CJohn

The Nun | The Conjuring Cinematic Universe | Sep 7 2018 | WB | Corin Hardy. IMAX confirmed

Just now, JB33 said:

Shouldn't you be concerned about the lack of racial diversity in this????????

Demián Bichir is Mexican, and is one of the prominent roles in this. On top of this, there is a black woman on this cast...more than I can say for big blockbusters.

Nevertheless, the issue is not just in this movie. Horror for a long time is known for not favoring racial diversity, and while I appreciate the notion white people be dying, I would like see stronger representation in this genre.

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

Shouldn't you be concerned about the lack of racial diversity in this????????

In Romania?!

*off-top on

East Europe, especially many years ago, was totally Caucasian. What does it mean- totally? Well, we also have slavery history and they were (slaves) white.

**off-top off

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the director's previous work, and this is possibly the strongest thread in the tapestry of the Conjuring universe. Let's be honest, Nuns can be effortlessly frightening. Their moral authority of a stern motherly brood taps into very deep fears. The last person you want to piss off is your mother (or a figure similar to her). However, some of the clips seem to teeter on the brink of parody. I hope that isn't the case for the final product. I do think the marketing has done its job to seal a decent opening and overall box office take, though.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

In Romania?!

*off-top on

East Europe, especially many years ago, was totally Caucasian. What does it mean- totally? Well, we also have slavery history and they were (slaves) white.

**off-top off

I wasn't serious. I was referring to a pretentious post she made in another thread.

• ...wtf 1

People are so silly with these racial things... It's so boring. Like, look at "Mamma Mia 2". Even though it is not important or historically relevant, they put a black woman playing harmonica in 1981 setting on a Greek island. Coming from that part of the world, how on earth can I explain Americans why the chances of something like that were slim to no existent without people jumping and calling me racist for the lack of their knowledge of geography and history... Anyways, my point is - this "inclusive" bullshit Hollywood is trying to sell looks so cringe worthy now. It went from being a good idea to complete nonsense where historical accuracy is irrelevant compared to "let's put a Chinese here and black guy there, so we can look like UN poster" tactic. In a long run it won't help at all.

I'm going to give an example of "my people" (I'm half Serbian, half Croatian). We were never portrayed as anything else but criminals, drug or (and) organ smugglers, etc. I don't really think that putting one or two Serbians/Croatians in a random film will make any difference in positive perspective of us, nor that it truly matters tbh. The "solution" is that there should be way more better scripts, because there is a lot of stories in every culture, within every ethnicity, and it's not necessary to pressure it to be seen with little to no context.

Something that is also worth mentioning is that all of us live, more or less, to our stereotypes and even if they are portrayed it's not necessarily a bad thing. People became way to sensitive these days and it affects overall quality. You can't even make good jokes, because if god forbid they insult someone it's unforgivable. That's how we killed good humor. And that's how we ruined a lot of dramas, because the stories suffered in order to be racially/ethnically correct without caring how the overall product will turn out.

Therefore, I think that thinking about "lack of diversity" in "The Nun" would be nonsense. 1950's Romania, my neighboring country, was, as it is today very white and that has nothing to do with lack of diversity. It has to do with geography and history, and our part of Europe will most likely always be predominantly white (with some exceptions of tourists and Roma people, who are biologically also classified as white). That would be the same if you would go in the middle of China and wonder white everyone are yellow.

Therefore, I hope it was just a joke about diversity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

People are so silly with these racial things... It's so boring. Like, look at "Mamma Mia 2". Even though it is not important or historically relevant, they put a black woman playing harmonica in 1981 setting on a Greek island. Coming from that part of the world, how on earth can I explain Americans why the chances of something like that were slim to no existent without people jumping and calling me racist for the lack of their knowledge of geography and history... Anyways, my point is - this "inclusive" bullshit Hollywood is trying to sell looks so cringe worthy now. It went from being a good idea to complete nonsense where historical accuracy is irrelevant compared to "let's put a Chinese here and black guy there, so we can look like UN poster" tactic. In a long run it won't help at all.

I'm going to give an example of "my people" (I'm half Serbian, half Croatian). We were never portrayed as anything else but criminals, drug or (and) organ smugglers, etc. I don't really think that putting one or two Serbians/Croatians in a random film will make any difference in positive perspective of us, nor that it truly matters tbh. The "solution" is that there should be way more better scripts, because there is a lot of stories in every culture, within every ethnicity, and it's not necessary to pressure it to be seen with little to no context.

Something that is also worth mentioning is that all of us live, more or less, to our stereotypes and even if they are portrayed it's not necessarily a bad thing. People became way to sensitive these days and it affects overall quality. You can't even make good jokes, because if god forbid they insult someone it's unforgivable. That's how we killed good humor. And that's how we ruined a lot of dramas, because the stories suffered in order to be racially/ethnically correct without caring how the overall product will turn out.

Therefore, I think that thinking about "lack of diversity" in "The Nun" would be nonsense. 1950's Romania, my neighboring country, was, as it is today very white and that has nothing to do with lack of diversity. It has to do with geography and history, and our part of Europe will most likely always be predominantly white (with some exceptions of tourists and Roma people, who are biologically also classified as white). That would be the same if you would go in the middle of China and wonder white everyone are yellow.

Therefore, I hope it was just a joke about diversity.

It was a joke, believe me. This post is music to my ears!

33 minutes ago, dX airdry zid said:

I wonder what should be the minimum OW for this? 20-25?

The Conjuring series is quite consistent, expect $35M-40M:

1 The Conjuring WB (NL) $137,400,141 3,115 $41,855,326 2,903 7/19/13
2 The Conjuring 2 WB (NL) $102,470,008 3,356 $40,406,314 3,343 6/10/16
3 Annabelle: Creation WB (NL) $102,092,201 3,565 $35,006,404 3,502 8/11/17
4 Annabelle WB (NL) $84,273,813 3,215 $37,134,255 3,185 10/3/14