La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

2 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Who knows?  TMNT opened in August when pretty much all schools weren't in session, while TMNT2 is opening  when not every single school is out

Going by your logic, Finding Dory will open way above Finding Nemo because not every school was out when Nemo came out and most will when Dory is out.

1 minute ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Who knows?  TMNT opened in August when pretty much all schools weren't in session, while TMNT2 is opening  when not every single school is out

Not true. A lot of Southern schools have been out for a full week or longer and are back in session the first/second week of August. 

July is pretty much the only universal month that no schools, K-12, are in session. 

2 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

The original poster compared the two, not me.  And I think we have to take those differences into account.  And again my original post was in regard to saying I don't think it can match the original.  245 still wouldn't do that, obviously.  I could be way off, but I just don't get the vibe that many people are excited for this film.  Is there any tracking out yet?  I'm also interested to see if Tarzan can get great reviews because I do think it could be a factor.  It's a huge uphill battle but if it's a great film and could surprise like Planet of the Apes did a few years back it could certainly cut into ID legs.

Tarzan is gonna flop. No one asked for it, and the marketing has been meh. 

Everyone is gonna see either IDR, Dory, Central Intelligence or The Purge 3/Shallows on 4th of July Weekend. 

I don't really think the box office is "depressed" like people keep saying-people just don't want to see the movies that are out over this one month span. Everything has a completely reasonable explanation for doing exactly what it did, and they would have done so in any climate. Civil War has audience fatigue (and lulz piracy), Neighbors 2, Alice, and TMNT2 are shitty looking sequels to movies with meh reception, and X-Men lost the entire original cast and had no real "hook" to it- not to mention the bad reviews. Conjuring 2, ID42 (maybe), Central Intelligence, and Dory all seem ripe to do very well. I don't think it's a condition of the box office/movie economy. It's just a slate of movies that regular people don't care that much about (outside of Civil War, but even there I have a lot to say about how audiences over 40 are sick of superhero movies). 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I think they started at 7.

Other people were saying they started at 5, there was discussion about how early they have to be before it would stop being called a 'preview'...  But for a kids' movie it makes sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Tarzan is gonna flop. No one asked for it, and the marketing has been meh. 

There are plenty of movies no one "asked for" that turn into some kind of hit. 

It may flop, it may not but the "no one asked for it" is not a sturdy answer. Maybe they are marketing it in places you don't see. That happens with me for some films. I later find out they blitz a few stations I don't frequent for 'x' film. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Hotel Transylvania 2 is a perfect example.

The first was well-liked, but nobody really wanted to continue Dracula's story. Yet the second one outgrossed the first one due to a lack of family competition.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, trifle said:

Other people were saying they started at 5, there was discussion about how early they have to be before it would stop being called a 'preview'...  But for a kids' movie it makes sense.

Your Avatar picture is life.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

It may flop, it may not but the "no one asked for it" is not a sturdy answer. Maybe they are marketing it in places you don't see. That happens with me for some films. I later find out they blitz a few stations I don't frequent for 'x' film. 

boom.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I find it funny that The Legend of Tarzan is called The Legend of Tarzan and yet the eponymous character doesn't have a single line the whole trailer.

Henry Cavill Syndrome.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I find it funny that The Legend of Tarzan is called The Legend of Tarzan and yet the eponymous character doesn't have a single line the whole trailer.

He's Tarzan, you're Jane.

44 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't really think the box office is "depressed" like people keep saying-people just don't want to see the movies that are out over this one month span. Everything has a completely reasonable explanation for doing exactly what it did, and they would have done so in any climate. Civil War has audience fatigue (and lulz piracy), Neighbors 2, Alice, and TMNT2 are shitty looking sequels to movies with meh reception, and X-Men lost the entire original cast and had no real "hook" to it- not to mention the bad reviews. Conjuring 2, ID42 (maybe), Central Intelligence, and Dory all seem ripe to do very well. I don't think it's a condition of the box office/movie economy. It's just a slate of movies that regular people don't care that much about (outside of Civil War, but even there I have a lot to say about how audiences over 40 are sick of superhero movies). 

Why are you putting Civil War along those movies? "Audience fatigue" doesn't make a movie open to $170M+.

• Like 5