CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Why do people say it's collapsing in China? Because its Saturday only increased 20% from its opening day? I mean, opening days haves the tendency to be inflated...

WOM doesn't seem so good over there, but then again, TFA didn't have good WOM either over there. Is it me or those markets like South Korea, China, Hong Kong tend to have pretty specific tastes?

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

WOM doesn't seem so good over there, but then again, TFA didn't have good WOM either over there. Is it me or those markets like South Korea, China, Hong Kong tend to have pretty specific tastes?

Specific? Maybe. But I think that it's fair to assume that bad WOM won't be an isolated incident, we'll have a better grasp at how bad it is by the end of the next weekend.

• Community Manager

How much would they have to pay you to watch BvS? 

Me: wouldn't see it for under $200. 

You? 

Considering how I paid $20, they would have to pay me -$20.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know how the movie is performing today compared to yesterday's business. I didnt see the sellouts within 40 mile radius from my home. But today there is a substantially amount of sellouts throughout the day.

I was curious to see how New York area from my family's zip code (10032) and there is a theater in the Bronx, NY that either is the only theater available within 100 miles or they really like this movie.

AMC Bay Plaza Cinema 13

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Rating (PG-13) • 2 hrs. 31 min.

Digital Presentation
Reserved Seating

BUY TICKETS - 10:00AM, 11:00AM, 11:30AM, 1:30PM, 5:00PM, 6:00PM, 8:30PM, 12:00AM, 12:45AM, 12:45AM, 1:00AM, 1:15AM

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D

RealD 3D
Digital Presentation
Reserved Seating

BUY TICKETS - 12:00PM, 12:50PM, 2:30PM, 3:30PM, 4:20PM, 6:30PM, 7:00PM, 7:50PM, 9:30PM, 10:00PM, 10:30PM, 11:10PM, 12:30AM, 1:30AM

Holy cow.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Well, @nilephelan said that it's supposed to be $80m, not $82m. I've seen estimatives going down like he predicted enough to believe he does have some inside info.

With that said, $82m would mean a $54,3m Friday for BvS. Fast 7 had a $51,6m Friday, with $15,8m previews. If it's $80m and WB fudge it, BvS was awfully close to F7's Friday, what shows in my opinion that the effects of the negative buzz is already in effect. I expect it to get even worse this Saturday and Sunday.

Previews: $27.7m

Friday: $54.3m

Saturday: $47m

Sunday: $31m

$160m OW

It made more than Furious did on Friday. Way more. End of story. It's one of the biggest Friday's of all time. 

We don't know how large the Saturday drop will be. 

Just because YOU don't like the movie, that doesn't mean anything. Guess what? Others did. Others on here did, all of my friends that are DC fanatics did - so go figure. Maybe it might have a great Saturday too! We simply don't know. 

This 'negative word of mouth is in effect' stuff is non-sensical. You're wondering why people are calling you out on it, but it's these little things you write about this 'assumed negative word' which is just fiction at this point. How can you summise negative word of mouth from one of the biggest days in box office history? 

This is meant to be a box office site where we all get excited and root for things to do well. This constant negativity about the film is actually causing me, and many others, to not want to come on here. 

I respect you don't like the movie. Just have a bit of respect for those of us that do and stop going on and on about how much you dislike it or assume there's negative word with a $400 million opening. Please. 

The irony is that if you liked it you'd be raving about how well it was doing and you know it!!! Lol 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Why do people say it's collapsing in China? Beinfluxits Saturday only increased 20% from its opening day? I mean, opening days haves the tendency to be inflated...

No, Sunday presales are down almost 50% from Saturday and evening will only be weaker. Movies with good WOM drop 20-25% on opening Sunday. Ratings are dropping fast including douban at 6.8.

29 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Specific? Maybe. But I think that it's fair to assume that bad WOM won't be an isolated incident, we'll have a better grasp at how bad it is by the end of the next weekend.

No guarantees it will be bad. We can't just make baseless assumptions now.

Lets at least get the saturday numbers first.

Edited by jj99

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It made more than Furious did on Friday. Way more. End of story. It's one of the biggest Friday's of all time. 

We don't know how large the Saturday drop will be. 

Just because YOU don't like the movie, that doesn't mean anything. Guess what? Others did. Others on here did, all of my friends that are DC fanatics did - so go figure. Maybe it might have a great Saturday too! We simply don't know. 

This 'negative word of mouth is in effect' stuff is non-sensical. You're wondering why people are calling you out on it, but it's these little things you write about this 'assumed negative word' which is just fiction at this point. How can you summise negative word of mouth from one of the biggest days in box office history? 

