druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Much of Avatar's success was due to its revolutionary use of 3D. There will be a movie in the future which will again transform how we view movies. This is years away but I can see a immersive experience (virtual reality) which, if done right, could destroy the $1 billion domestic mark. Another method could be the randomly generated movie. The production could have made multiple versions of certain scenes and parts of the movie and the audience can somehow pick options to see how that would play out. In that case you would have repeat business as people go back to see a different version of the film they saw.   

• Like 8

Anyway:

Nothing more to be said about Star Wars, really. Its run has defied description.

Superb start for Daddy's Home, while the other openers debuted at an at least acceptable level. Point Break is a huge bomb compared to its budget obviously, but it could've done worse.

Great holds for Alvin and especially Sisters.

Excellent debut for The Hateful Eight, which no doubt reached maximum capacity at most of its few shows this weekend (although given its frontloaded nature and the fact its in 100 theaters, which isn't that limited, it'll be interesting to see how it does in expansion). Strong start for The Revenant.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar!?! You've got to be kidding right? It is another league than Avatar. It is going to eclipse that movie's admissions by at least 30m, and what's more than that it's doing it when streaming and giant screen HDTV home entertainment centers have been firmly established in American homes. While they were around for Avatar too, they definitely weren't as much the "norm" yet as this decade. Now tons of people are subscribed to monthly streaming services and don't mind waiting 6-7 weeks after a movie hits the theaters to watch it at home on a very nice sized screen with great sound. They don't have to pay $15 to buy just one movie and then watch it on a crappy screen with crappy quality, as in the days of Titanic. Which is why I said TFA's run is arguably even more impressive than Titanic if it hits the 110-115m admission range. People still had way more incentive to go to the theater in 1997 or even 2009 than today. 

Avatar was a completely original film & a massive gamble. TFA was as safe of a mega hit as has ever been released. You are seriously going to use streaming as your major argument why TFA is so much more impressive? LOL please. 

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Avatar was a completely original film & a massive gamble. TFA was as safe of a mega hit as has ever been released. You are seriously going to use streaming as your major argument why TFA is so much more impressive? LOL please. 

Streaming is one argument, but 30m+ HIGHER ADMISSIONS is the main one. There is no argument to be had. 

• Like 4

Gone with the Wind had roadshow showings which were more expensive than regular showings which would have contributed to a larger gross, I do wonder how big it would been in Europe had it not been for WWII? 

I do wonder if a epic like GWTW could be a $1bn grosser now? 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar!?! You've got to be kidding right? It is another league than Avatar. It is going to eclipse that movie's admissions by at least 30m, and what's more than that it's doing it when streaming and giant screen HDTV home entertainment centers have been firmly established in American homes. While they were around for Avatar too, they definitely weren't as much the "norm" yet as this decade. Now tons of people are subscribed to monthly streaming services and don't mind waiting 6-7 weeks after a movie hits the theaters to watch it at home on a very nice sized screen with great sound. They don't have to pay $15 to buy just one movie and then watch it on a crappy screen with crappy quality, as in the days of Titanic. Which is why I said TFA's run is arguably even more impressive than Titanic if it hits the 110-115m admission range. People still had way more incentive to go to the theater in 1997 or even 2009 than today. 

I love how you only brought out the factors that are on TFA's side and keep ignoring that fact that SW7 got the biggest fanbase of all time and it over-tripled Avatar on the OW. Fanbase is the biggest factor to the 1BN hit, and you can't ignore the biggest factor.

Both Avatar and TFA1 defied our understanding. Their DOM run are equally impressive, in different ways of cause.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

I think DOM SW7 and Avatar's boxoffice run are equally impressive (if SW7 hits 1BN). They both defied people's understanding on boxoffice of this era.

WW SW7 is not even close of cause.

Uhhhhh except TFA did not defy understanding since expectations even on here won't be met for it. Absolutely no one predicted the success Avatar had & it's not even close.

Being a franchise film should have technically been more of a hindrance for its chances to become one of the most successful films ever. Most franchise films have a very definite ceiling and can't break past that. Don't believe me? How many sequels do you see in the top ten adjusted for inflation films? That's right, none. And you would only see one in the top 20 if we took out re-releases (TPM). TFA is not only breaking 100m admission a time where that should be impossible, it's also shattering the franchise admissions ceiling in a way we didn't know possible either. It will be the first sequel/prequel to ever blow way past 85m admissions in its first run. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Uhhhhh except TFA did not defy understanding since expectations even on here won't be met for it. Absolutely no one predicted the success Avatar had & it's not even close.

BJ and Kal did.  So almost no one.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Avatar was not orginal... Rip off of Dances with Wolves.  

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

To me this quote may as well be Lucas after the prequels hate, knowing what was going to happen with his beloved creation. It's back, with a vengeance. 

This was the plan all along.

The prequels were the difficult clone wars Emperor Lucas orchestrated to then bring on an age of the Galactic Empire (TFA trilogy)

• Like 1

Just now, hasanahmad said:

any new number from RTH for sunday?

If there were, it would be in the title.  

anytime he reports anything, it's Pavlovian to all of us.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TriggerMike said:

Avatar was not orginal... Rip off of Dances with Wolves.  

You can say that about almost all movies.  Original means it doesn't have pre-existing material.

• Like 10

Since TPM no film has sold more than about 76M tickets domestically (at least I don't think) . If this does 110M or so, that's lots of tickets in comparison. Especially in an era when people have Netflix, back in 1997 and 1999, people were playing with sticks and had nothing to do. 

TFA is selling all the tickets. All of them. The theatre workers just let them in. It's true, all of it. 

It's my birthday today, and I got a card with Yoda on it that says "much to celebrate there is", which is fitting. 

Destroying the box office TFA is. Might go and see TFA today for the sixth time today. I forgot what happened when I saw it the first 5 times, that's my excuse anyway. 

• Like 7