kayumanggi

LOVE, SIMON | 03.16.18 | Fox | trailer on page 1

53 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

If you go on twitter and tumblr where the LGBTQIA kids hang out, you can clearly see the passion and love of the flm. It is reaching its target audience, and a good majority of the posts are encouraging folks to go see it. 

I meant non-LGBT audience. I know this film would be popular with LGBT crowd. I am encouraging all my non LGBT friends to see it/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I meant non-LGBT audience. I know this film would be popular with LGBT crowd. I am encouraging all my non LGBT friends to see it/

Roommate took his sister to see it today.....they didn't know what to see and I recommend this movie. Both enjoyed it. 

28 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

I can see this dropping under 33% this weekend - Midnight Sun won't make a dent at all (its facebook tracking is at a similar level to Every Day, so expect floppage) so the teen market should still be out for this.

If Simon could somehow break out from its core audience, the film would actually increase this weekend. The core audience is eating it up like no other film since probably Titanic. There weren't this many tears shed over The Notebook or Brokeback Mountain and those two films certainly brought the waterworks. People are seeing this multiple times just like they did with Titanic and similar emotional ties are being formed with LS. If straight women in their 20s and 30s could turn the film into a date night with their boyfriends and husbands, the film would take off. All the ingredients are there if people would be willing to give the film a chance.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

So what are we thinking the second weekend will be? Also what in your guys eyes is a good drop/number?

I am thinking 

sub- 30% great

30%-35%- solid

35%-40%- meh

40%-50%- not good

50%+- RIP

Anything sub 35% is great with 25% or lower being out of this world. The rest is spot on

I just finished reading a couple of opinion pieces about LS. The first was from notorious contrarian Armond White. He's now writing for that backwards right wing site National Review and his thoughts are about as horrendous as you could imagine. White is solely cashing a paycheck or else he is oblivious to the fact that readers of NR would prefer to see a gay, black man such as himself burned at the stake before listening to him. So he attacks the film and the Hollywood progressives behind it in order to make the readership of that site pay attention to him. He even attacks Moonlight a couple of times in his article. I won't be linking to that trash site but you can look it up if you wish.

The second piece was found on a site called Highsnobiety by David Opie. He ends his piece by referring to LS with these words: "the most important movie that you'll watch this year." His article is about the significance of the film which you can read it here: https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/love-simon-movie-important/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hiccup23 said:

So what are we thinking the second weekend will be? Also what in your guys eyes is a good drop/number?

I am thinking 

sub- 30% great

30%-35%- solid

35%-40%- meh

40%-50%- not good

50%+- RIP

The Duff adjusted seems to be ok comparison 36.5% drop

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&adjust_mo=&adjust_yr=2018&id=duff.htm

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

I just finished reading a couple of opinion pieces about LS. The first was from notorious contrarian Armond White. He's now writing for that backwards right wing site National Review and his thoughts are about as horrendous as you could imagine. White is solely cashing a paycheck or else he is oblivious to the fact that readers of NR would prefer to see a gay, black man such as himself burned at the stake before listening to him. So he attacks the film and the Hollywood progressives behind it in order to make the readership of that site pay attention to him. He even attacks Moonlight a couple of times in his article. I won't be linking to that trash site but you can look it up if you wish.

The second piece was found on a site called Highsnobiety by David Opie. He ends his piece by referring to LS with these words: "the most important movie that you'll watch this year." His article is about the significance of the film which you can read it here: https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/love-simon-movie-important/

Hes a troll. You can't take his reviews seriously.

Here is a terrific article written by Anna Silman for New York Magazine’s The Cut website. In it, she talks to 10 LGB teens in the US and Canada about their lives and how Love, Simon has impacted them. Needless to say, every single one of them raved about the film and its positive effects on their lives. Some have even seen the movie multiple times. The film’s tremendous significance to the lives of so many of its viewers cannot be recognized often enough. Few films are able to achieve that sort of cultural breakthrough. LS is doing so effortlessly.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/03/10-teens-on-love-simon-and-what-its-like-coming-out-in-2018.html

• Like 2

Kristen Bell is also buying out a theater in her hometown of Minneapolis. Greg Berlanti and his husband Robbie Rogers are buying out a theater in Kentucky and another one in Mississippi. Somebody else I had never heard of is buying out a showing in Boston. Good for them for helping out the people in their hometowns.

Granted, these buyouts won't have much impact on the box office; but they do prove how much people love this movie and how much they want others to see it. I wouldn't be surprised if more celebrities hop on this theater buyout bandwagon given how beloved the film is. Plus, for Hollywood stars, spending a few thousand bucks on a theater buyout is a pretty cheap way to express their gratitude and assist their communities. I wouldn't be surprised if Ellen, Jim Parsons, Neil Patrick Harris, anyone who has ever worked with Berlanti or any LGBTQ+ ally in Hollywood also buyout showings in the days to come. This film certainly has earned the adoration it is receiving.

ETA: NPH has bought out a showing in Albuquerque. I expect more celebs will follow suit.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 3