CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

though not as desperate as that Movie for little girls tweet. That was beyond cringe quote-whoring.

I didn’t see that one but just him even emphasising the words, he’s in need of some attention lol

In terms of live action remakes, I think the ones where they aren't so slavish to the source material are my favourites like The Jungle Book, Cruella, Pete's Dragon and Christopher Robin. 

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one where Disney could get away with being closer to the novel than the animated film if they ever do a live action adaptation, the stage adaptation does that and it works. It probably wouldn't be as financially successful but it would be warmly received.

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Filmmaker driven projects are not in Disney's wheelhouse, never have been and never will be. 

It's no different to adapting comic books to films and remakes in general. Keep in mind that while Disney has done more in recent years, the remakes of the animated films started in the 90s with the 1994 Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians.  

Well I'm not much of a fan of the Marvel machine either but at least those are mostly stories that haven't been adapted to cinema before

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Lol that second person is really desperate to get his quote pulled for ads.

If I were marketing, I would have picked it up because he made my job so easy for me by conveniently typing only the ADJECTIVES in blocks :lol:  Respect the hustle.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

In terms of live action remakes, I think the ones where they aren't so slavish to the source material are my favourites like The Jungle Book, Cruella, Pete's Dragon and Christopher Robin. 

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one where Disney could get away with being closer to the novel than the animated film if they ever do a live action adaptation, the stage adaptation does that and it works. It probably wouldn't be as financially successful but it would be warmly received.

Cruella isn't even a remake. It's a prequel.

Some of these aren't bad. I liked Cinderella and Cruella a good bit. Especially Cruella. Very fun. Jungle Book is good too. The others aren't great. My favorite one thing about any one of these even though it's a pretty bad movie overall is below. And, it's by my favorite thing.

Helena bonham carter GIF - Find on GIFER

6 hours ago, jedijake said:

And a critic should never say a movie is unnecessary or nobody asked for it. That just means they had their minds made up years ago when the movie was announced and are not criticizing the movie for the movie's sake but for their own interests. Just as that would dismiss someone from being an impartial juror, it should dismiss someone from being an impartial movie critic.

If its just going to be a worse version of something that already exists (with minimal changes) I dont see how it can be described as anything other than "unnecessary"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

If its just going to be a worse version of something that already exists (with minimal changes) I dont see how it can be described as anything other than "unnecessary"

Worse is subjective which is fine since that's basically what critics opinions are, but a lot of people prefer live action or at the very least are curious to see it in that medium.

27 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it funny that live action adaptations are frowned upon but yet musical stage adaptations of movies are acceptable to people. 

Seeing something play out before you in real life is a much different experience than watching a movie. Why compare plays and movies to start with?

Anyways, the live action remakes of animation often suck because they lose all the charm. Stage plays have to get very creative to adapt anything fantasy or sci fi, and as such usually end up being very charming. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Lurrrrk said:

Will the Little Mermaid be the first big-budget movie led by a black woman to make more of it's money internationally than domestically? I could see it.

Does The Bodyguard not count because it's peak Kevin Costner? 
It always felt more like a Whitney vehicle. 
He's the boring straight man, she's front and center acting and singing those inescapable songs. 

He could have been played by anyone, she could not. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Filmmaker driven projects are not in Disney's wheelhouse, never have been and never will be. 

David Lowery managed to get this stamp on Pete's Dragon and especially Peter Pan & Wendy tho. If Rob Marshall managed to do a solid little job with TLM, then Lowery may have knocked it out of the park

59 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Does The Bodyguard not count because it's peak Kevin Costner? 
It always felt more like a Whitney vehicle. 
He's the boring straight man, she's front and center acting and singing those inescapable songs. 

He could have been played by anyone, she could not. 

This. Bodyguard was a legit WH vehicle, an original IP unlike LM which is a famous brand where popular singer is an added value but not the main draw. Bodyguard only had WH and Costner and considering the iconic soundtrack, WH was the main draw by far. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2