baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Solid opening day for Star Trek: Beyond! Paramount needs it, and isn't bad considering that the first two films being released in the beginning of the summer and not in July which is a mixed bag month for sequels. Also quite solid for Lights Out! Horror films are rockin' it! It should outgross The Gallows within 3-days. Ice Age 5 has proven that the franchise has died down, and families are wanting to see other family movies such as Secret Life Of Pets, and Finding Dory. Overall July has done decent. Does anyone remember at this point last year when the "potential tentpoles" or "big releases"' from Ted 2 to Fantastic Four all underperformed? Well I think that's changing around and we are having some sucessful releases so far this part of summer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's what happens when you're part of a cult.  Reality is frowned upon. :ph34r:

I was one of the founding members of the cult here...

you-know-how-much-i-sacrificed-o.gif

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I SACRIFICED

• Like 6

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

My week by week SS breakdown:

Aug 5: 150M (54M weekdays, 204M Total)

Aug 12: 60M (24M weekdays, 288M Total)

Aug 19: 30M (12M weekdays, 330M Total)

Aug 26: 17M (7.5M weekdays, 354.5M Total)

Sep 2: 10M (6M weekdays, 371.5M Total)

Sep 9: 5M (2.7M weekdays, 379.2M Total)

Sep 16: 2.5M (1.4M weekdays, 383.1M Total)

Sep 23: 1.2M (700k weekdays, 385M Total)

Final Total: 390M (2.6x)

It should stay on top until Labor Day when Morgan dethrones it (or maybe it doesn't?)

I actually think Kubo will do it. A low 20s OW, a 30% 2nd weekend drop and a 5% 3-day Labor Day increase would be enough to put SS into 2nd or 3rd place. Good WOM could make it possible. 

Morgan will be lucky to make 5th place :ph34r: I think Kubo, SS, Lights, Pete, Bourne 5 and Florence will all finish ahead of it that weekend. 

1 minute ago, mahnamahna said:

I actually think Kubo will do it. A low 20s OW, a 30% 2nd weekend drop and a 5% 3-day Labor Day increase would be enough to put SS into 2nd or 3rd place. Good WOM could make it possible. 

Morgan will be lucky to make 5th place :ph34r: I think Kubo, SS, Lights, Pete, Bourne 5 and Florence will all finish ahead of it that weekend. 

I'm expecting about 15M for Morgan, I think it can be a decent sized hit with the way horror has been going this year.

• Community Manager
58 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I WAS BEING REAL FOR A MOMENT AND NOW I GET SHIT ON EVERY DAY FOR IT.

Now you know how Nolan feels when he saw your first reaction to Interstellar.

• Like 5

Last weekend GB Sat was less than 5% down from Fri (including previews) and that was also a surprise.

But this is very impressive for STB.

With 22 Sat it needs only 15.5 on Sunday which is a 29.5% drop, to touch 60 for the weekend.

22.5 + 22 + 16.5 (-25%) = 61

22.5 + 22 + 17 (-22.7%) = 61.5

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

anything over 60m would be a huge win for STB given the lackluster marketing from Paramount , seems like TMNT2 had better marketing. I guess anything over 400m WW keeps the franchise alive given that its Paramount

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 2

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

anything over 60m would be a huge win for STB given the lackluster marketing from Paramount , seems like TMNT2 had better marketing. I guess anything over 400m WW keeps the franchise alive given that its Paramount

TMNT2 marketing was awful. All of it. Beyond had an awful teaser but that was it. The marketing starting on the May trailer until release was great.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

TMNT2 marketing was awful. All of it. Beyond had an awful teaser but that was it. The marketing starting on the May trailer until release was great.

Marketing may have seemed bad, but TMNT went to Wondercon, Cinemacon, MTV Movie Awards, while Trek was no where to be seen...and a Super Bowl spot

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
:)

Saw Star Trek in a 1/3 filled 10 PM Imax showing. Loved the first two acts. Really didn't care for the third:

Spoiler

the finale was a bit too GotG. Also, lots of plot holes, but in time I think I'll be able to ignore. I found it entertaining still, and loved the action.

Saw Lights Out in a sold-out 7 PM. I was surprised how much I liked it. I gotta read some of the RT criticism, but I don't think I'll agree on the issue of...

Spoiler

mental health. I gotta confirm what the green tomato point of view regarding this issue. There was some inaccuracy, sure. An SSRI requires several weeks to take effect and it's not a sudden cure of either depression or psychosis, but I think the critics were considering sensitivity to such illnesses, which I think goes too far in interpreting a ghost story...