CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol it's only half an Avengers movie, really. A number of regulars (Jackson, Hemsworth, Ruffalo) are nowhere to be found in it.

They took Hulk and Thor out and added Black Panther, Winter Soldier and Spider-Man in. Plus Ant-Man, who wasn't in AOU. Looks like a fair trade to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

But I can't help but to think that somehow, that's still a disappointment that this couldn't get much higher than BvsS OW?? That's what shocks me the most cause it should've blown right past this like it was nothing, but it didn't, so of all the explanations for it, maybe releasing too many of these so close to one another killed a lot of this???

I think part is that some of the novelty has worn off from seeing all the MCU heroes together. I thought there was a chance the Civil War aspect could have helped counter that, but at the same time, it's not a true Civil War in the film either.

• Like 1

But I can't help but to think that somehow, that's still a disappointment that this couldn't get much higher than BvsS OW?? That's what shocks me the most cause it should've blown right past this like it was nothing, but it didn't, so of all the explanations for it, maybe releasing too many of these so close to one another killed a lot of this???

Well, at least it will have way better legs, we hope.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol it's only half an Avengers movie, really. A number of regulars (Jackson, Hemsworth, Ruffalo) are nowhere to be found in it.

Yup, everyone goes to Avengers movies for those two! :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Beating it by 10-15m (176-181m) is a handy amount in just 3 days. Much higher than 166m.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The lost of Hulk and Thor was offset by the addition of Spidey who's bigger than both.   It also brought in the new characters to the team in Black Panther, Vision, Scarlett Witch and Ant-man.   They were better off calling it "Avengers: Civil War" but I understand that it's still a Cap sequel based on how the story played out.    But by adding all those characters it took away from just "Captain America" terrority, espeically since it's basically following up "Ultron" from last summer.  

25 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Deadpool did very well. I think people are just tired of the same superheroes. 

True but wasn't Deadpool essentially a parody of SH movies? Parody of a genre usually comes at the end of it popularity. But to counter my own argument, Deadpool could be like Scream. Scream parodied slashers so well it revitalized the genre.

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

They took Hulk and Thor out and added Black Panther, Winter Soldier and Spider-Man in. Plus Ant-Man, who wasn't in AOU. Looks like a fair trade to me.

True but Spider-Man has been around on the big screen the past several years (and audiences have cooled on him, in all likelihood) and is Black Panther even that well-known in the comic book world?

With the official Friday's estimate, this is my new breakdown:

Previews - $25,000,000

Friday's business - $50,253,000

Saturday - $54,750,000

Sunday - $43,900,000

$173,903,000

3 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

So, Iron Man 3's true Friday was higher than this. Surprising, if you ask me.

In the scheme of things, it shouldn't be. IM3 was riding the crest of the Avengers wave. Civil War may be a great film — one I really need to get round to seeing at some point — but there's only so long you can pretend to offer something new to audiences before they catch on. 

Once again a few loonies on this site have deflated what's a pretty damn good OW. Hopefully people will keep their heads when it comes to the Infinity Wars (or whatever they're called now).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

BoxOffice has The Jungle Book only doing 18.5M this weekend

Thats really low with Mother's Day right?

That's ridiculous.  That has to be a misprint or a miscalculation.  It'll do more than 21.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

True but wasn't Deadpool essentially a parody of SH movies? Parody of a genre usually comes at the end of it popularity. But to counter my own argument, Deadpool could be like Scream. Scream parodied slashers so well it revitalized the genre.

Deadpool, the hero itself, is not a parody, not really.  It's just a big metaish wink to the audience that MARVEL was kinda forced to flesh out because of its popularity. He's a very well developed full-fledged superhero in the comics these days. I don't think the movie could have worked at all if it was pure parody. There's a lot of heart in that movie that some people can't acknowledge because they dislike the jokes.

• Like 1