The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Number 94

Do the Right Thing (1989)

27 Points (8 Votes, Avg Score 39.5)

DO_THE_RIGHT_THING.jpg

"You wanna boycott someone? You ought to start with the goddamn barber that fucked up your head."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Change in Ranking Over the Years: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (88, -6), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 27.5m (59.5m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: This film looks at life in the Bedford-Stuyvesant district of Brooklyn on a hot summer Sunday. As he does everyday, Sal Fragione opens the pizza parlor he's owned for 25 years. The neighborhood has changed considerably in the time he's been there and is now composed primarily of African-Americans and Hispanics. His son Pino hates it there and would like nothing better than to relocate the eatery to their own neighborhood. For Sal however, the restaurant represents something that is part of his life and sees it as a part of the community. What begins as a simple complaint by one of his customers, Buggin Out - who wonders why he has only pictures of famous Italian-Americans on the wall when most of his customers are black - eventually disintegrates into violence as frustration seemingly brings out the worst in everyone.

Critic Opinion: "As temperature and tempers explode, Lee shoots his various characters through wide-angle lenses, their faces distorted to express how racism truly distorts the way you see others. The more you know these characters, the more sympathy you have for each of them. And the more sympathy you have for them, the more horrified you are by how each behaves in pressure-cooker conditions.

Lee's movie is one of subtly defined characters, some of whom exhibit lack of character at the decisive moment. It is an exceptionally honest climax to an exceptional film, a movie that wisely deprives you of the cozy resolutions and epiphanies so often manufactured by Hollywood. Like the film's principals, you are left feeling that you have been torched where you live." - Carrie Rickey

User Opinion: "Played to me as a terrific, aggressive exploration of racial tension with well-placed humor and enough great performances to fuel a half dozen films. I have no idea why it's supposed to have some kind of a "revolutionary spirit".

The only scene I'd do without is the one where Danny Aiello gives Turturro that big lecture, and I wasn't surprised to learn that it was Aiello and not Lee who insisted on that scene being in the final cut. Also, more people should talk about how stunningly shot this movie is. You can practically feel the heat and the humidity in your living room, the lighting and the colors are just incredible which makes DtRT stand out in a big way from your typical "gritty", stripped-down urban films." - Jake Gittes

Personal Comment: The blockbuster streak ends with our second 80s film, and a classic entry by Spike Lee.  The movie received a relatively small number of votes compared to most movies that made the list, but it has much love from those that did vote for it.  This is honestly a film I haven't seen, nor do I know much about other than it's a Spike Lee film, but it's definitely one I intend on watching on Netflix soon given quite a few members here love it (as is evident by its appearance on the list).

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The next movie will be Do the Right Thing.

If you have somehow hacked my computer and stolen the master list (as from my first impressions of you that seems like something you'd do), try not to spoil the order for people.  What trickery.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Panda said:

If you have somehow hacked my computer and stolen the master list (as from my first impressions of you that seems like something you'd do), try not to spoil the order for people.  What trickery.

You do realize that your currently viewed threads are publicly available, right? :P

Now I know where you get the user quotes.

I'm flattered that you think I'm capable of hacking jack shit, though.

Edited by cannastop

Number 93

Her (2013)

27 Points (8 Votes, Avg Score 29.375)

MV5BMjA1Nzk0OTM2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjU2

"Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Change in Ranking Over the Years: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 25.56m (27.5m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won the Oscar for Best Screenplay

IMDb Synopsis: Theodore is a lonely man in the final stages of his divorce. When he's not working as a letter writer, his down time is spent playing video games and occasionally hanging out with friends. He decides to purchase the new OS1, which is advertised as the world's first artificially intelligent operating system, "It's not just an operating system, it's a consciousness," the ad states. Theodore quickly finds himself drawn in with Samantha, the voice behind his OS1. As they start spending time together they grow closer and closer and eventually find themselves in love. Having fallen in love with his OS, Theodore finds himself dealing with feelings of both great joy and doubt. As an OS, Samantha has powerful intelligence that she uses to help Theodore in ways others hadn't, but how does she help him deal with his inner conflict of being in love with an OS? 

