abra

Wednesday: BvS $8.1M

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Dude, stop. Trolling is not an acceptable behaviour here.

How is that trolling? I read some statistics and was sharing them with you. Even if it does make 27.8 million, it's still not enough to beat BvS which should make somewhere around 40-66 million.

Yeah, I think we are, but just to put things in perspective: 

The Renevant: 85% Critics, 83% Public on RT

10 Cloverfield Lane: 90% Critics, 83% Public on RT

Donnie Darko: 85% Critics, 80% Public on RT

Mad Max: Fury Road: 97% Critics, 86% Public on RT

To gauge how liked a film is, I use its box office and metrics that I see as somewhat reliable, like Flixter that I believe it's better than IMDb. Sometimes a film makes loads of money but it's mixed to negative, like Alice: 52% critics and 55% public.

:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

What's your view on Cinemascore?

Useful to gauge how the public is receiving a film in theaters. In BvS's case, a B is pretty fucking awful and reflects the kind of reception we are having: die hards defending it while everyone else crushing it. I know because two years ago that was me, TASM2 got a B+ Cinemascore and look how that turned it out.  Among superhero blockbusters, a B is the same that stuff like Elektra and Catwoman got, if I'm not mistaken.

3 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

ROFLMAO

That's even funnier.

Why bother replying 

Ben has moved on from sadness and rage to acceptance with that post

ROFLMAO lol lol

why not? triple lol

Off topic but: I just finished reading the 6th book in The Legacy of the Force series. Why?!!! Why didn't they just adapt this series?! It is so complex and it really makes you care for the characters. Jacen (Ben in TFA) is a formidable character and you get why he does what he does. Han and Leia are beyond likable (seeing their family and the Skywalker's being thorn apart in the most gruesome way possible really makes you feel sorry for them), same with the other Jedi and the story is so much more mature. Probably that is an issue also. I don't think Disney actually wants this type of movie. It is so dark (you have scenes of torture in this book). But at the same time I love love love the realism of it. It plays much more like a political drama. This is the best thing I've read in a long ass time. And it's kinda sad to see how subpar the movies are compared to the books and how much wasted potential is there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

How is Cinemascore reliable in any way when its sample size is 400 to 500 in 2 to 3 cities?! Just tell me, I'd be interested to hear. 

Just saying that the only movie in Cinemascore history to ever not score an A that made a billion dollars was POTC: On Stranger Tides. And that still got a B+.

So it does usually mean something even if a lot of people like to discount it....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, James said:

Off topic but: I just finished reading the 6th book in The Legacy of the Force series. Why?!!! Why didn't they just adapt this series?! It is so complex and it really makes you care for the characters. Jacen (Ben in TFA) is a formidable character and you get why he does what he does. Han and Leia are beyond likable (seeing their family and the Skywalker's being thorn apart in the most gruesome way possible really makes you feel sorry for them), same with the other Jedi and the story is so much more mature. Probably that is an issue also. I don't think Disney actually wants this type of movie. It is so dark (you have scenes of torture in this book). But at the same time I love love love the realism of it. It plays much more like a political drama. This is the best thing I've read in a long ass time. And it's kinda sad to see how subpar the movies are compared to the books and how much wasted potential is there. 

Really?

I'd very much say the opposite. When it comes to the main storyline, Star Wars books went off the deep end soon after being taken over by Del Rey. The New Jedi Order was a novel idea, but beyond a few bits here and there not all that useful. Dark Nest was useles, and things went completely off the rails with the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series. There are a few interesting bits in there, but generally they aren't something I would ever want to see as actual continuation of the Star Wars movies. Anything written by Karen Traviss is pretty much a travesty that makes a mockery of what Star Wars is about.

The one series that actually managed to capture the spirit of the old movies while also having the required scale was Timothy Zahn's Thrawn-trilogy from the early 90s, but the backstory doesn't quite fit anymore since the prequels reset the past. Not to mention that it plays only a short time after the old movies, which wouldn't have fit with the age of the actors.

50 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Just saying that the only movie in Cinemascore history to ever not score an A that made a billion dollars was POTC: On Stranger Tides. And that still got a B+.

So it does usually mean something even if a lot of people like to discount it....

Yeah well, it's not like there are a LOT of billion plus films in the grand scheme of things. It's like doing a billion for some people is easy peasy now, it is not.

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

How is Cinemascore reliable in any way when its sample size is 400 to 500 in 2 to 3 cities?! Just tell me, I'd be interested to hear. 

Then you need to discredit any study or science based experiment that samples just 400 to 500 people. Is it a perfect science? Absolutely not. But polls and surveys are used all the time on a similar sample size basis to gauge how the public feels. And that 72% rating on flixster coupled with a 7.4 on IMDb shows that the movie is in the B range for the masses. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Weak number obviosuly. I have not read entire thread. But I am pretty sure BvS is getting shredded here.

Anyone predicting under $300 million domestic yet? How about 80% drop this weekend?

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

The same way maybe having 20 critic reviews ends up usually being pretty similar what hundreds of critics think. People do not have that differing opinions in the end. Of course Cinemascore is more positive than the general opinion is, because those polled wanted to go see the film right after the film opened so they are very likely to be fans who like the film no matter of what. And it is not perfect otherwise either. But it does work still, you just can not compare those scores with other film reviews but with other Cinemascores.  

Post-Easter Wednesday drops:

Clash of the Titans: 15.8% (Wednesday gross 65.9% of Monday)

G.I Joe Retaliation: 25.5% (Wednesday gross 66% of Monday)

Furious 7: 31% (Wednesday gross 65.7% of Monday)

Batman V Superman: ~31% (Wednesday gross ~56.5% of Monday)

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2