kayumanggi

Tuesday Numbers | 6.25 M SUICIDE SQUAD

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

From what I understand magic is fine in China as long as it isn't possession or ghosts. 

I've read something like that a while ago as well. Not sure if true, but yeah, the Enchantress used possession.

The technical reason a film like Ghostbusters would be banned in China and not the Harry Potter franchise is that Chinese censorship prohibits works of art encouraging superstition. It's based on old censorship rules from then-Marxist China, especially its atheism. Films containing "God", "gods"... films suggesting there is some sort of empiric reasoning behind the worship of deities... are denied on principality. Generally speaking "magic" could offend but "ghosts" and "gods" are viewed as worse. And of course it doesn't help with Katana and her Japanese flag. It should be noted that China has deep grievances against Japan such as their refusal to apologize for the Nanking massacre.

(Actually signed up just to respond... Might talk more about other things.)

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

The technical reason a film like Ghostbusters would be banned in China and not the Harry Potter franchise is that Chinese censorship prohibits works of art encouraging superstition. It's based on old censorship rules from then-Marxist China, especially its atheism. Films containing "God", "gods"... films suggesting there is some sort of empiric reasoning behind the worship of deities... are denied on principality. Generally speaking "magic" could offend but "ghosts" and "gods" are viewed as worse. And of course it doesn't help with Katana and her Japanese flag. It should be noted that China has deep grievances against Japan such as their refusal to apologize for the Nanking massacre.

Thank you for this elaborate explanation! I've been wondering the specifics for so long and felt dumb when I wasn't explaining things properly/felt like I was being offensive. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I've read something like that a while ago as well. Not sure if true, but yeah, the Enchantress used possession.

Again, Scarlet Witch used possession in Age of Ultron as well.

I just don't see how Suicide Squad can be banned because the Enchantress is a witch who used possession when you have a character like Scarlet Witch who can use possession as well in another movie that passed the censors.

Most likely: SS got banned for another reason, not Enchantress.:depp:

34 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

Welcome aboard, matey! And thanks for the answer; it cleared quite a few things up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Again, Scarlet Witch used possession in Age of Ultron as well.

I just don't see how Suicide Squad can be banned because the Enchantress is a witch who used possession when you have a character like Scarlet Witch who can use possession as well in another movie that passed the censors.

Scarlet Witch is a mortal being, Enchantress is an immortal evil spirit that's been worshipped as a God. That probably stepped on a few toes, not that it is the only offensive thing to Chinese authorities. Perhaps it's harder to explain why Thor was allowed since you could argue he's an Asgardian God, but the films actually are pretty clear with them being mortal, they live and they die, they use technology etc etc.

For an example of a movie which would Never Ever be allowed in China see "Constantine."

And thanks for the positive response to last post, I actually thought I was being a bit vague.

Edited by Kathemy
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Kathemy said:

Well thank you. That explains a lot. It's good to know  the distinctions they make when denying a movie there.

41 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

Scarlet Witch is a mortal being, Enchantress is an immortal evil spirit that's been worshipped as a God. That probably stepped on a few toes, not that it is the only offensive thing to Chinese authorities. Perhaps it's harder to explain why Thor was allowed since you could argue he's an Asgardian God, but the films actually are pretty clear with them being mortal, they live and they die, they use technology etc etc.

For an example of a movie which would Never Ever be allowed in China see "Constantine."

And thanks for the positive response to last post, I actually thought I was being a bit vague.

y2B3ts7.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

Am I still the only person here who's seen Nine Lives? I've thought about that movie at least 10x more than I've thought about Suicide Squad. Y'all should go

ninelives0001.jpg

Saw it today at 5:20 for $5.  We get $5 Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  It was nearly sold out in about a 50-60 seat theater.

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

Am I still the only person here who's seen Nine Lives? I've thought about that movie at least 10x more than I've thought about Suicide Squad. Y'all should go

ninelives0001.jpg

Saw it today at 5:20 for $5.  We get $5 Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  It was nearly sold out in about a 50-60 seat theater.

Guesses for today.

Suicide Squad (-28.5%) - 4.46

Sausage Party (-23.7%) - 3.76

Pete's Dragon (-27.4%) - 2.60

Bad Moms (-18.5%) - 1.58

Jason Bourne (-21.5%) - 1.48

Secret Life of Pets (-19.4%) - 1.32

Foster Florence Jenkins (-21.3%) - 0.88

Star Trek (-19.4%) - 0.82

Nine Lives (-32.9%) - 0.51

Nerve (-15.6%) - 0.45

Lights Out (-12.3%) - 0.41

Ghostbusters (-16.2%) - 0.33

Ice Age (-25.4%) - 0.31

Finding Dory (-12.4%) - 0.22

Anthropoid (-13.0%) - 0.15

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kathemy said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm still wondering whether you think Doctor Strange will be released in China since it's also about "magic".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm still wondering whether you think Doctor Strange will be released in China since it's also about "magic".

I'm almost certain it will. No production company has better ties with China than Disney, and their decision to censor Dr. Strange's Tibetan upbringing is a political statement which has won them huge favor with the Chinese government. They probably know exactly what they can get away with, and what not, to secure a release. In other words, "travelling the astral planes" and "bending reality", sure. Summoning and convening with angels and demons, not so much.

• Like 2

I am still not sure what the difference is between magic and a super power in China. Couldn't they just change the dialog to calling it a super power in China in the over-dubbing process.

I mean, I could easily make a cut of SS, where I removed every part about gods and just rebranded Enchantress's powers to be super powers instead of magic. It wouldn't change the film very much.

Edited by Maitch
  • Like 1