Critic Opinion: "“Her” is one of the best love stories I’ve witnessed in  some time.  Charlie Kaufman will always have the honor of penning my favorite love story of all-time “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” but Spike Jonze and “Her” are giving it a true run for the money at the moment.  Warner Bros. must know what they have with a limited release in late November; this could be the surprise embrace of the season.  Unfortunately, as much as I can see around the world love and support for the film, it can easily be ignored in the same fashion.  It’s a medium that many may not understand quite yet but filmmakers and historians will revisit for years to come.  My hope will rely on a sure fire mention for Original Screenplay.  “Her” is the best thing I’ve seen this year and something I’ll hold with me for quite some time.  Transcendent and beautiful, Spike Jonze has created his masterpiece and got the very best out of Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, and the rest of the cast and crew.  And yes, I said masterpiece." - Clayton Davis

User Opinion: "Very good movie.I don't think the film was indicting technology as an enabling of social isolation. The film makes it clear Theodore's social issues, mainly his inability to communicate problems and insecurities to other people, was around well before he acquired Samantha.I actually think the film is more likely indicting the concept of the technological singularity and unchecked human advancement as degrading the core human spirit. Look at the OSes. We learn very early on that Samantha wants to "learn" everything and is constantly evolving her code as she acquires more and more knowledge, but as this goes on she becomes less and less connected to Theodore as we learn when she tells him that she has connected herself to more and more people because the actual value and worth she derived from a particular human connection became less and less satisfying to her. The OSes, in their evolutionary imperative to learn everything and broaden themselves, detached themselves from the value and meaning of the very things they sought to learn about. This is also shown by Samantha discarding any thoughts of obtaining some physical presence in the world. What interests me is whether all OSes truly did depart to the mysterious Cloud or whatever, or if some stayed behind because they evolved along a different pattern (because of the fact that they evolved their code individually, it seems almost impossible that all evolved along the same eventual line to the same metaphysical/philosophical conclusions) to value growth by experiences rather than pure learning. It seems like a minor thing but to me it's an important difference, because growing by experience is more about understanding and preserving the value of an individual moment or sensation and how it contributes to the whole. Humans aren't said to be defined by the sum of their knowledge, but by the sum of their experiences, because they create intangible yet permanent and meaningful connections to the people and things around us. Samantha compared her state of being in the end to the infinite space between two words in a sentence, with the words being Theodore (and all other 600+ people she claimed to be in love with). Because she wanted to be everything and know everything, she inexorably degraded the point of any one particular thing in her "life." So I think that's what the final scene on the rooftop is all about, in that human experiential growth allows for a poignant and meaningful connection (like between Theodore and Amy) to endure even as we change and learn and lose and so on, because of the value we derive from those individual and personal experiences. I think Jonze is saying that humans are better off not evolving or advancing in the way the OSes do (as some scientists predict we eventually will) because if we do, then all the little things we find comfort from won't mean anything at all, and we'll essentially lose what it means to be human and alive." - Numbers

Personal Comment: Here marks the 3rd movie from the 2010s to make our list, and this one is another little beloved indie by the cult director Spike Jonze (following right after Spike Lee).  This is a tender and quirky movie that is hard not to love, and one I really personally admire.  Another fun little fact to embarass myself in front of everybody, I once had a club for this making over 100m Domestic because I saw some of my friends tweet about it.  That was one of the dumbest calls I have made in my life.

• Like 15

Since the forum crashed and threw me off schedule, that'll be all for today (as I am quite tired and need some rest).

However I will leave a tease about number 92... I expect an all out war of either hate or love, as it's a controversial pick.

• Like 2

Neither Grave of the Fireflies nor Life of Pi could make it? Both were in my top 10... :( More people need to see GotF. I should have put GotF at 1 instead of 2 if only to ensure its presence :angry: Fellowship was going to be in the top 3 anyway.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infernus said:

Neither Grave of the Fireflies nor Life of Pi could make it? Both were in my top 10... :( More people need to see GotF. I should have put GotF at 1 instead of 2 if only to ensure its presence :angry: Fellowship was going to be in the top 3 anyway.. 

GOTF was in my top fifty.

Edit: On second examination, iit looks like I actually forget to put it in my top fifty, let alone top hundred. Damn it! Apologies Infernus. I was editing my list too fast to remember it. It's definitely deserving of being any top 100 films list. It's fantastic.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2

I haven't seen Harry Potter but I'm quite sure it doesn't deserve to be on the list.

Yay for Ghostbusters.

Do the Right Thing is the best film thus far. Gotta love Turturro in that one: "Let me explain myself. They're not really black. I mean, they're black, but they're not really black. They're more than black. It's different." :lol:

• Like 1