This is meant to be a box office site where we all get excited and root for things to do well. This constant negativity about the film is actually causing me, and many others, to not want to come on here. 

I respect you don't like the movie. Just have a bit of respect for those of us that do and stop going on and on about how much you dislike it or assume there's negative word with a $400 million opening. Please. 

The irony is that if you liked it you'd be raving about how well it was doing and you know it!!! Lol 

Give yourself a favor. Spend your time on far more important things. You don't deserve this. Happy Easter!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

This 'negative word of mouth is in effect' stuff is non-sensical.

I'm not the poster you quoted but, it's far from non-sensical. In fact, Batman v Superman is the worst-reviewed tentpole movie since Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Negative word of mouth is in effect, it just doesn't show on opening day, which leads us to...

How can you summise negative word of mouth from one of the biggest days in box office history? 

:kitschjob:

Opening day is literally the only day in a movie's box office run that a movie is immune to word of mouth. 

That's your perception of things. I'm here to discuss box office, not "get excited and root for things to do well". I don't really care if a movie I don't like doesn't make loads of money. I'll be glad to know about it, but that's it.

If this site squelched everyone's opinions, I'd be sure to get the hell out of here as quickly as you can say "Batman".

Edited by Daxtreme
typos, typos everywhere
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm not the poster you quoted but, it's far from non-sensical. In fact, Batman v Superman is the worst-reviewed tentpole movie since Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Negative word of mouth is in effect, it just doesn't show on opening day, which leads us to...

Opening day is literally the only day in a movie's box office run that a movie is immune to word of mouth. 

That's your perception of things. I'm here to discuss box office, not "get excited and root for things to do well". I don't care if a movie I don't like doesn't make loads of money.

If this squelched everyone's opinions, I'd be sure to get the hell out of here as quickly as you can say "Batman".

Thanks for saving me the energy!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ryan Reynolds has a much better shot at getting at an Oscar nomination for Deadpool than Ben Affleck does for Batman v Superman and Reynolds' chances are 0.01% (a Golden Globe nomination in Musical/Comedy Actor isn't impossible but that all depends on competition).

I think Deadpool does have a shot at screenplay nomination, definitely not from the Oscars but the Golden Globes maybe. BVS is almost a lock for Best Visual Effects category tho, and the internet meltdown when BVS is nominated for an Oscar and Deadpool isn't will be an all-time record.

But tbh, if I'm rooting for an acting nomination from a franchise/blockbuster type movie, it better be John Goodman from 10 Cloverfield Lane (even though I wouldn't classify 10CL as a blockbuster exactly, but you get what I mean).

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

That's your perception of things. I'm here to discuss box office, not "get excited and root for things to do well". I don't care if a movie I don't like doesn't make loads of money.

If this squelched everyone's opinions, I'd be sure to get the hell out of here as quickly as you can say "Batman".

No it is non-sensical to assume because we haven't seen the Saturday number yet. 

Perhaps my comment about rooting for things to do well wasn't quite how I intended. I merely meant I'd rather spend time talking about the numbers on here, than trolling like some are. That's all. 

As for opening day being immune to word of mouth - Fantastic Four? Opening days can absolutely be affected by word of mouth and reviews. Especially these days. 

No arguments from me man. We're all on the same page mostly. I just don't like this trolling from some, as I'm sure you don't. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

I don't know how the movie is performing today compared to yesterday's business. I didnt see the sellouts within 40 mile radius from my home. But today there is a substantially amount of sellouts throughout the day.

I was curious to see how New York area from my family's zip code (10032) and there is a theater in the Bronx, NY that either is the only theater available within 100 miles or they really like this movie.

AMC Bay Plaza Cinema 13

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Digital Presentation
Reserved Seating

BUY TICKETS - 10:00AM, 11:00AM, 11:30AM, 1:30PM, 5:00PM, 6:00PM, 8:30PM, 12:00AM, 12:45AM, 12:45AM, 1:00AM, 1:15AM

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D

RealD 3D
Digital Presentation
Reserved Seating

BUY TICKETS - 12:00PM, 12:50PM, 2:30PM, 3:30PM, 4:20PM, 6:30PM, 7:00PM, 7:50PM, 9:30PM, 10:00PM, 10:30PM, 11:10PM, 12:30AM, 1:30AM

Holy cow.

After seeing the movie I can't say I am surprised at all. It needs work and the final cut version may solve that. But there are many moments in this movie that are truly great. Transcendent even. 

• Like 2