grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

14 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I dont know all the facts obvisouly but basically it seems nate parker got off because the accuser admitted to having consensual sex with him a few days earlier. Celestin was convicted and only charged with 6 months and was even let out early so he could graduate. However he applied for retrial and his convicton was eventually overtuened for a few reason and because the accuser refused to retestify. 

They were both star wrestling athletes by the way. 

Penn State athletes.

Penn State later had to pay her $17k (a joke) and change their official policy from a lawsuit filed by a Woman's group brought for failure to protect her on campus after the rape.   Penn State claimed they did everything right waiting for disciplinary action at the victim's request until after the trial but Penn State officials also wrote a recommendation later vouching for Celestin's character during sentencing and it was arranged for him to start serving his sentence only after being allowed to return to campus to finish his degree.  Meanwhile Celestin & Parker and their friends stalked her, followed her to class, shouted sexual slurs at her, spread her photo and name around campus for others to do the same until she felt forced to drop out of college.  She attempted suicide twice and was too mentally fragile to testify again at the retrial.  So in the end they both wound up getting off.

Scum and it's not just the past since Parker from that interview has not an ounce of regret or repentance and paints himself as the victim who's moved on.

• Like 1

This is disgusting!

Sorry but this isn't just some sexist comment people try to use against him. 

I can't believe i haven't read any of this before. I think it's ok to overlook some flaws when an artist is amazing but he has criminal record and he acts like the victim.

You raped and destroyed a woman, ok the court decided it's ok..... but you can at least say how much you regret it and how sorry you are now...

Not that this would be enough but his answers anger me so much. 

• Like 1

Damn I just read this witness testimony by one of his friends who they also invited to have sex with the girl but refused.

Not seems Nate got off because he and the girl were dating or in some sort of relationship which is Bullshit. The justice system is corrupt. 

Edited by ban1o

I've known about this case since Sundance and it bummed me out a lot because I was really excited for the film after the early reactions. I feel like you should separate the film from the artist but Nate Parker really is a piece of shit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-birth-of-a-nation-nate-parker-rape-trial-1201836624/

Fuck you, Nate Parker. That was more nauseating that I could have even imagined. You shouldn't even try to act like you have the high ground here. At least other celebrities who have done horrible things don't try to act like they're moral paragons. I hope your movie gets jack shit at the Oscars and it never gets released in theaters.

That said, maybe ten years from now, there can be an objective analysis of this movie, when it's less beneficial for Parker. It's only fair.

That is not fair at all.

The man wasn't proven guilty.  You're coming across as simply vindictive.

This same sort of thing happens to college guys and athletes all over the country every year.  There are more than enough of them that get busted during the investigation and trial process and serve time than to just suppose that because he was an athlete he got off. Guys are rightfully getting busted all the time. It's happening in Baylor. It's happening in Vanderbilt and elsewhere.  If Nate Parker didn't get proven guilty, then the chances are that he didn't commit the crime. The courts have deemed him not guilty and he should be perceived as such. And it was twenty years ago. Not yesterday.  If he had been found guilty and served his time he still shouldn't or couldn't be punished further in any way, but at least then he'd be justifiably loathed. 

I hope his movie performs on its own merit financially and if its Oscar worthy I hope its at least nominated.

8 minutes ago, comicbookguy said:

That is not fair at all.

[bullshit cut out]

I don't care. It's not fair for Nate Parker to insult everyone's intelligence either.

If Nate Parker didn't get proven guilty, then the chances are that he didn't commit the crime.

How stupid are you?

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Man the title of this movie just does not have a good association with it.  The original is  very racist.  And this will have the stain of a rapist on it.

I guess you'd rather have what the original was associated with.  You can at look at the time and context in which it was made.  Plus Griffin made Intolerance as an apology of sorts.

6 minutes ago, comicbookguy said:

That is not fair at all.

The man wasn't proven guilty.  You're coming across as simply vindictive.

This same sort of thing happens to college guys and athletes all over the country every year.  There are more than enough of them that get busted during the investigation and trial process and serve time than to just suppose that because he was an athlete he got off. Guys are rightfully getting busted all the time. It's happening in Baylor. It's happening in Vanderbilt and elsewhere.  If Nate Parker didn't get proven guilty, then the chances are that he didn't commit the crime. The courts have deemed him not guilty and he should be perceived as such. And it was twenty years ago. Not yesterday.  If he had been found guilty and served his time he still shouldn't or couldn't be punished further in any way, but at least then he'd be justifiably loathed. 

I hope his movie performs on its own merit financially and if its Oscar worthy I hope its at least nominated.

Not guilty and innocent are two separate things.

• Like 9

Just now, DAR said:

Man the title of this movie just does not have a good association with it.  The original is  very racist.  And this will have the stain of a rapist on it.

I guess you'd rather have what the original was associated with.  You can at look at the time and context in which it was made.  Plus Griffin made Intolerance as an apology of sorts.

The title is an intentional subversion of a racist movie. I don't have a problem with it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAR said:

The title similarity is completely intentional.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't care. It's not fair for Nate Parker to insult everyone's intelligence either.

Well, a just person would. So I do care. As should anyone else who cares about the justice system and public lynchings. 

The only bullshit is being spewed by people who, two decades later, want to find fault with a man who is innocent. If he had been proven guilty or if there was some other like-minded crimes to help corroborate suspicion, then I can understand. Other then that, it was an accusation that was proven guilty in court. There is no 'insulting of intelligence' there is only picking sides based on whatever arbitrary reasoning you adhere to. I side with the court system. Everything else is subjective emotion-rousing. 'He was accused...therefore he must have done it'.

Why are people ITT mad about his interview? He didn't commit a crime, nor was he proven guilty of any wrong doing. What else was he supposed to say?

Edited by comicbookguy

2 minutes ago, comicbookguy said:

Well, a just person would. So I do care. As should anyone else who cares about the justice system and public lynchings. 

The only bullshit is being spewed by people who, two decades later, want to find fault with a man who is innocent. If he had been proven guilty or if there was some other like-minded crimes to help corroborate suspicion, then I can understand. Other then that, it was an accusation that was proven guilty in court. There is no 'insulting of intelligence' there is only picking sides based on subjective reasoning.

Why are people ITT mad about his interview? He didn't commit a crime, nor was he proven guilty of any wrong doing. What else was he supposed to say?

Ever notice how he didn't actually deny what he did? And that he brought his six-year-old daughter to the interview? Do those actions strike you as something a non piece of shit would do? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Ever notice how he didn't actually deny what he did? And that he brought his six-year-old daughter to the interview? Do those actions strike you as something a non piece of shit would do? 

It isn't worth it. Just walk away.

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

Not guilty and innocent are two separate things.

He's not guilty simply because you or anyone else wants him to be. Nor is he guilty simply because he was accused. The court system, twenty years ago, found him him not guilty and he's insisted on his innocence.

2 minutes ago, comicbookguy said:

He's not guilty simply because you or anyone else wants him to be. Nor is he guilty simply because he was accused. The court system, twenty years ago, found him him not guilty and he's insisted on his innocence.

Because the court system is never wrong.