WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

Well this is a good way to end January this weekend considering that January 2016 is now ahead of January 2015. Despite being below other Dreamworks Animation titles Kung Fu Panda 3 still managed to pass the 40 million mark this weekend with an estimated 41 million, considering that word of mouth is solid for this and not any family movies until March 4th. Kung Fu Panda 3 should hold up strong and make at least 140 million domestic and make 350 million or so overseas. The Revenant is stil holding up strong and with the academy awards on its way the film should make its way to at least 165 million domestic. Star Wars still doing strong in third place and near 900 million domestic. Star Wars should end its run around 950 million. As for the other Disney film it was not good news for The Finest Hours which made 10.3 million this weekend considering its $80 million budget( before P&A costs) the film will be a dud for Disney and should have a tough time getting close to 30 million domestic. Ride Along 2 still hanging on the top five this weekend but is still making below the original at this point. Ride Along 2 should end its run above 80 million. Last weekend's releases have enjoyed some decent holds The Boy took a solid drop around 27% which is better than The Gift's 45% drop from last August. Dirty Grandpa took a decent drop around 32% which is better than That Awkward Moment's 40% drop 2 years ago. The 5th Wave dropped also around 32% which is less than If I Stay's Labor Day weekend drop from 2014. Each film should earn at least 30 million domestic. Wayans comedy spoof Fifty Shades Of Black floundered with an estimated 6.6 million this weekend which is below A Haunted House 2. Fifty Shades Of Black will probably die in the next few weeks and should end its run below 15 million. Long delayed film Jane Got A Gun shot blanks this weekend below 1 million. Jane should probably end up around 3 million domestic.

• Like 1

I loved Surf's Up. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=surfsup.htm

A very under-rated animation. Released in the same summer as Shrek 3 and Ratatouille. I liked SU more than the other two at the time though on repeat viewings Ratatouille grew on me (once I got over the realistic rat handling realistic food bit).

On the other hand, Shrek 3 is a swamp.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRenJNAkuuLX-7qUpjsDbQ

Edited by a2knet

TFAs PTA went up this week and was second only to KFP3, while easily surpassing TR.

But for the ludicrous theater drop where in even RA2 dropped fewer theaters than TFA, it would have been second for the weekend.

18 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Some one posted in the comments that they'd rather watch Oogiesloves

I've never seen anyone mention that movie outside this forum lol

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Some one posted in the comments that they'd rather watch Oogiesloves

I've never seen anyone mention that movie outside this forum lol

Back in the Spill days their Oogieloves review was one of their most popular ones. Many here say "JUST GIMME THAT OOGIELOVE!" as a reference.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm just kind of shocked how Finest Hours opened below all 3 of last weekend's openers...

It just didn't appeal to anyone below 50 frankly. Not exactly the demo which would rush out to watch a movie in IMAX on OW.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

This coming up weekend's releases are going to die. The Choice will make less than half of Dear John OW. Hail, Caesar! Debuts in the low teens. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies debuts less than 10 million OW.

Holdover drops for probably everything except Panda and Fifth Wave should be BIG.

• Like 1