Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

Just now, boomboom234 said:

In terms of real world importance the big short is way more important what happened in that movie impacted and will impact the world for years if not decades to come it has shaped global politics and life. Spotlight while chilling and important is relatively old news and small sclae compared

Uh, the impact of Spotlight's events certainly had a global impact. Did you not see the movie, and if you did, did you leave right before the end credits started where it listed every single state and country that came forward after the Boston Globe story was published?

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i just watched back the best picture win and steve golin produced spotlight and the revenant but he's sitting in the revenant section and when he wins inarritu gives him a "did you just fuck my wife?" look.

Somebody please make a gif of this.

Only got 12 out of 21 correct, way worse than last years predictions. I did get Spotlight and Mark Rylance right, but I gave way too much credit to Revenant in technical categories over Mad Max. Way I had it figured, Revenant would get Director and Actor but it would get Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing. Whereas Mad Max actually took all those, I didn't think it would be going home with anything other than makeup.

Just now, Jonwo said:

Open Road winning their first Oscar is a big win for smaller distributors. Apart from The Weinstein Company, has any smaller distributor won big which wasn't a subsidiary of a bigger studio like Fox Searchlight.

This year was a big win for them and especially A24. Room, Ex Machina, and Amy all won awards tonight. These two are clearly the future.

• Like 2

Just now, DamienRoc said:

I will say that thanks to Best Song, Inarritu's win wasn't the most egregiously bad of the night.

I can't decide if Sam Smith's or Alicia Vikander's win is the worst of the night. I guess I'll go with Smith's since I'll just pretend Vikander won for Ex Machina instead.

• Like 2