grim22

Fast X | May 19 2023 | Part 1 of an epic finale trilogy | Critics say Jason Momoa does a good job

On 4/27/2023 at 12:35 AM, WittyUsername said:

I feel like we would genuinely have to be concerned for his mental well-being if this flops and they don’t make a part two. 

I love Vin Diesel but seeing him make a Zachary Levi type video would be hilarious 

I get Fast is one Universal's valued franchise but you have to wonder if Donna Langley and co need to start growing a pair and demanding Vin Diesel gets the budget for the final Fast to a more realistic number. $340m is far too much., $200-250m while still high would mean it wouldn't lose money.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I get Fast is one Universal's valued franchise but you have to wonder if Donna Langley and co need to start growing a pair and demanding Vin Diesel gets the budget for the final Fast to a more realistic number. $340m is far too much., $200-250m while still high would mean it wouldn't lose money.

They need to start growing a pair and cancel the last Fast movie cause there is no possible scenario where they could avoid losing money for it. The franchise is already dead and there's no way to revive it as long as Vin Diesel is still involved. 

Just now, scytheavatar said:

They need to start growing a pair and cancel the last Fast movie cause there is no possible scenario where they could avoid losing money for it. The franchise is already dead and there's no way to revive it as long as Vin Diesel is still involved. 

They aren't going to cancel it, it's still make money OS. 

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

IIRC the reason the budget for this became so out of control is because of the extended shutdown when the original director departed right after production had already commenced. Essentially Solo: A Star Wars Story all over again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Firepower said:

There's a good chance they'll cancel it if it does something like 500-600 mln. We already had a situation like this with Divergent finale part 2.

Fast and Furious is not the Divergent series. Universal probably would ask for budgets cut before they have no film at all.

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

IIRC the reason the budget for this became so out of control is because of the extended shutdown when the original director departed right after production had already commenced. Essentially Solo: A Star Wars Story all over again.

They have also thrown a lot of money at the cast to try and maintain interest. Once Dwayne Johnson stepped out, they just started taking the money and handing it out to the biggest names that would take the gig.

The problem they have going into a finale, is that these actors either have set rates for the finale comparable to Fast X, or there is no commitment, and they're negotiating from scratch.

It's easy to say they can just negotiate lower rates with the cast, but, the cast have no obligation here. Sure, Ludacris isn't giving up this gig, but, guys like Momoa, Theron, Cena, Larson, Statham, etc. are here for their cheques. If they're not getting a premium, and the brand is declining, they could skip out. And a finale film that's missing key characters is going to be seen as a letdown.

There's likely a middle ground there where they can find some savings, but, it becomes a complex negotiation when the cast has ballooned as much as it has. Plus, Universal is usually rushing to get these in production, so they're not dealing with a lot of leverage here.

It's not a fun position to be in if you're Universal, but, I think they just try to keep costs contained as best they can, and hope that marketing the next film is the series finale leads to increased interest that helps elevate revenues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Fast and Furious is not the Divergent series. Universal probably would ask for budgets cut before they have no film at all.

It’d be hilarious if they cut the budget to the point that they have to go back to heisting DVD players like the good old days.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Universal can’t really let it go incomplete because they’re also assuredly going to reboot/soft reboot this in the future.

Currently, Universal makes next to no actual profit from these movies. Diesel, Moritz and the Paul Walker estate make most the money from these movies. Universal literally gets the scraps and home video money. So I can definitely see them rebooting with less expensive actors who have no back end deals.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Currently, Universal makes next to no actual profit from these movies. Diesel, Moritz and the Paul Walker estate make most the money from these movies. Universal literally gets the scraps and home video money. So I can definitely see them rebooting with less expensive actors who have no back end deals.

New Fast New Furious in 2035 starring 18-21 year old versions of Dom/Letty and Brian/Mia's kids.

Edited by 4815162342

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I assume this is the plan, yes. But letting it go incomplete would significantly hurt prospects of a reboot if this is as much of a cliffhanger as it sounds like. So Universal takes a hit on the next one and invests it for the future