Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

This is a damn good movie.  Garfield was great.  Gibson is...amazing.

Watch this movie.  Its the real deal.

Great movie.  Fantastic movie.  Wow.  I cannot recommend this enough.  It's brutal, it's not easy, but man it's good.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 12

the realism was a little too much for me but that is a positive , and surprisingly reigned in on the pathos not easy feat given subject and plot ! 

gibson is def up there with great directors ! best of luck to him if they can separate polanski the man from the director then they can do the same for him and judge his film on its on merits , one of the best pictures of the year !

• Like 1

Got 100% on my Desmond Doss essay (only one in the class to do so). Teacher said he was impressed with how much info I was able to get on someone who up until the movie went into production not a lot of people knew of. He said I made him interested in the story so him and his family are going to see it this weekend (his son is my age so it's not going to be like taking a 5 year old into a R rated movie).

• Like 9

Pretty damn impressive. The second half definitely felt like the most visceral, unflinching cinematic depiction of warfare since SPR. And it's all the more effective when juxtaposed with Doss' convictions; there's nothing contradictory about this approach, you need to see the extreme gore and brutality to understand just what he was willing to face. A whole bunch of moments were genuinely awe-inspiring.

More mixed on the first half. There are some compelling moments there (Weaving's whole character, Doss feeling floored when he's casually told that he just saved somebody's life), but mostly it's rushed and corny, especially the romantic subplot. The broad-strokes approach works both for and against it. Vaughn as dramatic actor is True Detective Season 2 all over again, I wasn't buying him at first but he convinced me by the end. And Gibson deserves some kind of a special award for making BOTH Sam Worthington and Luke Bracey - the "I believe that, like me, the people behind these robberies are extreme athletes" guy! - interesting and likable.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, misafeco said:

There is a pretty big difference in critic and GA regarding this movie. While critics were overall positive (85% on RT) the average is only 7.1 (ok-good), the audience clearly appreciated it more.

This always happens, critics and audience always have different emphases.

Am I the only one feeling emotionnaly manipulated with these movies ' Base on a True Story" when at the end, you have some footage of the real person to make you go home with a little tear on your cheek ?

It is getting a little bit predictable.

I liked how it was done. It shows the movie was factual, as opposed to just "loosely based". 

Watch the feature length documentary on the guy called "The Contientious Objector". It was made several years ago, and having seen it I can tell you that it looks like everything in the movie seems to be true. In fact, I'd say it's the first movie I've seen where I thought they held back on heroics. 

I'll agree that the actual footage adds a lot of emotion. But I don't agree with the manipulation part. 

Great movie though!!!!

• Like 5

I saw this yesterday after watching Moana (which was really good) and I have to say, I agree with most people that this was very good.  It took a bit to get going for me, but once it did, it was pretty incredible.  It was a good day of movie watching for me yesterday :) 

• Like 6