The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Number 61

Vertigo (1958)

39 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 40.7143)

Vertigomovie_restoration.jpg

"You shouldn't keep souvenirs of a killing. You shouldn't have been that sentimental."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Ranking Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (79, +18)

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: N/A

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: John "Scottie" Ferguson is a retired San Francisco police detective who suffers from acrophobia and Madeleine is the lady who leads him to high places. A wealthy shipbuilder who is an acquaintance from college days approaches Scottie and asks him to follow his beautiful wife, Madeleine. He fears she is going insane, maybe even contemplating suicide, because she believes she is possessed by a dead ancestor. Scottie is skeptical, but agrees after he sees the beautiful Madeleine. 

Critic Synopsis: "Why is this movie Hitchcock's masterpiece? Because no movie plunges us more deeply into the dizzying heart of erotic obsession. Because in Jimmy Stewart's fetishtic pursuit of mystery woman Kim Novak--whom he transforms into the image of the dead w oman he loved--Hitchcock created the cinema's most indelible metaphor for the objectification of desire. Because Stewart, playing a man free-falling into love, responds with a performance so harrowing in its ferocity it must have surprised even himself. Because Novak, that great slinky cat, imbues her double role with a mesmerizing poignance. Because the impeccable, dreamlike images of this ghostly Liebestod are so eerily beautiful they stay in your head forever. And because the older you get, and the m ore times you see it, the more strange, chillingly romantic thriller pierces your heart." - David Ansen

User Synopsis: "i was wondering how hitchcock's most acclaimed movie would turn out. quite well, apprently. probably is his best." - lisa

Personal Comment: Alfred Hitchcock strikes the list again with the third movie on the list from the 1950s, and this is probably my personal favorite Hitchcock movie.  Vertigo is often not as well remembered as some of Hitchcock's other works, mostly because it doesn't play as conventionally as some of the other famous films that made the list like Psycho or North by Northwest.  The film is a visual powerhouse and a unique experience that I no other film has been able to replicate for me.

• Like 13

Number 60

Batman Begins (2005)

40 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 43)

batman_begins_ver6_xlg.jpg

"And one day, you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed, so you would be spared your pain."

Top 5 Placements:  1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (51, -9), 2013 (61, +1), 2012 (44, -16)

Tomatometer: 85%

Box Office: 205.34m (274.86m Adjused)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: When his parents were killed, billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne relocates to Asia when he is mentored by Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. When learning about the plan to wipe out evil in Gotham City by Ducard, Bruce prevents this plan from getting any further and heads back to his home. Back in his original surroundings, Bruce adopts the image of a bat to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Batman'. But it doesn't stay quiet for long. 

Critic Opinion: "Batman Begins' dark-hued cinematography imbues the film with a relentlessly grim tone, creating a somber pall which adults may appreciate but which might be too scary for kids under the age of ten. Do not expect to have the tension cut by silly asides, since director Nolan has avoided distractions which would undercut the emotional tension.

Other features are Batmobile and Batsuit upgrades, state-of-the-art gadgetry, and spectacular chase scenes and fight sequences. Rachel has blossomed into a beautiful woman who is an assistant district attorney, but Bruce Wayne doesn't notice her, and as Batman, he is an obsessed super hero on a mission. No need for such distractions at this point since this story is about the genesis of the legend. The love interest may come in a sequel." - Kam Williams

User Opinion: "Spectacular origin story, I love this story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman. Christian Bale plays the best Bruce Wayne. This film easily only superhero movie where I really care about the character." - Dexter of Suburbia

Personal Comment: Nolan makes his way back onto the list with his second film so far, how many more will he be able to rack up here?  Batman Begins is the first DC film to make the list and also the first Batman movie to make the list.  Batman Begins is also the 8th movie from the 2000s decade to make the countdown tying it with the 80s for the second most films on the countdown so far (and just one behind the 2010s for the number one spot).  Batman Begins is highly revered on this forum due to its deep worship of Lord Nolan and Comic Book movies, so of course if you take these two idols and combine them you'll receive the result of intense love these Nolan Batflicks have gotten.

• Like 16

Vertigo is one of the movies I've watched most on DVD. I think it was at least 5 times, just because it clicked for me so much. I was preoccupied with it for quite some time, just like I am now with Zootopia.

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, DAR said:

It probably got a C- though,

LOL.....yes.  Lisa's review for a film she likes:

"Great lightning, good direction, it was good. But still kind of stupid.  C+"  :lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

LOL.....yes.  Lisa's review for a film she likes:

"Great lightning, good direction, it was good. But still kind of stupid.  C+"  :lol:

“ truly an all-timer" - B-

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Number 60

Batman Begins (2005)

40 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 43)

batman_begins_ver6_xlg.jpg

"And one day, you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed, so you would be spared your pain."

Top 5 Placements:  1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (51, -9), 2013 (61, +1), 2012 (44, -16)

Tomatometer: 85%

Box Office: 205.34m (274.86m Adjused)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: When his parents were killed, billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne relocates to Asia when he is mentored by Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. When learning about the plan to wipe out evil in Gotham City by Ducard, Bruce prevents this plan from getting any further and heads back to his home. Back in his original surroundings, Bruce adopts the image of a bat to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Batman'. But it doesn't stay quiet for long. 

Critic Opinion: "Batman Begins' dark-hued cinematography imbues the film with a relentlessly grim tone, creating a somber pall which adults may appreciate but which might be too scary for kids under the age of ten. Do not expect to have the tension cut by silly asides, since director Nolan has avoided distractions which would undercut the emotional tension.

Other features are Batmobile and Batsuit upgrades, state-of-the-art gadgetry, and spectacular chase scenes and fight sequences. Rachel has blossomed into a beautiful woman who is an assistant district attorney, but Bruce Wayne doesn't notice her, and as Batman, he is an obsessed super hero on a mission. No need for such distractions at this point since this story is about the genesis of the legend. The love interest may come in a sequel." - Kam Williams

User Opinion: "Spectacular origin story, I love this story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman. Christian Bale plays the best Bruce Wayne. This film easily only superhero movie where I really care about the character." - Dexter of Suburbia

Personal Comment: Nolan makes his way back onto the list with his second film so far, how many more will he be able to rack up here?  Batman Begins is the first DC film to make the list and also the first Batman movie to make the list.  Batman Begins is also the 8th movie from the 2000s decade to make the countdown tying it with the 80s for the second most films on the countdown so far (and just one behind the 2010s for the number one spot).  Batman Begins is highly revered on this forum due to its deep worship of Lord Nolan and Comic Book movies, so of course if you take these two idols and combine them you'll receive the result of intense love these Nolan Batflicks have gotten.

Da4Z5yc.gif

Didn't make my Top 100 but still, one of 4 superhero films I could accept on this countdown.

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

BB? Oof.

(Sorry, @MrPink, @4815162342, and @redfirebird2008)

I've had enough of your snide insinuations

• Like 2