CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Faraci hated Man of Steel. He was one of the people that started the whole BUT SO MANY DIGITAL EXTRAS DIED!!! thing. 

Anyone still sensitive to 9/11-esque imagery would've made that complaint eventually. It wasn't even the first movie that summer to face that complaint (Star Trek Into Darkness came under similar fire the month before).

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think it needs an 80m day to get to 170m for the weekend. 

Based on Furious 7's Easter opening, it would need around $77m. Granted, this might be more frontloaded over Easter weekend than that one. Just have to see how it plays out of course.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Michael Bay refused many times to direct one of those silly superhero movies.

Studios badly wanted him to do one of those.

Instead, he makes post modern performance art with the Transformers movies.

That contract with Paramount must be sweet as fuck. He is going to do one of those every 2/3 years until he dies.

WOM is killing this movie. It's previews were higher than Ultron's and yet it's going to have a lesser OD and OW than Ultron. Those legs are going to be terrible. Like Mama June legs while she's trying to do hot yoga. *sarcasm* 

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Sorry did not understand that. Why would that be ok? Was BVS expected to do worse than AOU in matinees?

That doesn't make sense, since many kids are out of school today compared to a May-opener like Ultron.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Sorry did not understand that. Why would that be ok? Was BVS expected to do worse than AOU in matinees?

I realized after I wrote it that probably there's not as much difference as I was thinking... but the predominant view among the more pessimistic here was that BVS wouldn't have the walk-up strength of a Marvel tentpole (since traditionally they're very strong in that regard).

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think it needs an 80m day to get to 170m for the weekend. 

It probably needs $85.  There is usually a dip from Fri grosses to Sat on Easter weekend.   So $80 mil for Th/Fr is only $52 for Fri, translates for $50 for Sat, and and then would need $40 mil on Sunday (a 20% drop from Sat) to get to $170 for the OW.   Seems like a tough path.   

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You're surprised?

Baumer is an avid defender of Michael Bay and Zack Snyder is just a geek version of Michael Bay.

Snyder is a Bay that takes himself super seriously

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

I realized after I wrote it that probably there's not as much difference as I was thinking... but the predominant view among the more pessimistic here was that BVS wouldn't have the walk-up strength of a Marvel tentpole (since traditionally they're very strong in that regard).

Today is a school holiday so it's probably not a good comp.

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Based on Furious 7's Easter opening, it would need around $77m. Granted, this might be more frontloaded over Easter weekend than that one. Just have to see how it plays out of course.

I think it would be lucky to reach 160 if it only makes 77. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

even my dad texted me to say this was kinda boring and he's pretty easily pleased. might be a marvel shill. haven't investigated.

Which Fincher movies are in his top 20?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That contract with Paramount must be sweet as fuck. He is going to do one of those every 2/3 years until he dies.

Paramount money is cheap change for Bay, his Hasbro contract though.

Read on Forbes that he will eventually become a billionaire thanks to the toy contract he has with Hasbro.

17 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I still like Whedon. Honestly, only problems I really had with AoU was the Hawkeye family stuff and the Banner/Nat relationship. That relationship is probably the worst Whedon-trope, where a guy is abusive towards a girl, then girl falls in love with abusive guy. That popped up in Buffy several times, too.

Ohh, I haven't liked Whedon since he was forced down my throat with Firefly/Serenity. (I still argue that movie isn't good.)

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I remember him saying he liked it as a movie but HATED IT as a Superman adaptation

Which seems reasonable to me but everyone had to ARGUE ABOUT IT for 2 years because internet

It were 3 years Chewy. 3 years of the same fucking shit. I know, time flies.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

even my dad texted me to say this was kinda boring and he's pretty easily pleased. might be a marvel shill. haven't investigated.

Have him take three whedons (with food, you don't want an upset stomach) and then see if he feels better. 

• Like 1