MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just saw that the new Kong has a 190M budget, 30M higher than Godzilla's. WB sure as hell better hope it has good WOM.

What the hell it was meant to have a 135M budget lol. These budgets for big movies are out of control.

I expect Pets to hold up well against Suicide Squad. There will be some audience overlap, to be sure (which astonishes me; PG-13 or not, it's a movie called Suicide Squad directed by a guy with a resume littered with remarkably dark and violent R-rated films, so the thought of any young children in the theatre makes me shudder), but I don't see most of the under-10 set that Pets has played to thus far being lost to Suicide Squad.

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just saw that the new Kong has a 190M budget, 30M higher than Godzilla's. WB sure as hell better hope it has good WOM.

WB still hasn't learned its lesson. This will clearly need overseas BO to make a profit. 

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I expect Pets to hold up well against Suicide Squad. There will be some audience overlap, to be sure (which astonishes me; PG-13 or not, it's a movie called Suicide Squad directed by a guy with a resume littered with remarkably dark and violent R-rated films, so the thought of any young children in the theatre makes me shudder), but I don't see most of the under-10 set that Pets has played to thus far being lost to Suicide Squad.

Nine Lives will be more direct competition than Suicide Squad will be but I doubt many are going to see that movie at all in the first place. WTF Kevin Spacey?

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nine Lives will be more direct competition than Suicide Squad will be but I doubt many are going to see that movie at all in the first place. WTF Kevin Spacey?

He killed a guy, and the producer is the only person with evidence

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I imagine Legendary is funding most if not all the budget, they went back to WB after Universal passed on it. 

I think the fact that X-Men, Star Trek, and Jason Bourne are all gonna finish within a few million of each other in the $150-160M kinda just goes to show what the current stance is on franchises that aren't on a higher level like the juggernauts. These are the numbers that will be par the course.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dear movie studios:

Get that shit under control!

Signed,

Everyone

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What the hell it was meant to have a 135M budget lol. These budgets for big movies are out of control.

Theses movies'  budgets are not out of control.

That is their normal, natural cost.

No one wants to spend more thant they need to on ANY movie, from your 500 000$ indie movie to your 250m blockbuster.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the fact that X-Men, Star Trek, and Jason Bourne are all gonna finish within a few million of each other in the $150-160M kinda just goes to show what the current stance is on franchises that aren't on a higher level like the juggernauts. These are the numbers that will be par the course.

Bourne can finish higher 170-190m range

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Bourne can finish higher 170-190m range

Eh, we'll see. If it manages better than average legs in this largely legless summer it'll be due to lack of competition (and the second half of August certainly does look very barren for the most part).

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There is a possibility that Bourne could reach over 170M. It is of interest to note that Bourne and Star Trek have topped 200M before. The climate can change, as 2013 and 2014 had a lot of 200M grossers and it seems like there won't be any this summer.  It could also grow even harder for these sorts of movies, as teens and young adults increasingly lose interest in theatrical movies, leaving these films with lower numbers. I think the main thing is that feast or famine climate. Since they are not the biggest hits, some of the "exciting big property" pull is not there anymore with so many tentpoles. The other thing is many younger moviegoers now only show for huge cultural events, as opposed to going to to the movies regularly and being interested in a range of movies.

It is, of interest, to note that these three movies do seem to have a slightly older fanbase.

But, another thing is these movies did not do much to distinguish themselves from predecessors. That might have made it more difficult to excite folks outside of the core fanbase. JB and XMA also got weaker reviews than past installments.

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

There is a possibility that Bourne could reach over 170M. It is of interest to note that Bourne and Star Trek have topped 200M before. The climate can change, as 2013 and 2014 had a lot of 200M grossers and it seems like there won't be any this summer.  It could also grow even harder for these sorts of movies, as teens and young adults increasingly lose interest in theatrical movies, leaving these films with lower numbers. I think the main thing is that feast or famine climate. Since they are not the biggest hits, some of the "exciting big property" pull is not there anymore with so many tentpoles. The other thing is many younger moviegoers now only show for huge cultural events, as opposed to going to to the movies regularly and being interested in a range of movies.

It is, of interest, to note that these three movies do seem to have a slightly older fanbase.

But, another thing is these movies did not do much to distinguish themselves from predecessors. That might have made it more difficult to excite folks outside of the core fanbase. JB and XMA also got weaker reviews than past installments.

That was the "problem" with these movies, really.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

$10.5 million ($317 million)

$5 million ($325 million)

$3 million ($328 million)

$2.25 million ($331 million)

$3 million/$3.75 million ($335 million)

$342-347 million DOM is my range since I see it having a lengthy second-run showing. All around, a solid run. How about you @MinaTakla? 

Am starting to think maybe it has a shot at 350...

• Like 1

Secret Life of Pets is now a lock to beat BvS and push it to #7 for and Rogue One pushes it to #8 on the year.  

Now only need Suicide Squad and 2 more to push it out of the Top 10.  It would have sounded ridiculous at the start of the year to say BvS would gross $330m and that might not be good enough to make the Top 10.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 7

Bad Moms is fantastic. Top 10 of the year so far, maybe top 5 (not quite sure yet). Go see it guys. If ever there was a Mean Girls sequel, this is it in spirit. Obviously it isn't the classic that mean girls is (and that movie is a classic). 

9/10

• Like 3

There are also only 5 films even capable of hitting $330m+ the rest of the year, and that is Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beasts, Moana, Rogue One and Sing.  I guess Passengers sort of has a shot, but want to see the trailer first.  

• Like 2