CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

10 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

But I can't help but to think that somehow, that's still a disappointment that this couldn't get much higher than BvsS OW?? That's what shocks me the most cause it should've blown right past this like it was nothing, but it didn't, so of all the explanations for it, maybe releasing too many of these so close to one another killed a lot of this???

It's disappointment that the nth appearance of Cap, Stark and some other Avengers a year after a mixed Avengers sequel managed to out-open the first appearance of Wonder Woman and meeting of Batman and Superman on screen by 10-15m?  

So once again the over zealousness of this site has caused people to look at an opening 70% better than the last film in the series, as a disappointment.  I'm sure Marvel and Disney are going to being really heart broken over this.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I think actually Thor and hulk would have added more box office take then Spidey.

I don't think so, at all. Specially not Thor.

People were excited as hell to see Marvel's take on Spider-Man and to see him interact with the other Super-heroes. Come on, don't try to rewrite history, that's just silly.

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I wish I shared your enthusiasm on this, but 10-15M Higher than what BvsS made OW is just perplexing, but like it's been mentioned, maybe this novelty is beginning to wear down, not by much with a stellar opening for this mind you, but just in general.. Perhaps when it comes time to release INFINITY WAR, they'll take into account in releasing it so close to another superhero movie that has the potential to hurt it's sales in the end???

It's doing great. They peaked with the first Avengers film but I think Marvel has done a great job at keeping many audience members still involved with the franchise. Civil War is gonna beat Ultron in the domestic market. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I never expected it to get overly bad reviews. I never understood why people thought it would. I wish we could make RT clubs. Angry Birds over 75% RT would be a club I'd be in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Are you saying this won't hit 500m DOM then? If it opens to 180m it will need a 2.77 multi to get to over 500m DOM.

I definitely don't think it does 500m. Even if it had opened at 195m, I don't think it would've crossed that milestone (though it would've been close).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Clearly fatigue. Opens 70% higher than Cap2. Lol

I would have agreed with you a day ago, but then I looked closer at the production budget. CACW was created as an Avengers film from the start. It's production was 50% higher than Winter's Solider. It's P&A had to be similar to Ultron. So the real comp for CACW is Ultron not Winter's Solider. Now CACW is gonna make a few hundred million in profit if its legs hold up. Great, everyone is happy. But the large pattern is one of diminishing returns. If CACW ends up lower than Ultron with WW BO, then the ROI is gonna be lower considering their costs are pretty similar.

• Like 1

So RDJ and Spider-Man added about 60-80m to Cap3, on just its OW. Probably be good for around an extra 200-250m total, just domestically. Should end up providing a bit of a boost to Black Panther's solo, too.

Edited by Orestes

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I hope we get a salary breakdown for Infinity War lol. That's going to be fun given how large the cast will be.

breaking-bad-huell-money.jpeg  RDJ

2390DDC000000578-2852585-image-2_1417166  Others

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lestranger said:

I would have agreed with you a day ago, but then I looked closer at the production budget. CACW was created as an Avengers film from the start. It's production was 50% higher than Winter's Solider. It's P&A had to be similar to Ultron. So the real comp for CACW is Ultron not Winter's Solider. Now CACW is gonna make a few hundred million in profit if its legs hold up. Great, everyone is happy. But the large pattern is one of diminishing returns. If CACW ends up lower than Ultron with WW BO, then the ROI is gonna be lower considering their costs are pretty similar.

I admit to not be paying attention to it as much as I should, but isn't the OS of this on its way to ending up bigger than Ultron's OS?

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I definitely don't think it does 500m. Even if it had opened at 195m, I don't think it would've crossed that milestone (though it would've been close).

So, our only hope for 500m this year would be Rogue One?

25 minutes ago, Kalo said:

it isn't but everyone blow it out from proportion with hype. including BO analysists. I guess there is some superhero fatigue after all. I wonder if it would have opened higher if BvS was better received... 

I don't think superhero-fatigue did play too much of a factor against CA3.

Actually, i never thought it would out-open JW....but i knew CA3 was gonna open huge regardless. The reason JW opened to $208M is due to nostalgia and that there was no other zeitgeist blockbuster last year in June. And the schools were out that summer.

49 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looks like a 174-182M OW depending on the breaks on Saturday/Sunday. 

The trades and tracking have once again ruined what should have been looked at as an unmitigated triumph. Second continuous summer opener where this happened.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is the next one. Trades will talk about a 150M OW and when it opens with 125M we will call it a bomb. 

44 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Damn, CJohn trolling Marvel loonies in the title when they're already down.

33 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

They shouldn't be down & it's hilarious to me @CJohn thanks.

Erhhh hmmm thanks guys. I am totally taking all the credit for that title. It was 100% all me. :ph34r:

• Like 1