of snow in less than 24 hours, which is mind boggling to me.

California has actual tornadoes actually touch down, and parts of Washington rec'd two feet of snow.  This is one well-named winter storm.

Glad you're in Houston...suggest staying there a bit longer!

Yeah, just rain and wind here so far. My flight to Midland is tomorrow afternoon. Supposed to be sunny in mid to high 30's there tomorrow. Hoping the sun helps melt enough of the snow so I can get back as scheduled. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I see a lot of flops on that list. 3 true blockbusters and a bunch of sub $300 million films (and $200 and $100).

1.I was talking about what interested me, not what I thought would be a big hit

2.Sub 300m isn't bad...

3.Most of those films I don't see flopping.

Much to learn, you do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Haven't been able to post here the past couple days. Been busy. So are we all in agreement that Disney is low balling this again? What are we actually hoping for?

Rth was saying 58M Saturday last night.  DHD recently updated Saturday to 59.5M (that happened in the last few hours, definitely wasn't there in the morning).  Haven't seen too many Sunday reports yet, but going by the precedent set last week, it should hold better than Disney's estimate.  Plus if the Saturday figure is really 58-59M then even the current -15.9% would give us a Sunday figure near 50M.