baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Trek 09 had a combination of early previews + good midnights(reported separately in the midnight era). it actually did 7m including midnights(that is how they are reported today).

Playing at 3,849 theaters, “Star Trek” ranked behind the first day gross of Paramount’s “Iron Man” which made $38.7 million last May. Included in that figure was $4 million of Thursday evening and midnight runs. Previewing on a bulk of its entire theater count at 7 p.m., “Star Trek” accumulated $7 million on Thursday.

http://variety.com/2009/film/box-office/star-trek-has-grand-opening-1118003417/

4 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

My point is this Summer's already had Dory and Pets and I'm sure there aren't many people who are seeing all three. Even if Ice Age was received better. I'm not saying this is the only factor (reviews and fatigue from the franchise also play a role) just that it's one of them.

And the year already had:

Kung Fu Panda 3

Zootopia

The Jungle Book

Angry Birds

Finding Dory

This is no fatigue for these movies right now. I take it as a coincidence that so many of these have talking animals, because these studios also have human characters.

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Rooting for Star Trek to do 60m+ and leg it to ~3x for 180m dom.

(Loved ST1. ST2 was bit too self aware and pretentious.)

As to Pets over IA5 vs IA5 over Pets, being equally detached to each of them I am rooting for IA5 over Pets.

Because one of them has made a huge profit. Hopefully IA can do ok too.

I have only liked IA1 but hoping that the blockbuster (ww) franchise has a face saving end at least.

Don't cry for IA.  That franchise has money hand over fist over the years.  No matter what it finishes with this time, the franchise has been milked and milked and milked again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What even is the plot to this new Ice Age, really? I've seen trailers/ads and still can't figure it out. Talk about not even trying.

The previews pretty much spell it out that an asteroid is on a COLLISION COURSE towards Earth and the cast of animals have to stop it somehow. Wacky hijinks ensue.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Don't cry for IA.  That franchise has money hand over fist over the years.  No matter what it finishes with this time, the franchise has been milked and milked and milked again.

Looks like the life span of animated franchises ends around movie 4 or 5.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

lol did the human characters get wiped off the face of the planet after the first movie?

Yep, now it's all about WACKY ANIMALS LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL LOOK AT THIS SHIT, WE'RE RELEVANT AND MAKES GOOD MOVIES!!

It's kind of sad that Blue Sky's next project after The Peanuts Movie ends up being this garbage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Why...what happend?

The release date was changed to Thursday at the last minute and then they added IMAX exclusive releases on Tuesday and didn't report numbers and everyone was confused as to when it was finally hitting screens. They did something similar to GI Joe 2 as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Why...what happend?

I think IMAX previews were on Wednesday, then it opened in general on Thursday, and this was all determined within a few weeks before release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

And apparently Scrat and an alien ship play a role with the asteroid. Series should have ended after the first one. 

I agree. And I feel that way for Shrek too, but that is not a popular opinion due to Shrek 2 which imo is over-rated.

• Like 1