CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

1 minute ago, Nova said:

And? A big opening and then if it's dropping harder that shows that it's playing like a sequel. So a drop in the US would not be shocking. 

Not shocking, but I find it hard to believe it will drop to mid-30s

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As an aside, still not sure how the initial ratings before the movie goes live are counted in the overall score, or if they count at all.

Very interested into that too.

I 'feel' like they start high with pre-votes for 'being-interested', at least that is my impression if looking at count numbers in relation to time (hours) in release. But they might have a lot of non-US voters, the movies start in some countries 1-2 days earlier than in the US (as a general rule), so who knows?

Blockbuster movies have at IMDb often ~ 2/3 non-US and ~ 1/3 US voters after some time

Edited by terrestrial
typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I've been pretty eh on Ayer so I'm not so certain how good the movie would have been without interference but I'd certainly be interested to see his pure unfiltered vision and see what the hell that was like

Would it still have a lot of overplayed songs?

Obviously not lol.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I've been pretty eh on Ayer so I'm not so certain how good the movie would have been without interference but I'd certainly be interested to see his pure unfiltered vision and see what the hell that was like

Would it still have a lot of overplayed songs?

Well at least there would be more "dark" stuff happening, like the abusive relationship between Joker and Harley. WB didn't want that though. They need to learn to stick with what they were going for when these movies go into production. None of this panic and last second BS. Feeling better with a guy like Johns in charge of the universe from WW onward. Anyone understands this universe, it sure as hell would be him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm aware that his involvement was minimal to none (he apparently directed the one scene between Jai Courtney and another Justice League member). But he was the one whose ideas pretty much set the "foundation" for this DCEU that the studio is now trying to backtrack from.

But yeah, they screwed up big time with Snyder and Ayer (who was definitely a poor fit for a movie of this size). I wish you all the luck in the world, Patty Jenkins.

Actually Suicide Squad and Snyder's  DC films are really nothing alike in tone  and feel. 

Edited by John Marston

Even if we take the high end of "mid 30s", and use a number of 37m, that's a drop of 43.2% off of the combined Thr/Fri number.

If we take the "True Friday" number of 44.625, that's still a 17% Fri-Sat drop.

BvS's "True Friday" to Sat drop was 5.8% (53.8 to 50.66).  Yes, BvS had much higher preview numbers.  And, yes, it was Easter Weekend.  But this is summer, so a bit of it all works out.

Of course, the number might still go up.  And the Sunday drop might not be as harsh.  But if SS drops the same as BvS did on Sun (33.3%), that's 24.67, again assuming a high number of 37 today.

That's.... not an ideal sign for legs.  OTOH, it smashed the Aug OW record and no one can take away from that.  In fact, that's fantastic.  It really really is.  Shame about the legs, though.  Probably. ;)

Edited by Porthos
Plugged in the wrong number for True Fri to Sat drop for SS. Fixed. :)

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Actually Suicide Squad and Snyder's films are really nothing alike in tone  and feel. 

That is because WB panicked and wanted SS to be fun. The problem was that the footage was already filmed so we got... that first half. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

@Chewy remember when you said you couldn't believe that two $100M+ openers, from the same franchise to boot, were going to witness sub-2.0 multipliers this year?

7drHiqr.gif

Honestly a 1.8-1.9 multiplier won't surprise me but BvS suffered a massive drop on his 4th weekend while SS won't have that problem. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

DCEU movies have been very frontloaded but are still making a lot of money, I wouldn't call it DOA.

There will be a moment when the 100M+ OWs will stop. Wonder Woman should still pull one of those, tho. 

14 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Where is @James? I want to hear more about how $150m/TDK is LOCKED... :ph34r::rofl:.

It should have been locked. I mean the odds of them shitting out another BvS level turd of a film seemed really unlikely. Couldn't happen again right, especially sans Snyder? Yet here we are.

Based on the many Wonder Woman posts, I started to remember: wasn't Joss Whedon in the past considered/attatched as director for it? How the movie 'world' might look like, if he wouldn't have done Avengers, but WW instead?

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Honestly a 1.8-1.9 multiplier won't surprise me but BvS suffered a massive drop on his 4th weekend while SS won't have that problem. 

Unless people just start fleeing in the opposite direction and stay away.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It should have been locked. I mean the odds of them shitting out another BvS level turd of a film seemed really unlikely. Couldn't happen again right, especially sans Snyder? Yet here we are.

What if they continue to shit massive turds that pull huge 100M OWs but end with under 2.0 multipliers forever? Wonder Woman, Justice League, Batman, Flash and Aquaman might all do it.