CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

So, this is the first so called disappointment of the year? The happy-index on this forum really plummeted this weekend; first star wars, then deadpool, then zootopia, then the OW of Jungle book, then the schadefreude as a result of the BvS-failure. 2016 has really been a joy to follow because of its successes and failures. but now this, this is just mediocre. mediocre from the perspective of what makes the box office so thrilling and enchanting. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It was sold as Cap vs Iron Man. Iron Man was the real draw. All Iron Man movies (starting in Avengers 1) have opened with 174M or more DOM and around 200M OS. 

Iron Man was this biggest draw of course. But I think that was the purpose for putting him in the movie. Wasn't Batman vs. Superman already announced and they both had the same date? I actually called Iron Man being in the movie before it happened.

Edited by ecstasy

16 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

You and her should sit down and watch all of them in order. 

I've tried. She loses interest when IM isn't in the movie. She likes Thor though.

12 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

The difference is that the major names didn't have to leave their teams. 

Obviously, this was not just a "Captain America" movie. It was "Captain America featuring Iron Man, Spiderman, Black Widow, Ant Man, and Black Panther ... among others". It wasn't a full-on Avengers movie, it didn't have Hulk or Thor, who count for a lot, but it was close to it. 

And yes, equally obviously, that's what accounts for the close to "Avengers" - level box office. If it was just CA, it would have done about $110m OW. 

Not sure why anyone would dispute this?

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

Sunday number should hold, business was solid and shows till this evening are full.

Unsure it can do better like TA as that film had full shows till 11pm on Sunday lol which this may not? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Well in fairness to Lebron, name a superstar who won a championship without huge supporting help. I can't think of one. Maybe Olajuwon in 1994? 

Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, Vernon Maxwell, and many others beg to differ. 

• Like 1

This is how the happy index for each weekend on this forum has been so far this year:
1-3 January -- Great! (Great hold for Star Wars!)
8-10 Jan -- Great! (Star Wars passing 800m!)
15-17 Jan -- Nice! (revenant, Star Wars)
21-24 Jan -- Nice! (Star Wars still going strong. Revenant making nice numbers)
29-31 Jan -- Nice! (Star Wars dropping 21%, close to 900m; KFP3 decent numbers)
5-7 Feb -- OK! (KFP3 is a failure, but SW is over 900m now)
12-14 Feb -- Wow! (Deadpool!)
19-21 Feb -- Great! (Deadpool)

26-28 Feb -- Nice! (Deadpool, Gods of Egypt failure!)
4-6 March -- Nice! (Zootopia, Gods of Egypt dropping 63%)

11-13 Mar -- Great! (Zoo dropping 31%)

18-21 Mar -- Great (Zoo Dropping less than 30%)
25-28 Mar -- OK! (BvS opens with over 160m)
1-3 April -- LOL! (BvS sinking like a rock)
8-10 April -- OK! (BvS still sinking)

15-17 April -- Great! (Jungle Book)

22-24 April -- Nice! (Jungle Book still good)
29-1 May -- OK! 
6-8 May -- Meh...... (180m for CW, BvS's drop)

• Like 1

It is not the Avengers, but it is defenitely not as solo as the other Captain America movies or any stand alone MCU movie when it has more heroes than TA and AOU.  If this is Captain America: Serpent Society featuring cap, bucky, falcon, agent 13 and maybe black widow, and it opens to 180M, nobody will be disappointed. When you have a lineup of the Avengers without Thor and Hulk but with Black Panther and Spiderman, people just expect more than a Cap movie, no matter it is or it is not a pure cap movie.

Edited by phoeeeel
  • Like 3

Just now, DeeCee said:

Excellent, Fantastic, Stupendous number. 

Right within the expected range the  evidence indicated. 

Are you saying Charlize, Tom, Mel, God Miller and you know something we don't ?

21 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Well the parents wouldn't let me pay.

I am bad son again :sadben:

@Sam

Same thing with my parents...so today I just had cash so immediately threw the money down and then it became a hissy fit between me and my dad...

While my fiance is going basically, my god this is the family I am marrying into?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ohana said:

Srsly, It's not a Captain America movie

If it was it wouldn't open with 180M

Everyone knew It's another Avengers movie empowered with Spiderkid and Black Panther and that's the only reason it's opening

85M above the last CA.

That must mean there is no way TDK could be a Batman movie since it increased so much from BB.

26 minutes ago, phoeeeel said:

It is not the Avengers, but it is defenitely not as solo as the other Captain America movies or any stand alone MCU movie when it has more heroes than TA and AOU.  If this is Captain America: Serpent Society featuring cap, bucky, falcon, agent 13 and maybe black widow, and it opens to 180M, nobody will be disappointed. When you have a lineup of the Avengerd without Thor and Hulk but with Black Panther and Spiderman, people just expect more than a Cap movie, no matter it is or it is not a pure cap movie.

I don't see the logic.   Assuming it should make a certain amount based entirely in the assertion that "it's an Avengers movie"....and then when it DOESN'T make that amount....still clinging to the original assertion?

Kinda seems like the box office proved those claiming it was an Avengers movie (or "marketed as an Avengers movie") wrong.

Meanwhile my 180 OW prediction based on it being a Cap sequel with Iron Man is correct!   Have I mentioned that yet?   ;)  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

So, this is the first so called disappointment of the year? The happy-index on this forum really plummeted this weekend; first star wars, then deadpool, then zootopia, then the OW of Jungle book, then the schadefreude as a result of the BvS-failure. 2016 has really been a joy to follow because of its successes and failures. but now this, this is just mediocre. mediocre from the perspective of what makes the box office so thrilling and enchanting. 

That attempt to paint Marvel...the studio who are one of the most successful studios going at the moment...as being saddled with "disappointments" is really stretching reason.   

All Marvel is doing is changing the way CB movies are made, achieving critical approval and/or acclaim with every movie they make, and bringing in millions in revenue in one form or another probably on a daily basis.

I realize there are some fans of another franchise who are pretty desperate to re-imagine CW as some kind of "disappointment"...but come on....really?    CW could be the poster child for "hitting it out of the park".   I wish you luck in trying to re-label this one.

7 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Kinda seems like the box office proved those claiming it was an Avengers movie (or "marketed as an Avengers movie") wrong.

The predictions may be wrong but that doesn't change whether it is an Avengers movie or not. I maintain that this is Avengers 3. It dropped from Avengers 2, which in turn dropped from Avengers 1. 

• Like 1