WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

So much for not needing Will Smith.   Sorry but that's a very average number for ID4:R.   Yes it's a name brand property but this didn't get the Nostaliga bump that Jurassic World and Force Awakens got because a lot of people for better or worst associate this property with Will Smith.   It's the movie that took him to global status.   So this sequel though bringing back a lot of the other chacters wasn't enough to sell it without Will.  So now instead of setting the standard, it's performing like your typcial Alien Invasion blockbuster.  Lucky for it we have a hoilday coming up next week.  It should do decent overall because overseas loves invasion films but nowhere near the original and a huge drop domestically.   Dory is just cleaing up, I don't think it would of beat ID4:R if Will had been in it but in it's 2nd frame still going strong.  

tumblr_nqz84cO8PR1re1lwco1_500.jpg

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

No wonder the Chinese audience is apparently kinda offended by this movie.

What the fuck Fox, what the fuck.

That description makes it sound worse than it is, IMO. Of all the stupid or lousy things about the movie, that's kinda at the bottom of the list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

It would be more noticeable except that most of the movie does that for non-Chinese stuff too. Emmerich -- bless his heart -- loves international cooperation and that's one of the themes of the movie, so it didn't seem a big deal to have a Chinese commander of the moon base. The Chinese pilot is basically there as a potential love interest for the nerd sidekick.

300 m Chinese box office, confirmed.

10 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Gotta say: Sony is having a really swell 2016. Two small scale successes in Risen and Miracles From Heaven, a 100M+ WW hit in The 5th Wave, The Angry Birds Movie doing fairly decent if unspectacular business for what it was expected (but pretty strong overall, 300M+ WW ain't no slouch), The Mermaid's absolute devastation of the China market, and now, The Shallows overperforming. Sure, they've had their flops (Brothers Grimsby, I Saw The Light, The Bronze), but the hits far outweigh the misses.

Now it's a question mark to see how well Ghostbusters does. And hopefully Sausage Party breaks out too.

Somewhere Mickey Mouse is laughing.

6 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

It would be more noticeable except that most of the movie does that for non-Chinese stuff too. Emmerich -- bless his heart -- loves international cooperation and that's one of the themes of the movie, so it didn't seem a big deal to have a Chinese commander of the moon base. The Chinese pilot is basically there as a potential love interest for the nerd sidekick.

who was the worse completely unnecessary lame character? lesser hemsworth's dork sidekick or the john oliver looking dweeb who wanted to be the sidekick of machete warlord (machete warlord was my favourite character btw. it's very stupid.)

10 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Gotta say: Sony is having a really swell 2016. Two small scale successes in Risen and Miracles From Heaven, a 100M+ WW hit in The 5th Wave, The Angry Birds Movie doing fairly decent if unspectacular business for what it was expected (but pretty strong overall, 300M+ WW ain't no slouch), The Mermaid's absolute devastation of the China market, and now, The Shallows overperforming. Sure, they've had their flops (Brothers Grimsby, I Saw The Light, The Bronze), but the hits far outweigh the misses.

Now it's a question mark to see how well Ghostbusters does. And hopefully Sausage Party breaks out too.

Whats Sony's involvement with The Mermaid?

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

who was the worse completely unnecessary lame character? lesser hemsworth's dork sidekick or the john oliver looking dweeb who wanted to be the sidekick of machete warlord (machete warlord was my favourite character btw. it's very stupid.)

Oh god, they're both so completely useless. They're Tweedledee and Tweedledum.

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

In their Russian CinemaCon event they apparently said Passengers headed their slate.  I have no expectations of Sausage Party (I'm pretty sure I'm not the intended audience.)  But Passengers is my most anticipated movie this year, and I am really hoping it does as well as Sony seems to think it will.  Coming a week after Rogue One is unfortunate, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Is this up for debate? :lol:

Just reminding everyone that Verhoeven will save cinema this November! 

Daring, ribald, and scathing on every level, “Elle” is a movie that sets a standard that 21st century cinema should aspire to. It kicks Hollywood in the teeth without lifting a finger. Glory.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/771443757/

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Distribution on the less than $20M the film made outside of China/Hong Kong. Sony didn't get much out of Angry Birds either since they only handled distribution. They are having a pretty bad year. 

Edited by kswiston

49 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I upped the number this morning to $23m+, it is a real number.  

Puerto Rico imax must have been counted late. :)

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

There are people who consider Fifth Wave a hit?

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Somewhere Mickey Mouse is laughing.

Well, no shit, Sherlock. I'm just saying: in their own little corner, they're having a surprisingly rock solid year so far. Much better than the shit stain of 2015.

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The Mermaid was distributed by Sony Pictures... well, in America only.... I think. It says Columbia was its distributor on Wikipedia's 2016 in film page, and Sony Pictures also has its trailers on YT. But I've also heard that they distributed it in America only. If that's true, I guess that's about 2M dollars of profit. Yay? It's probable that China Film Group gets most of the profit anyway, but, albeit with not much effect, Mermaid is (sorta) another card in Sony's 2016. It's kinda complicated :P.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

25 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Plus they have Magnificent Seven and Passengers, but who knows if the latter is coming out this year since Space Between Us just got moved to the same date.

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

In their Russian CinemaCon event they apparently said Passengers headed their slate.  I have no expectations of Sausage Party (I'm pretty sure I'm not the intended audience.)  But Passengers is my most anticipated movie this year, and I am really hoping it does as well as Sony seems to think it will.  Coming a week after Rogue One is unfortunate, though.

I only mentioned Ghostbusters and SP as their upcoming major Summer releases, but yeah, they've got Passengers coming as well. I'm really looking forward for that, too.

• Like 1