GiantCALBears

Wednesday Numbers, Deadpool $8.62m

1 hour ago, setna said:

There is something that i don´t understand.

If Disney bought Marvel years ago, why fox or Sony make superhero movies from Marvel?

Have they to pay a percentage to Disney?

Thanks for claryfing.

Marvel sold X-Men and Spiderman film-rights to these studios years before there deal with Disney. So, as far as films go these have (or, in Sony's case, had) complete rights to these characters and I don't think they have to pay anything to Marvel.

Edited by Infernus

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

Marvel sold X-Men and Spiderman film-rights to these studios years before there deal with Disney. So, as far as films go these have (or, in Sony's case, had) complete rights to these characters and I don't think they have to pay anything to Marvel.

They pay Marvel a small percentage of the gross. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

They pay Marvel a small percentage of the gross. 

and I am pretty sure that Marvel still has the merchandising rights so they get that money too.  If that's not right, I am sure someone will correct me :P 

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

Yes they were already expected to perform bigger, but they did outperform the expectations just as well too. A 250m OW, beating previous record by biggest margin ever, in Dec and a final total 330m above the reasonable expectation was every bit as surprising as Deadpool. As for JW, it was only pegged for 100m OW and 300m Dom at most. It easily made more than twice of what it was expected to even by the most optimistic predictors even just a day before, and with much bigger numbers in the play (which, I believe should also be factored in). There's no competition when it comes to JW. Maybe one can put up an argument for SW vs Deadpool but you have to factor the sheer size of numbers that were in play then. Otherwise you may end up saying that a film which made 30m OW instead of the 10m it was supposed to was a bigger surprise than a film that made 250m and beat the previous record with a record margin, that was supposed to make 160m OW. Its true predictions for SW started rising by the time its release came close but so did Deadpool's and I don't think that's supposed to be factored in anyway. If a movie which all had pegged for 100m Dom when it was announced started showing signs of 100m OW two weeks before its release, would its performance not considered surprising? And yet even if you do not take this, that would still only be an argument for DP vs SW for JW was still being predicted for just as much as ever before even a minute before its midnight numbers rolled in. Moreover there are other films like American Sniper, IO and FF7 (especially its overseas performance) from last year that can also be used to argue against this.

So, yeah, Deadpool still isn't the biggest surprise even in a year just on the basis of JW alone.

Nope.  Deadpool is by far the biggest surprise.  I would list the biggest surprises from the last year as this....

1. Deadpool

2. American Sniper

3. Jurassic World

4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Nobody* saw Deadpool doing $152m 4 day weekend.  It was roughly double what the expectations were.  Nobody* saw American Sniper opening to a massive $90m in January.  

Jurassic World was more about taking down the record, but there were more than a few that had it opening really high in the $180m - $190m territory.  Same thing with Star Wars: The Force Awakens where numerous people had it opening in the $250m range and breaking the all time domestic record.  Heck, a major Hollywood trade did a story months out about how numerous people thought it would go as high as $300m opening.  

Deadpool given all the factors is easily the biggest surprise.

*nobody means 99% of people

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Nope.  Deadpool is by far the biggest surprise.  I would list the biggest surprises from the last year as this....

1. Deadpool

2. American Sniper

3. Jurassic World

4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Nobody* saw Deadpool doing $152m 4 day weekend.  It was roughly double what the expectations were.  Nobody* saw American Sniper opening to a massive $90m in January.  

Jurassic World was more about taking down the record, but there were more than a few that had it opening really high in the $180m - $190m territory.  Same thing with Star Wars: The Force Awakens where numerous people had it opening in the $250m range and breaking the all time domestic record.  Heck, a major Hollywood trade did a story months out about how numerous people thought it would go as high as $300m opening.  

Deadpool given all the factors is easily the biggest surprise.

*nobody means 99% of people

No one will convince me that wasn't because of this site (specifically CJohn).

• Like 7

Hopefully all those underage kids sneaking into Deadpool are buying SW tickets.  

I would imagine at least a few million dollars in tickets spread out between the existing G to PG-13 movies ended up being empty seats during their showings.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Panda said:

At this point, I bet most Hollywood trade sites use ours for their predictions thinking we all obviously know what we're talking about, we're a box office site.

Just as long as they don't use my Derby predictions. We'd lose all credibility.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, The Panda said:

At this point, I bet most Hollywood trade sites use ours for their predictions thinking we all obviously know what we're talking about, we're a box office site.

We still know more than they do :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, setna said:

There is something that i don´t understand.

If Disney bought Marvel years ago, why fox or Sony make superhero movies from Marvel?

Have they to pay a percentage to Disney?

Thanks for claryfing.

Marvel sold the movie rights to many of their biggest characters around 20 years ago. There was a clause that said when studios stop making movies with a character for 5 to 7 years the rights revert back to Marvel. Marvel was able to obtain lots of their movie rights back because of this clause except for Spider-man, X-men and Fantastic Four.

Marvel created their own studio and launched the MCU in 2008 with the smash hit Iron Man. Marvel Studios had a decent run and Disney bought them a few years later but Sony and Fox still had Spider-man, X-men and FF because they kept rebooting those franchises to keep the rights.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel sold the movie rights to many of their biggest characters around 20 years ago. There was a clause that said when studios stop making movies with a character for 5 to 7 years the rights revert back to Marvel. Marvel was able to obtain lots of their movie rights back because of this clause except for Spider-man, X-men and Fantastic Four.

Marvel created their own studio and launched the MCU in 2008 with the smash hit Iron Man. Marvel Studios had a decent run and Disney bought them a few years later but Sony and Fox still had Spider-man, X-men and FF because they kept rebooting those franchises to keep the rights.

X-Men suffered a mini-reboot. But it was never exactly what happened with Spider-Man and FF. 

• Like 1