kayumanggi

WONDER WOMAN | 409.2 M overseas ● 821.8 M worldwide

WW had an increase this weekend here in my country. WOW

From deadline:

Still kicking ass overseas after three frames, WB/DC’s Amazon warrior cuffed $39.5M on roughly 16,390 screens in a total of 62 markets. The running international cume is now $297.2M. The global gross is $571.8M.

The Gal Gadot-starrer has now topped the offshore lifetimes of The Wolverine, Thor and Iron Man. Germany was a new play at No. 1 while the UK and Brazil held the top spot this session.

In China, the princess landed 3rd with a total to date of $82.7M. (On deck in the Middle Kingdom, Michael Bay’s Transformers: The Last Knight will suck all air out of the market this week.) Regionally, EMEA dipped 42% and Lat Am by 26%. Asia has put Diana Prince on top of Man Of Steel, Suicide Squad and Guardians 2.

Germany‘s bow came in on par with Man Of Steel, and was well ahead of Marvel comps including The First Avenger and Ant-Man. Holland also joined the charge with $982K (875K euros), including sneaks, on 186 screens. And Norway debuted to $810K (NOK 6.9M), including sneaks, on 240 screens, ranking a clear No. 1 and on par with Logan.

The Top 5 markets are China ($82.7M), Brazil ($23.7M/+16%), the UK ($20.7M), Mexico ($18.9M) and Australia ($15.3M).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KathNiel said:

Europe disappoints though. Lol.

Expected, Europe is a declining continent and the film has everything they do not like (and superhero movies are not very strong here), it's still going well in some countries.

But going well in the domestic market, Latin America and Asia, Wonder Woman simply does not need Europe, Harry Potter//007/Lord of the Rings need Europe to be a big success, Wonder Woman and superhero movies in general do not.

Edited by bruchav

20 minutes ago, bruchav said:

Expected, Europe is a declining continent and the film has everything they do not like (and superhero movies are not very strong here), it's still going well in some countries.

But going well in the domestic market, Latin America and Asia, Wonder Woman simply does not need Europe, Harry Potter / Lord of the Rings need Europe to be a success, Wonder Woman and superhero movies in general do not.

I agree. Most of Asia and LA are still not saturated markets. But a little more boost from Europe would have made WW the number one superhero origin movie of all time. :D

1 hour ago, bruchav said:

But going well in the domestic market, Latin America and Asia, Wonder Woman simply does not need Europe, Harry Potter//007/Lord of the Rings need Europe to be a big success, Wonder Woman and superhero movies in general do not.

Domestic and Latin America are performing fantastic for sure. I think Asia's numbers are okay but nothing impressive and way behind relative to Latin America and North America proportionally (based on market size). Numbers in China and South Korea are decent for a DC film but well under the potential for the superhero genre.

Edited by KP1025

7 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Domestic and Latin America are performing fantastic for sure. I think Asia's numbers are okay but nothing impressive and way behind relative to Latin America and North America proportionally. Numbers in China and South Korea are decent for a DC film but well under the potential for the superhero genre.

WW has done great in few other asian markets. Philipines, Taiwan etc. In China it matched the 1st guardians and not too far from the sequel. I think its quite good overall. it has potential to grow with sequel as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Domestic and Latin America are performing fantastic for sure. I think Asia's numbers are okay but nothing impressive and way behind relative to Latin America and North America proportionally (based on market size). Numbers in China and South Korea are decent for a DC film but well under the potential for the superhero genre.

The numbers in South Korea are decent at best, but not great, I agree.

But in China. What superhero movies are you talking about? Avengers? A team movie? Because Wonder Woman is not "well under"  other solo superhero movies here (as you say), and Wonder Woman is doing very well (and better than most) other solo superhero movies in other major Asian markets such as Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan.

Of course Wonder Woman is not with fantastic numbers elsewhere as it is in Latin America and in the domestic market, otherwise Wonder Woman would make 1 billion easily, Lol, but Wonder Woman will be one of the biggest origin superhero  movies of all  Time, and will beat 90% of  solos superhero  movies (including MCU movies) Worldwide.

Edited by bruchav
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bruchav said:

The numbers in South Korea are decent at best, but not great, I agree.

But in China. What superhero movies are you talking about? Avengers? A team movie? Because Wonder Woman is not "well under"  other solo superhero movies here (as you say), and Wonder Woman is doing very well (and better than most) other solo superhero movies in other major Asian markets such as Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan.

I know very well what I'm talking about.

Yes, perhaps it was unfair of me to expect Wonder Woman to perform as well as movies with multiple superheroes. I believe the ceiling is actually quite a bit higher in China for solo superhero movies as IM3 demonstrated (its $121 million in 2013 would be equivalent to over $200 million today).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Yes, perhaps it was unfair of me to expect Wonder Woman to perform as well as movies with multiple superheroes. I believe the ceiling is actually quite a bit higher in China for solo superhero movies as IM3 demonstrated (its $121 million in 2013 would be equivalent to over $200 million today).

But I doubt that even Iron Man 3 would make $ 200m in China nowadays, not even Civil war did it, and most thought that Guardians of Galaxy 2 would make $ 150- $ 160m in China, but ended up making $99m, superhero movies are not as big in China as some people think (maybe Avengers, maybe), they are not Fast and Furious or Transformers.

• Like 3