jb007

Thursday - SS 8.2 JB 2.24 BM 2.17

7 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

What do you mean? This happens all the time. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a situation when the higher-ups *didn't* cause downsizing. 

I mean by his own failings. The studio isn't at a healthy finance state and who are paying for it aren't the ones that are actually causing the trouble. In fact, who causes the trouble gets to stick around. And it's not like she's the first to throw criticism at Kevin T. and Snyder, it's no wonder that this letter is making the rounds, it's symbolic in a way. 

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Baumer - not trying to argue with you as we agree more often than we disagree - but your blatant disregard of history makes it seem like you have an agenda.... I still think SS will increase more than 60% Today but you are asking for Compton and Turtles increases on the WRONG weekend??? I don't see how thats hard to understand. We are the Millers is not compatible as it was a comedy and a wednesday release making it's weekend to weekend drop smaller and MI5 was NOT on it's 2nd weekend.

NEXT weekend (which would be the corresponding weekends for Compton and Turtles) will definitely see what you are talking about. I just don't see why this has to be the hill that you dig your heals on. Dates may be similar but the weekends themselves are different because of the calendar arrangement.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I mean by his own failings. The studio isn't at a healthy finance state and who are paying for it aren't the ones that are actually causing the trouble. In fact, who causes the trouble gets to stick around. 

But this is so completely standard it even transcends the entertainment industry. It's basically American corporate industry: when a company downsizes, whether it's WB or Sony or Digital Domain or ILM or Disney, it's because someone higher up made some poor decisions. And no, they won't get fired. If they leave, they'll be "promoted" to another division or to their own production deal or whatever. Is this right? I dunno, probably not, but it's not like this particular situation is remotely different from hundreds of other corporate decisions that happen across the country. 

I disagree that WB is in a bad financial state -- I think that's absurd. Yes, their DCEU is a giant mess right now, but even this giant mess is still making money for them. Not as much as it could, and of course the company wants to do better in that regard, but DC is nowhere close to the total of WB's financial entertainment investments. In fact, they're having a pretty good year so far. 

• Like 5

@narniadis......do u need me to post increases from the first week of August as well? 

Roguess Nation increases 80% on the first Friday in august as well. Go to mojo. Look it up. There's plenty of examples

5 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Like I've said to Tele on the main thread, I get your point, but this "disgruntled ex-employee" call out was a long time coming. Yes, films aren't made with crystal balls, but there is a REASON that something like John Carter happens. And do you remember the reaction from critics, fans of the character and all of us, actually? They screwed up. If Disney kept screwing it up, they'd get call out on it. I like Age of Ultron but that isn't one of the MCU's strongest entries by any means, and what happened with Whedon after that? He was out, and in the guys that made Captain America an A list character, to the fans and the critics delight, regardless yours or my personal feelings towards the film. Disney isn't called out because they aren't messing it up, and when they even LOOK like doing something like that, they course correct. Snyder has probably cost the jobs of people that WEREN'T the reason he failed to begin with. When that goes through all the studio's line up, it becomes a deeper problem. And I hope the higher ups start talking about this, because she does have a point. It goes way beyond the DC films. 

...Whedon was "out" regardless of the reception after Ultron came out. He was burned out basically working the first Avengers and then Ultron back to back. 

• Like 1

1 (1) Suicide Squad Warner Bros. $8,202,167 -16% 4,255 $1,928   $179,104,728 7
2 (2) Jason Bourne Universal $2,240,385 -7% 4,039 $555   $113,162,345 14
3 (3) Bad Moms STX Entertainment $2,173,461 -9% 3,215 $676   $60,011,293 14
4 (4) The Secret Life of Pets Universal $1,682,905 -12% 3,417 $493   $327,102,075 35
5 (5) Star Trek Beyond Paramount Pictures $1,167,534 -6% 3,263 $358   $132,879,949 21
- (6) Nine Lives EuropaCorp $789,384 -13% 2,264 $349   $10,050,825 7
- (8) Ice Age: Collision Course 20th Century Fox $679,059 -13% 2,738 $248   $56,673,271 21
- (9) Lights Out Warner Bros. $637,585 -14% 2,581 $247   $57,914,818 21
- (10) Ghostbusters Sony Pictures $594,993 -17% 2,545 $234   $119,409,002 28
- (11) Finding Dory Walt Disney $349,099 -15% 1,122 $311   $475,413,060 56
  • Like 1

