baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

So here is the first Friday afternoon update. Star Trek is leading the day and is looking at an opening day of around 18 to 20 million. This would put it on pace for an opening of around 55 million. The Secret Life of pets is still holding strong and 2nd and is looking at a Friday at around 8 million and a weekend of around 27. Lights Out is shocking the industry and is heading for around 11 million for Friday and an opening weekend that could reach north of 25 million. Ice Age is trending to an opening day of around 8 million which would put it on Pace for about 22-24 million and Ghostbusters is going to see a fairly big fall with a Friday of around 6 million and the weekend will fall just short of 20 million.

These numbers are pure speculation and complete guesses just like deadline gives us at this time of day.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I wasn't around back then, but that honestly sounds awful.

It was wonderful. You had to be there. This forum would probably be even more of a mess with the "YAAAASSSS!" and the "NOOOOOES1" if we were still in that time period.

• Like 1

THR 12:40pm pacific:

Paramount's Star Trek Beyond is on course for a $57 million-$60 million U.S. debut

The animated Ice Age: Collision Course is expected to earn around $22 million-$24 million

Horror film Lights Out, from New Line Cinemas, is tracking to earn between $15 million and $20 million in its debut, ahead of expectations.

Edited by IMojammer
  • Like 3

From THR - a whole lot of nothing

Paramount's Star Trek Beyond is on course for a $57 million-$60 million U.S. debut, a solid start for the third installment in the rebooted franchise, although it won't best the previous two installments, according to early Friday returns.

Friday's haul will include $5.5 million in Thursday night previews. The sci-fi adventure cost a hefty $185 million to produce so will need to be big player around the globe.

The Justin Lin-helmed Star Trek sequel, which had its world premiere Wednesday night at Comic-Con, will have a tough time matching the debut of the last film in rebooted franchise, Star Trek Into Darkness ($70.2 million). The 2009 film Star Trek blasted with an even better $75.2 million.

Fox is bringing the fifth installment in its Ice Age franchise to theaters this weekend. The animated Ice Age: Collision Course is expected to earn around $22 million-$24 million, a series low. There's plenty of competition in that genre, between the strong performance of The Secret Life of Petsand the staying power of Finding Dory.

Horror film Lights Out, from New Line Cinemas, is tracking to earn between $15 million and $20 million in its debut, ahead of expectations. The microbudgeted horror film, produced by James Wan, is being released by Warner Bros. and stars Teresa Palmer as a young woman who tries to protect her brother from a malevolent spirit connected to their mother's past.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Baumer said:

So here is the first Friday afternoon update. Star Trek is leading the day and is looking at an opening day of around 18 to 20 million. This would put it on pace for an opening of around 55 million. The Secret Life of pets is still holding strong and 2nd and is looking at a Friday at around 8 million and a weekend of around 27. Lights Out is shocking the industry and is heading for around 11 million for Friday and an opening weekend that could reach north of 25 million. Ice Age is trending to an opening day of around 8 million which would put it on Pace for about 22-24 million and Ghostbusters is going to see a fairly big fall with a Friday of around 6 million and the weekend will fall just short of 20 million.

These numbers are pure speculation and complete guesses just like deadline gives us at this time of day.

I really don't get why we always get excited for this early update. Most of us can make that guess work and with better math than Deadline:lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I bet no one has real numbers yet. 

Nor should they. It's only 4pm, EST, on a Friday. Having "Friday" numbers when the heart of ticket buying is still to be done always strikes me as superfluous, even in an age of Fandango. Minimal purchases can not extrapolate a whole day. 

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I miss the good old days when we wouldn't find out Friday numbers until Saturday morning.

I don't miss the days of wating til mon or tues for a radio report

I wonder why we don't get real time numbers like china and japan

I did walk 3 miles in the snow. it was uphill both ways, down hill too. had shoes though

• Like 2

‘Star Trek Beyond’ Soars With $5.5M; ‘Ice Age: Collision Course’ Hits $850K; Horror Film ‘Lights Out’ Turns On $1.8M — Box Office Previews

http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-trek-beyond-ice-age-collision-course-lights-out-box-office-preview-1201790073/

UPDATED, 7:52 AM AND 12:15 PM WRITE-THRU: Star Trek Beyond nabbed a big $5.5M last night in previews for Paramount, besting the $2M that its comp Star Trek Into Darkness grabbed in May of 2013 when it opened on a Wednesday before it ended its weekend with a total of $70.1M. Beyond, a well-reviewed film and fan favorite with 87% on Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, opened at 6 PM in 3,100 locations. Of that, the film grossed $1.1M on 387 Imax screens which is a better than average share of a Thursday night preview.

Edited by abra

GB prediction,

5.64 (+50%)

7.90 (+40%)

6.00 (-24%)

I think +50% on Friday, +40% on Sat and -24% on Sunday all together is a bit generous. Tough to see GB touching 20 unless it surprises on Friday with a 55-60% bump.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

GB prediction,

5.64 (+50%)

7.90 (+40%)

6.00 (-24%)

I think +50% on Friday, +40% on Sat and -24% on Sunday all together is a bit generous. Tough to see GB touching 20 unless it surprises on Friday with a 55-60% bump.

50% on Friday is definitely too generous for Summer. Looks like a 18-19M range for GB.