CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

4 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

I'm right there with you. Saw TWS 5 times in the theater. I shocked myself. Never saw a movie more than twice.

I saw Civil War ten times in the theater, my previous record was Avengers, six times. I know people really love The Winter Soldier and I do too, but Civil War is my Marvel Studios Empire Strikes Back, it's just perfect.

My update Marvel Studios ranking:

1. Captain America: Civil War 5/5

2. The Avengers 5/5

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 5/5

4. Iron Man 4.5/5

5. Guardians of the Galaxy 4.5/5

6. Captain America: The First Avenger 4.5/5

7. The Avengers: Age of Ultron 4/5

8. Iron Man 3 3.5/5

9. Thor: The Dark World 3.5/5 (I know)

10. Ant-Man 3.5/5

11. Thor 3.5/5

12. Iron Man 2 3.5/5

13. The Incredible Hulk 3/5

• Like 2

Just now, somebody85 said:

It can but I dunno if it will be. She's very popular but I'm expecting an opening around Captain America just due to the setting.

No way. It's opening over 100M

• Like 1

DC is in serious trouble right now, enough with the magical thinking excuses and the "ifs" and "buts".   They've launched with 1 mediocre movie and followed that up with 2 terrible ones.   If Justice League sucks ass, they're gonna have to start reducing budgets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

So here's food for thought:

If GA don't know the difference between Marvel and DC* then is the poor reception of SS really a killer for the DCEU? I mean if you ask an average movie-goer, can they tell you all the different CBM cinematic universes?

If so then maybe the DCEU isn't doomed like we think it is. After all if Doctor Strange is good and successful, then that'll help alleviate concerns about WW with the GA. So in a way, Marvel could be helping DC out.

*Assuming you care to generalize the GA which is a huge group with multiple sub-groups. There's likely be a big part of the GA that knows the difference between Marvel and DC and there's likely a big part that does. There's a part that might associate Marvel with quality. They might not.

Deadpool's success didn't help X-Men and BvS's poor WOM didn't stop SS from having a big OW. It's swings and roundabouts. 

Had Paramount had the same marketing muscle that WB had for SS for Star Trek, it would opened bigger than $57m. 

• Community Manager
Just now, Jonwo said:

Deadpool's success didn't help X-Men and BvS's poor WOM didn't stop SS from having a big OW. It's swings and roundabouts. 

Had Paramount had the same marketing muscle that WB had for SS for Star Trek, it would opened bigger than $57m. 

Paramount did have the same marketing muscle WB had. It just utilized it poorly.

SS did follow Civil War. ;)

3 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Or the other view is that I didn't allow myself to get carried away by a bunch of crazy fans, and was reasonably in line with expectations (in terms of domestic total, anyway). ;) 

edit: if you check my predictions this week (in grim's game and the Summer Game), I had it at 19m previews, 64m OD, and 127.5m OW.

Hahahaha, I had no idea you jumped that high for OD in the end.:lol:  So obviously you can see the future and knew it was gonna have toxic WOM for the ages.  You are a box office foresight god. 

:worthy:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

If GA don't know the difference between Marvel and DC* then is the poor reception of SS really a killer for the DCEU? I mean if you ask an average movie-goer, can they tell you all the different CBM cinematic universes?

On the other hand, if SS does tank, then we get to look forward to another round of "CBM fatigue" articles. :kitschjob:

And while they probably don't affect things nearly as much as the trades/blogs would hope, they're still annoying to deal with. :sadben:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

When's the last time we hit 200 pages?

Yeah superhero movies have tropes and they run Hollywood but they at least stir our passions and shake up the box office.

Which all adds up to make these weekends the peak of our hobby.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Porthos said:

On the other hand, if SS does tank, then we get to look forward to another round of "CBM fatigue" articles. :kitschjob:

And while they probably don't affect things nearly as much as the trades/blogs would hope, they're still annoying to deal with. :sadben:

"People are sick and tired that every 3 months on average, 1 movie from a genre comes out! That's how it works! I mean people are never tired of action movies, comedy movies, and other genre movies because they tend to have at least once a month! But no, 6 comic-book movies is INSANE. Audiences will move on! LOGIC!"

• Like 8

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hahahaha, I had no idea you jumped that high for OD in the end.:lol:  So obviously you can see the future and knew it was gonna have toxic WOM for the ages.  You are a box office foresight god. 

:worthy:

I'm wrong so often that I have to crow on the rare occasions when I get it reasonably right. :lol: 

(No particular cleverness, I just figured it would have BVS-esque reception and gave it a slightly better hold to account for Good Friday).

• Like 3

130 million is a huge opening for a movie about the "worst heroes ever". Suicide Squad is definitely NOT a very well known IP. I barely knew what the hell was that, less than 1 year ago. I watched Assault on Arkham and then I got interested. I really loved the Suicide Squad movie, though I'm probably in the minority, lol. 

The fact that this movie will probably be beating X-Men Apocalypse's entire domestic run in less than a week, is already impressive. Hell, the movie isn't even getting a China release. That's a lot of stuff going against this movie.

Frontloaded or not, that's a lot of money. I've always thought we would be seeing a Marvel's Sinister Six movie, but DC did Suicide Squad first.

Hell, this movie will probably be beating the entire domestic run of the first Captain America, Ant-Man, The Incredible Hulk and Thor in a week.  This is just DC's third movie. There's clearly demand. 

Let's see the worldwide opening weekend grosses. There are lots of markets that haven't been updated yet. So, while it has dropped, we don't know how is it performing everywhere. So, we better wait before judging it. 

This is not a movie about Superman or Batman. So, people shouldn't expect it to beat the opening weekend of these movies. 

Yeah, it sucks being considered the Transformers of the comics, but money still matters. So, be it. I'm sure things will get better for WW and JL.  I really loved SS and I want to see more of the characters in a sequel or another movie. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

If so then maybe the DCEU isn't doomed like we think it is. After all if Doctor Strange is good and successful, then that'll help alleviate concerns about WW with the GA. So in a way, Marvel could be helping DC out.

*Assuming you care to generalize the GA which is a huge group with multiple sub-groups. There's likely be a big part of the GA that knows the difference between Marvel and DC and there's likely a big part that does. There's a part that might associate Marvel with quality. They might not.

I've been saying this here for a while to deaf ears:

The GA knows the difference between Marvel and DC. Marvel Studios has been around long enough to start getting the kind of acknowledgement that Pixar films have, maybe around the time Pixar became a synonym of quality. They do get confused with Fox Marvel movies, but at this point Marvel Studios is a brand like Pixar. And the occasional moviegoer already knows that. The "GA" that might not know this probably doesn't even go to movie theaters or watch films regularly, so do they really matter? If we accept that Pixar is a brand that people look forward to and expect quality, we should accept that Marvel Studios already got there too. They have been around eight years now, they have been around for a good while to earn that kind of respect. Saying otherwise would mean that for the GA all animation is the same. When it isn't.