MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Mission Impossible did very well considering it was pushed up five months and it didn't debut it's first trailer until 4 months before its release. 

Jason Bourne didn't have its trailer until 3 months before release as well

Solid enough for Jason Bourne. It was clear from the reviews and Universal's relatively subdued marketing that it wasn't going to touch Ultimatum's debut from nine years ago. The fact that it hit $60 million after Damon's nine-year absence from the franchise speaks to how beloved the original trilogy was. Given that it skews older, it could dodge the utter lack of longevity that has plagued almost every big release this summer, but it's still not going to have the staying power of its predecessors.

Star Trek Beyond tumbled, but that had to be expected with Jason Bourne poaching some of the target audience. I see it landing somewhere around $150-155 million, which would put it in line with the adjusted grosses of the sixth and seventh films (Undiscovered Country and Generations).

Bad Moms had a very solid breakout. The multiplier doesn't look great at first glance, but Saturday did perk up a little bit from Friday's gross once preview figures are removed. Based on that "A" CinemaScore, it should be pretty leggy from here on out.

The Secret Life of Pets continues to put up a strong performance. It's still tracking ahead of Inside Out through the same point, so a total over $350 million should be assured, but I don't see it having enough gas in the tank to usurp Despicable Me 2 as Illumination's top domestic performer. Nevertheless, the fact that Pets will come relatively close to that mark speaks to just what a wild success it has been.

Lights Out held up relatively decently for a horror film. If its weekday performance remains strong, it could push toward a 3.0 multiplier.

Ice Age took a rough hit, but it should stabilize from here with strong weekdays factored in. Nevertheless, it's still putting up an incredibly poor performance relative to the other entries in its franchise.

I'm bummed that Ghostbusters didn't hold better, but the crowded marketplace isn't doing it any favors. It should wrap up somewhere in the $125-130 million range.

Nerve didn't fare too badly. With the high degree of competition in the marketplace, it could just as easily have landed dead on arrival.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Didn't you say it set the franchise record in IMAX last weekend? And since it earned lesser than the previous 2 installments, I assumed that means that the IMAX share is much higher than the previous movies.

ah yes it was actually  record for Imax INTL not WW(Thought I corrected that maybe not) . Having said that Imax DOM  WE share of BO was about same as STID  but even  Imax + PLF % is less than 2D..heck Imax + PLF + 3D is less than normal 2D share. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

With the STB drop, how many of you who called last weekend "good" or anything other than mediocre at best want to change their opinions? That's pretty lol compared to the first two bust ESP STID.

Yeah, but Bourne came out this weekend, and the viewerships overlap a lot.  Let's see what happens next week.  I know SS will dominate, but I'm still waiting to see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I really don't think they are going to do another Trek movie.

They will be sticking to Trek on TV with Star Trek Discovery on CBS streaming.

Paramount doesn't make any money from STD.  They own the movie rights, CBS owns the TV rights.  If Paramount wants to try and squeeze any more value out of the franchise they will have to do it with a motion picture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I really can't tell if Pets is going to pass Inside Out's total.

Huh? It just had a higher 4th weekend gross than IO's while also being 12m ahead of it through the same point. Seems like a lock to me. Pete would have to be unexpectedly massive and kill its late legs to miss. Pets is headed 375+ at its current pace. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Huh? It just had a higher 4th weekend gross than IO's while also being 12m ahead of it through the same point. Seems like a lock to me. Pete would have to be unexpectedly massive and kill its late legs to miss. Pets is headed 375+ at its current pace. 

I can see that. I guess I was just a but slow on the uptake.

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

WTF.  That's even quicker than BvS closed.  That's just 9 weeks and it made $184k last weekend and never had it's second run expansion. :blink:

7 hours ago, narniadis said:

Yeah - it will probably be one of those films that end of the year gets an update in gross (Universal is really bad about that) cause it's still playing but Fox (per BOM) doesn't see it as worth their time to track....

I was shocked because FOX is known for tracking films to oblivion.... Course, it could be a mistake on BOM ;)

7 hours ago, trifle said:

Fox didn't track Joy to the end, either.  I don't know how much difference it would have made, but at least a few countries were left out entirely.  Maybe' they've stopped tracking that far.

This is about XA , it is playing in dollar houses and yes Fox have stopped  weekly reporting (even though this weekend it would be in top 40). I've done posts in the past about  it all. In a nutshell  distributors WW stop  weekly tracking for various reasons and just report a  residual top up (sometimes they don't even do that), In Domestic Sony use to be notorious for stopping if a film would drop out of  top 30 or take less than couple hundred thousand, or manner of reason.

Let me enlighten you

Take last weekend BOM/Numbers reported about 100 titles but around 300  titles played (the movie on BOM list @ #50 Genius is actually ranked about #65), in UK 106 titles out of over 200, AUS 70 out of over 100

Joy-What countries left out all would have been reported on  not all appear on BOM/The-numbers and even then a lot of those numbers are sourced from trolling the net

Edited by Rth
  • Like 9

SLOP:

Remainder of this week: 10.2M (306.4M Total)

Aug 5: 9M (5M weekdays, 320.4M Total)

Aug 12: 4.5M (2.4M weekdays, 327.3M Total)

Aug 19: 2.7M (1.2M weekdays, 331.2M Total)

Aug 26: 1.8M (700k weekdays, 333.7M Total)

Sep 2: 1.3M (900k weekdays, 335.9M Total)

Final Total: 341M 

No way in hell this touches DM2. Suicide Squad is going to hit everything next weekend like any big opener does and I expect Pete's to give it another 50% drop. It can get paired with Kubo at drive ins though. Kids will be going back to school so the weekday drops will start getting harsher.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just saw that the new Kong has a 190M budget, 30M higher than Godzilla's. WB sure as hell better hope it has good WOM.

Dear movie studios:

Get that shit under control!

Signed,

Everyone

• Like 2