WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

Also, there was some guy who must've been on crack throughout the movie or some shit.  In the beginning, you have him laughing at odd moments, saying things like "yeah, shoot his ass!"  He falls asleep for a bit, and wakes up to yelling at the screen some more and laughing his fucking ass off.  Then after the climatic battle he just leaves the movie :rofl: 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

They're yet to truly prove their power. Even Passengers is based on a combo of their drawing power.

We do know that Pratt added nothing to the typical Denzel opening this weekend, contrary to what many were expecting (some prognosticators were saying $60m+ lololol). 

You may think he added nothing, but that's your opinion, not fact. It's based on the faulty assumption that Denzel brings exactly the same numbers to a Western that he would to an action movie. 

This movie being presented as proof that Denzel is a draw but Pratt isn't, just seems absurd to me. 

If anything, the fact that it's gonna have one of the highest Western OW ever is proof to me that star power still matters a lot.

Compare this to what Ben-Hur did. Main difference is this movie had stars. I'll bet anything that a star-less remake of Mag7 does Ben-Hur numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

You may think he added nothing, but that's your opinion, not fact. It's based on the faulty assumption that Denzel brings exactly the same numbers to a Western that he would to an action movie. 

This movie being presented as proof that Denzel is a draw but Pratt isn't, just seems absurd to me. 

If anything, the fact that it's gonna have one of the highest Western OW ever is proof to me that star power still matters a lot.

Compare this to what Ben-Hur did. Main difference is this movie had stars. I'll bet anything that a star-less remake of Mag7 does Ben-Hur numbers.

Actually this movie is opening less than some movies with just Denzel alone so Pratt clearly added nothing.

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Actually this movie is opening less than some movies with just Denzel alone so Pratt clearly added nothing.

Were those other Denzel movies remakes of an old Western opening in September to mixed reviews?

You guys act like every Denzel movie, regardless of any other factor, is guaranteed to pull the exact same numbers based on his name alone. Maybe Westerns are a harder sell for his audience?

This movie was definitely sold primarily on Denzel, and it doesn't prove Pratt is a draw... But IMHO it doesn't prove he isn't one either. Passengers will be a better test of that.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, That One Chris Pratt said:

Also, there was some guy who must've been on crack throughout the movie or some shit.  In the beginning, you have him laughing at odd moments, saying things like "yeah, shoot his ass!"  He falls asleep for a bit, and wakes up to yelling at the screen some more and laughing his fucking ass off.  Then after the climatic battle he just leaves the movie :rofl: 

I swear the exact same guy was at my showing.

25 minutes ago, That One Chris Pratt said:

Mag 7 was good @Ethan Hunt.

No

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Does this mean Wahlberg took out 7-10M from 2 Guns OW? Because that opened with 27M.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I have to agree with this 100%.

• Like 5

Mag 7:

1) 90 million budget + money spent for marketing/advertising/promotion.  Let's imagine Sony spent 40 million ( could have been more, we don't know ). 130 million.

2) pg-13 rating, meaning it could get more people to watch it.

3) Huge cast that includes Denzel, Pratt, Hawke and so on.

The Equalizer:

1) 50 million budget

2) Hard R rated movie

3) Audience restricted.

The fact that Mag 7 had a smaller opening day than The Equalizer, is disappointing. It's disappointing, considering that The Equalizer was basically a Denzel's solo action movie. Sure, that doesn't mean the movie is a flop, it's just disappointing. 

Pratt is a lucky guy that managed to be part of major franchises. Guardians of The Galaxy had the Marvel formula that worked in previous movies, Jurassic World is part of a huge franchise ( people would watch it, no matter what ), Wanted was a huge sucess ( though Pratt barely appears. The scene where he gets beaten by the keyboard, though...lol ), Mag 7 is a Denzel movie and so on. Most of the movies could have had another actor, and they would have performed the same way. 

He was good in all these movies, but he's getting credit for their performances, which I think it shouldn't be the case. The fact that Mag 7 might perform a little worse than the Equalizer, shows that Pratt means nothing in that regard. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Does this mean Wahlberg took out 7-10M from 2 Guns OW? Because that opened with 27M.

Any movie Walberg is in is a negative for me, so seems reasonable.  Maybe some of Denzel's core audience couldn't bring themselves to pay a ticket to watch Marky Mark's hate crime committing ass.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

If it weren't for some people superdriving the BO hype train here, the Mag 7 numbers would be better received. Modern U.S. audiences have a built-in stigma against Westerns that is hard to overcome.

To be fair some of that was driven by earlier tracking reported by Deadline and Box Office.com who had it hitting $50m

2 hours ago, That One Chris Pratt said:

Did anyone complain :lol: I remember when me and a group of friends went to see sisters there was another group behind us who were all likely drunk and making comments, laughing, even one of the women started crying a few times. Because I'm an employee it really is my job to tell a manager, but it was only us 2 groups in the theatre and frankly we were enjoying these people more than the movie.

• Like 1

Maybe it was low expectations, but Storks was actually really good. Having seen the movie, I'd say the trailers really did the film a disservice. The wolf pack, for example, is actually hilarious.

I mean, I wouldn't say it was exactly great as a movie, and the ending is perhaps a little muddled. But it was fun, and Tulip and Junior's banter was some of the most entertaining dialogue I've heard since GotG.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

Just now, Wrath said:

Maybe it was low expectations, but Storks was actually really good.

I mean, I wouldn't say it was exactly great as a movie, and the ending message is perhaps a little muddled. But it was fun, and Tulip and Junior's banter was some of the most entertaining dialogue I've heard since GotG.

This is a big year for animated features. Where do you think it ranks?