Just now, Tele the Jet Baller said:

But this is so completely standard it even transcends the entertainment industry. It's basically American corporate industry: when a company downsizes, whether it's WB or Sony or Digital Domain or ILM or Disney, it's because someone higher up made some poor decisions. And no, they won't get fired. If they leave, they'll be "promoted" to another division or to their own production deal or whatever. Is this right? I dunno, probably not, but it's not like this particular situation is remotely different from hundreds of other corporate decisions that happen across the country. 

I disagree that WB is in a bad financial state -- I think that's absurd. Yes, their DCEU is a giant mess right now, but even this giant mess is still making money for them. Not as much as it could, and of course the company wants to do better in that regard, but DC is nowhere close to the total of WB's financial entertainment investments. In fact, they're having a pretty good year so far. 

My point is: Whedon did Age of Ultron, it didn't perform as well as expected both at the BO and creatively. It went so so. Boom, he isn't doing Avengers films anymore. Andrew Stanton made John Carter, whoever that I don't remember the name made Stranger Tides. Boom, they didn't made it another big blockbuster live action venture at Disney anymore. Edgar Wright wouldn't compromise with the MCU's vision and tone? Boom, he's out. My opinion is that Disney's practice lately is much more healthy when it comes to their finances and one that helps them to keep people around. I'd rather see Warner taking this kind of approach then the faux auteur stick that they've been advertising, which judged by the stories of the BvS and SS cuts aren't true at all. Give your directors time to come up with good material, plan further the long game but stick to a slate short term schedule with reasonable time to achieve better results. Fix what isn't working instead of just keeping the same dudes at helm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

My point is: Whedon did Age of Ultron, it didn't perform as well as expected both at the BO and creatively. It went so so. Boom, he isn't doing Avengers films anymore. Andrew Stanton made John Carter, whoever that I don't remember the name made Stranger Tides. Boom, they didn't made it another big blockbuster live action venture at Disney anymore. Edgar Wright wouldn't compromise with the MCU's vision and tone? Boom, he's out. 

You're comparing directors to execs. It's a completely different ballgame.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

My point is: Whedon did Age of Ultron, it didn't perform as well as expected both at the BO and creatively. It went so so. Boom, he isn't doing Avengers films anymore. Andrew Stanton made John Carter, whoever that I don't remember the name made Stranger Tides. Boom, they didn't made it another big blockbuster live action venture at Disney anymore. Edgar Wright wouldn't compromise with the MCU's vision and tone? Boom, he's out. My opinion is that Disney's practice lately is much more healthy when it comes to their finances and one that helps them to keep people around. I'd rather see Warner taking this kind of approach then the faux auteur stick that they've been advertising, which judged by the stories of the BvS and SS cuts aren't true at all. Give your directors time to come up with good material, plan further the long game but stick to a slate short term schedule with reasonable time to achieve better results. Fix what isn't working instead of just keeping the same dudes at helm. 

That's unfair to Stanton, he only made Dory after John Carter, and Pixar Animation takes forever to make, it's not like he could go around and make another live action film for Disney anyway, whatever the response to Carter was.

And Whedon made the two highest grossing films in the MCU, whatever expectations were, that is still a reason not to kick him to the curb. Whedon very publically admitted to be worn out by big blockbusters and has gone back to comics for the time being.

And Edgar Wright is an asshole who deserved getting his ass booted out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Every time I read "boom," I lol'ed. It's so dramatic. 

• Like 1