CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Cara Delevingne is amazing. You people hate everything these days.

But this doesn't surprise me anymore since I found out there's people who hate Jennifer Lawrence and Christopher Nolan...

You seem to hate nothing.

By the way I'm not one who calls out for sexism or misogyny in the movies but parts of Suicide Squad made me legit uncomfortable.

Spoiler

There are not one but TWO scenes of a woman being punched in the face, and in the second one it's followed by a one-liner ("She had a mouth."). Like, what?

I actually preferred it whenever Zack Snyder brought talented actresses on board just to give them nothing to do but stand by their (super)men.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Agree / think the same.

IMHO the Jason Bourne movies with Matt Damon are nice action movies, done in visual pleasing way, with a soundtrack I like a lot, but are to a degree also generic in relation to the books (lone wolf,...) and not only because of that they are IMHO horrible 'based-on-the-Ludlum-Borne-books' movies.

Bourne Legacy is far more nearer to the gist / feel.... of the 'real' Bourne books (for me only the books written by the creator of the characters are real Bourne books), even if having some flaws.

It's so seldom a story with action, thrill,... has a strong, mature, interesting, equal in all but the fights... female character included, also older people,... a hero who isn't too prideful to ask for advice or help.... especially at the time of the release of those books.

The female character is a scientist for ... business (forgot the correct term) and a high ranking Canadian government person = that helps him a lot in Switzerland and later on even more. (the input about the banking systems...)

Why had they have to take that away again, such a nice possibility to showcase a strong female character, who isn't a 'male' character, not a fighter, but very strong mentally and in other aspects?

In the books Bourne has a lot of development too, question himself, ... is shown also in private settings, they have kids and others to protect in book 3 and so on.

Different baddies in the books, again a kind of development, as the story enfolds, some parts of those rather unusal and as such interesting too.

Bourne after a while is able to get others to help him, is good at interacting with others to a degree, builds up a kind of team (the wife with high ranking connections, old boss, psychiatrist, brother-in-law, an older French gentleman,...)

Instead they cast in the first movie a way too young and immature appearing actress, whose character has no mental strength in a comparable way, no inside knowledge that might be helpful at times (I do not mean like knowing someone whose house you can use), no own addition to the 'team', than killed her off (in Ludlum's books she is not only surviving but e.g. in Hong Kong even in a way 'fighting' with tricks) at the start of movie 2 and showed no development worth mentioning of the lead character neither...

I watched Bourne 1-4 and am not sure if I'll watch Bourne 5, but if they'll film another Aaron Cross Bourne, I'm in, as I am there still hopeful for a bit betterment (term?), see a chance for improvement.

Hmmm freezing, cloning,.... not sure about that. Not really seriously meant.

She's an Economist.  I too prefer the characters and story line in the books.  Have you seen the 1980s mini series with Richard Chamberlain?

Very good movies but they're Bourne in name and amnesia only.

8 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

giphy.gif

I say the following without irony or snark.  I am glad that we have BvS if only so we can have the Sad Affleck for the rest of time.  That's how good it is. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Weren't Tom Hardy and Jake Gyllenhaal the ones originally approached for the Joel Kinnaman role in this? LOL I bet they're thinking "I dodged a bullet" right now.

Tom Hardy was signed on. Probably accepted the role right away due to excitement but then must have read the script and immediately made up some excuse to drop out 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

By the way I'm not one who calls out for sexism or misogyny in the movies but parts of Suicide Squad made me legit uncomfortable.

Reveal hidden contents

I actually preferred it whenever Zack Snyder brought talented actresses on board just to give them nothing to do but stand by their (super)men.

Huh, I don't remember the 2nd one.

The first one got quite a laugh. 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Tom Hardy was signed on. Probably accepted the role right away due to excitement but then must have read the script and immediately made up some excuse to drop out 

too bad he didnt drop out of TDKR

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

One of the biggest forum meltdowns ever came when Age of Ultron fell 33% on Sat, if people need perspective on how awful a 45% Sat drop is

It is really bad, but Suicide Squad is already playing with house money. If you said when it was first announced that it would open to $125-130m, people would call it a crazy statement. 

• Like 3