druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Lol @ anyone who actually calls this number bad or anything. We're now in the time of year where people can go to the movies anytime they want over a nearly three week stretch, and obviously this isn't a typical movie released in December.

The numbers for the openers range from great (Daddy's Home) to decent (Joy) to okay (Concussion) to poor (Point Break). No real surprises other than Daddy's Home, which seemed like it could go either way.

• Like 1

Looks like we'll need confirmation from RTH. A lot of us are really skeptical about this number. I suppose it could behave like TDK (second Friday being below first Monday) but this is Christmas Day, one of the heaviest movie-going days of the year, and there's a chance it could be below Tuesday and Wednesday too? I'm sorry I'm just really skeptical. I'm not trying to save face or damage control anything, this just doesn't seem mathematically correct. Even $45M I could believe.

Has to be an error  sales are much higher than Monday Tuesday , at least at the cinema I check.

Not that extrapolating from one cinema is that reliable  but it does suggest a big jump

Edited by damnfine
  • Like 2

I'd be pretty surprised with that number.  I'm guessing that matinees were around ~20M and THR is incorrectly extrapolating another 15-20M from evenings, using the precedent from the weekdays.  Evenings should actually be 30-40M.

35-40M doesn't make much sense, no matter how you split it up, it would either mean matinee business is weaker today than yesterday, or that evening business is weaker than yesterday.  Neither of those is feasible.

• Like 5