CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Seriously though if WB knew it was 4 hours, it should have been multiple movies. That's just too much character work to cut down to 2 hours and a half. That gives a lot of legitimacy to the claims that WB knew they had a disaster on their hands and maybe they moved this out of the Summer because they saw this coming after the opening weekend.

I don't get why they couldn't wait one more year for the JL movie. It would have made a lot more money and probably would have been way better received. Instead they slammed it all together and hoped for the best.

It all makes me very curious about that R-rated cut to be honest.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Well a lot of films have an initial rough cut way over the final theatrical length. It's basically everything stitched together before any substantial editing is done.

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

It all makes me very curious about that R-rated cut to be honest.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/you-wont-believe-how-long-the-original-cut-of-batman-v-a139658

It sounds like more then an initial rough cut though. Like a lot of scenes were seriously thrown out (that WB spent a lot of money on) that helped build it and if that's the case then WB should have made it multiple movies. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Seriously though if WB knew it was 4 hours, it should have been multiple movies. That's just too much character work to cut down to 2 hours and a half. That gives a lot of legitimacy to the claims that WB knew they had a disaster on their hands and maybe they moved this out of the Summer because they saw this coming after the opening weekend.

I don't get why they couldn't wait one more year for the JL movie. It would have made a lot more money and probably would have been way better received. Instead they slammed it all together and hoped for the best.

the more I think now. the more it is obvious they should have not made Batman vs Superman yet. They should have made some solo Batman films with Affleck , at least one more Superman film with Cavill and the Wonder Woman movie. Lack of investment in any of these characters is probably a huge hindering factor. They really blew their wad by deciding to do BvS right now. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the more I think now. the more it is obvious they should have not made Batman vs Superman yet. They should have made some solo Batman films with Affleck , at least one more Superman film with Cavill and the Wonder Woman movie. Lack of investment in any of these characters is probably a huge hindering factor. They really blew their wad by deciding to do BvS right now. 

Yep check out that image, it looks like that was more the original idea if that's legit (still rushed but at least better). The second film would have focused on the birth of the JL.

I'm getting more curious about the Ultimate cut too but if this really was supposed to be 2 movies, that explains a lot.

Edited by somebody85

1 hour ago, John Doe said:

The original cut of BvS was 4 hours long, imagine that? 

fu7amc6q1palujr1doem.gif

I suspect the plot would have made a lot more sense, though sitting though it would have been rough.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yes, absolutely. It'd be like if Marvel did the first Captain America movie and then jumped straight to Avengers without the other Phase 1 movies. I mean, other than Iron Man, none of the other phase 1 movies were that great, but collectively they made us care about the arcs of these various characters.

DC opened with their "Avengers" without giving us the non-Superman origin stories. I get that its because they wanted to introduce us to the whole world, since they've got more, less well integrated, side-stories going on, but it still feels like they're leaving a lot of money (and narrative coherency) on the table with this approach.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Yes, absolutely. It'd be like if Marvel did the first Captain America movie and then jumped straight to Avengers without the other Phase 1 movies. I mean, other than Iron Man, none of the other phase 1 movies were that great, but collectively they made us care about the arcs of these various characters.

DC opened with their "Avengers" without giving us the non-Superman origin stories. I get that its because they wanted to introduce us to the whole world, since they've got more, less well integrated, side-stories going on, but it still feels like they're leaving a lot of money (and narrative coherency) on the table with this approach.

I'm sure their "Avengers" is supposed to be Justice League.

Come on guys, it's fair to complain about the quality of the films if you dislike them but when it comes to Warner planning its DCU movies' release dates they would have been accused of copying Marvel if they've done it just like Marvel so I find it interesting that they are trying to do it a bit differently from Marvel.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Well a lot of films have an initial rough cut way over the final theatrical length. It's basically everything stitched together before any substantial editing is done.

Yes. It's called an assembly cut. They're always long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Every blockbuster ever made has a 3-and-a-half to 4 hour assembly cut. It's not notable.

Y'all gotta chill.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Come on guys, it's fair to complain about the quality of the films if you dislike them but when it comes to Warner planning its DCU movies' release dates they would have been accused of copying Marvel if they've done it just like Marvel so I find it interesting that they are trying to do it a bit differently from Marvel.

Sure, JL is meant to be their "Avengers" but BvS felt that way for a lot of people because of how many characters were in it. Plus, they hyped it up as being a big deal on the level of TA and AOU.  They were definitely expecting it to do 1b+ at the box office. 

I wanted it to be really good but I just didn't like it, except for Affleck as Batman. The other problem is that now they've got three major characters that I don't care about at all but I'm supposed to be completely on board with right out the gate in the first JL movie. 

Anyway, great opening for JB. I was hoping to see it this weekend but wasn't able to. I'll definitely catch it next weekend. Even with CW coming it should make it passed 300m. 

56 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I agree. Justice League is supposed to be their Avengers. BvS was a unique situation that they had because they could team Batman and Superman up for the first time on the big screen and that alone is a huge cross-over.  WB added Wonder Woman to the movie and it still fell short of expectations. But, WB still has Justice League. A good Justice League movie can make huge money at the BO and launch their DC Universe.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I agree. Justice League is supposed to be their Avengers. BvS was a unique situation that they had because they could team Batman and Superman up for the first time on the big screen and that alone is a huge cross-over.  WB added Wonder Woman to the movie and it still fell short of expectations. But, WB still has Justice League. A good Justice League movie can make huge money at the BO and launch their DC Universe.

First Green Lantern was supposed to launch the DC universe. Then it was Man of Steel. Then it's BvS. Now it's JL?

I didn't like the movie but BvS did "launch" the DC universe in every way it was supposed to.

• Like 4

DCEU was well launched in BVS. Wonder Woman even saw teasers of all the upcoming movies. She then wrote "OMG cannot wai!t" on IMDB but they edited that part out. Maybe it's in the 3 hour version.

• Like 5

DERBY UPDATE:   (ERROR ALERT) - 44 players this week, 75.404 average.   Two new players: Calc60 and Grath.   Welcome!!!  Owiewankenobi, Arlborn returned from last week.  

I made the top 10 to be this:  Barbershop 20.0, Batman 9.0, The Boss 10.0, Criminal 5.90, MBFGW 3.3, Jungle 103, Zoo 8.20, Miracles 1.90, GND2 1.71 and Hardcore Henry 1.48.  Bozly made a costly typo with Batman v Superman.  PanaMovie hung on to the lead and will be the winner. 

PanaMovie

No Prisoners

Matrix4You

Jmorphin

Simionski

Bates

8wombi7

TalismanRing

Rolling Thunder

bapi

Wonka

RandomJC

Wildbill

cannastop

Digoron

Johnny

• Like 4

This year is awesome.

Deadpool

Zootopia

Jungle Book

Civil War

Finding Dory

Suicide Squad

Fantastic Beasts

Rogue One

(a bunch of spectacular flops) :popcorn:

There's something for everyone. You can't say that for every year.

• Like 2