Impact

Best actress-2016 predictions

i can't remember the last time someone won an oscar for a part so surface level. (all the other contenders much more layered. even streep shows glimpses of sadness, regret and self-awareness to go underneath her goofy comic relief character) probably anne hathaway in les mis. it's these damn show tunes!

• Like 2

I know it's an opinion that's in the minority, but I thought Meryl Streep did a wonderful job in Florence Foster Jenkins and really does deserve this nomination. It must have been hard to deliberately sing bad and off key!

If I had actually seen Arrival then I probably would have liked Amy Adams's performance as well. I wanted to and I almost did but I just couldn't get to it in time!

Emma Stone in La La Land was great too!

Until you guys see Jackie, you don't know how good Portman is.  She should have cleaned up this year.

Stone didn't even deserve a nomination and to think she is going to win is just ludicrous.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Until you guys see Jackie, you don't know how good Portman is.  She should have cleaned up this year.

Stone didn't even deserve a nomination and to think she is going to win is just ludicrous.

I thought Portman was very good in Jackie but I always saw her as Kennedy and not the actual person herself. Then again, I wasn't crazy about the movie overall (even though I still liked it).

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Exactly right on the Stone part. She's getting carried along by the production values.

• Like 3

Portman's in an iconic but unlikable role vs Stone super likable one. It's Blanchett (Elizabeth) vs Paltrow (SIL) all over except that Portman already has the Oscar so that's an added strike against her. 

However, it's critics who gave her GOAT reviews only to sweep vote for Huppert that really let her down. based on reviews and TIFF hype, she seemed poised to win every critical award...and that's what Huppert did. Which is why some think Huppert could upset at the 11th hour (GG win + bucketload of important critics awards). I don't see it because this strikes me as the repeat of JLaw vs Riva, who was never a real challengers but you know what people are like when the race is over, invent fantasy threats to status quo to kill time.