grim22

Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters box office: What Went Wrong

26 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

One thing both of these movies have in common: A character riding a motorcycle in the marketing

Note to Hollywood, ban all appearances of motorcycles in upcoming trailers now!

Worked ok for Rouge Nation.  :P

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I highly doubt Beyond has been better received than STID by the GA. Maybe by Trekkies, but the GA definitely liked STID at least moderately well. 

Well, it's anecdotal, but I'm GA in that I didn't follow Trek until the 09 movie, and I liked Beyond better than STID by a fair margin.  O9 was still better, but the main criticism I had with Beyond was that

Spoiler

Spock's 'emotion' is no long an exception, it is the rule, and I think that is out of character.

I liked it considerably better than STID, which I still bought on Blu Ray.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Well, I'll try giving some reasons that haven't already been listed too much:

If your movie doesn't have talking animals and super heroes avoid opening next to those movies, and then present the following:

1. Boobs

2. Abs

3. Booty

4. Excessive Violence

5. Premise good for date movie

6. Divide budget by 10 

24 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Well, I'll try giving some reasons that haven't already been listed too much:

If your movie doesn't have talking animals and super heroes avoid opening next to those movies, and then present the following:

1. Boobs

2. Abs

3. Booty

4. Excessive Violence

5. Premise good for date movie

6. Divide budget by 10 

I think Star Trek holds the record for the highest OW for a non-animated, non-talking animals, non-Superhero movie this year.

• Like 1

WWW with GB was Sony hiring a political consultant to "help" with marketing.  I cant prove they did this but it just smells like it was done because why else would a generic blockbuster twitter account endorse a candidate for office?  There is also too many different places using the same language with the same general talking points on the same day.  And only a hack politico would think its a brilliant idea to have the cast and crew insult the audience justified or not. 

• Like 4

Ghostbusters is actually performing like a moderate summer comedy hit, the problem is that it had a tentpole budget. There really was no reason for that considering Melissa Mccarthy doesnt have that much overseas appeal and neither does the Ghostbusters brand. Pixels was made for only 88m, and that should have been the bar for this. 

Star Trek Beyond just had a tough release date, Bourne and then Suicide Squad back to back is brutal. Paramount should have given it some space from those films,  July 8 would have been good. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I think Star Trek holds the record for the highest OW for a non-animated, non-talking animals, non-Superhero movie this year.

The GA has spoken. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I like Star Trek a lot, but this movie had too many repeated notes from the past couple. I still very much enjoyed the first two acts, but the third just lost it for me. That said, it has a chance of catching X-Men Apocalypse, and in these times, though many feel this movie is an under-performer, it fought through a crowded summer to come close to a super-hero movie. In my opinion, that's still pretty impressive.

• Community Manager

I have to admit, Paramount's decision not to market Star Trek Beyond with the anniversary of the series makes little sense. I'm not entirely sure it would have sold more people on Beyond but it was right there! Instead they delivered a lackluster marketing campaign that excited no one especially after alienating a lot of the hard core with the first trailer.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

I think the success of Deadpool, Pets, and the OW of SS indicate that audiences want fresh and different. Maybe, Ghostbusters as reboot and Star Trek as sequel were not beneficial.

You listed two superhero movies and a talking animal movie. Even though Ghostbusters is a reboot, it's a reboot of an 80s franchise, and it certainly felt much more different this year than those movies.

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I have to admit, Paramount's decision not to market Star Trek Beyond with the anniversary of the series makes little sense. I'm not entirely sure it would have sold more people on Beyond but it was right there! Instead they delivered a lackluster marketing campaign that excited no one especially after alienating a lot of the hard core with the first trailer.

Listen all of y'all it's a sabotage

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I just don't understand whatever the fuck Paramount was trying to do. It's like the wanted the movie to crash and burn...

• Like 2

I hope what happens is that all these tentpoles failing will force the studios to make more original films with good scripts. Before the GA becomes a dumb hive-mind that won't see anything that doesn't have a brand name attached to it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Honestly Paramount shot themselves in the foot when they decided to release Beyond a week before Jason Bourne. Also the marketing was really lackluster.

I feel like they just left it out there to die