chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

Nice article on the wonderful voice of Thumper (who was only 4 and shamefully uncredited), how they recorded it and how he never met the actor who voiced Bambi (who later went on to be a career Marine) until they met up for the 70th anniversary edition

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/home/51349757-76/bambi-thumper-voice-disney.html.csp

Do you remember much of the experience?

I have an overall impression of the studio and the little zoo they had. I remember a little about being in the recording studio with the director, just basically playing games. The whole thing was a game to me.

What was the most memorable memory of that experience?

As a little kid, you don't realize you're being involved in a historic creation. It was just what was happening at the time.

How were you directed?

The director had to butter me up and be my buddy and be fun with me so I was enjoying the experience. We made a game of it. He would say things, and then he would say, "Now you say it."

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9uhkdg93g1r18ivno1_500.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/17/2016 at 11:44 AM, chasmmi said:

34th - 101 Dalmations

200pts - 18 votes, 1 top 5, 3 top 10 (2014: 42nd Up 8)

I think this may be my favourite talking dog Disney animation... 

101 Dalmations was another of the films that I saw over and over again as a youngling. It had everything a kid wants: a nice little song, bumbling sidekicks, cool crazy villains and just an overall fun sense of adventure. 

I'm personally happy to see this film rank so high and to even increase 8 places. I kind of assumed it would be one of the older Disneys to be slightly forgotten and finish closer to 100th than 30th. I am happy to be wrong. 

Gah, why does this one continue to be so overrated? I swear all people ever remember about it is that Dalmatian puppies are adorable and Cruella is an awesomely over the top villain caricature. Take those two things away and it literally has nothing at all going for it in my book though. It is an absolute chore to sit through as an adult, and I don't think kids today are fans of it either. Beating Lady and the Tramp is frustrating for me, can't understand that. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Gah, why does this one continue to be so overrated? I swear all people ever remember about it is that Dalmatian puppies are adorable and Cruella is an awesomely over the top villain caricature. Take those two things away and it literally has nothing at all going for it in my book though. It is an absolute chore to sit through as an adult, and I don't think kids today are fans of it either. Beating Lady and the Tramp is frustrating for me, can't understand that. 

I have to say I agree that it doesn't hold up well for me as a young adult. I loved it as a child, but when I tried to watch it again recently, I just couldn't sit through it. Too boring. :/

Edited by Fadi Antwan
  • Like 1

On 26/11/2016 at 7:17 AM, chasmmi said:

32nd - Grave of the Fireflies

203pts - 12 votes, 2 top 5, 3 top 10, (2014: 61st Up 29)

Possibly the greatest animation ever made, but at the same time, don't watch it! It's horrible to watch. 

So I eventually got around to watching this film about 2 or 3 years ago and... well I started getting, let's say emotional, about 3 minutes into the film and this state continued about 90 minutes after the film had ended.

The story is so strong and the voice acting spot on to make you really feel for these two kids trying to survive WW2 Japan. You find yourself angry, sad and on rare moments elated by the experiences that kids both go through and at times bring upon themselves.   

The love for this film among people that have seen it seems clear. It was very early on in proceedings actually number 1 in the list and hung around in the top 5 and 10 for quite a while. In  the end, it dropped outside the top 30 I would assume due to voters unable to find/watch the film. It has risen almost 30 places since the previous list (my 3rd place spot gave it a boost in itself.)

Absolutely agree. I had not seen the film until last Summer. It is a great film, a masterpiece, maybe it can compete, as you well say, for being the best animated film ever. But it tells a so sad story that makes me turn back and not to rank it at the top places. Maybe that is not fair but I can not place on top a film that makes me feel so bad even knowing that, cinematographically, it is a better film than others which I place higher. I had never had a feeling like this with any film.

It is a horrible film to see, the most unpleasant I have seen, but so good that it deserves every flattery it can receive. When people ask themselves about how is to live in war, to see this film is probably the best way to know it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Fadi Antwan said:

I have to say I agree that it doesn't hold up well for me as a young adult. I loved it as a child, but when I tried to watch it again recently, I just couldn't sit through it. Too boring. :/

It's a stifling trudge to sit through nowadays, imo. I ended up putting it #100 on my list purely for Cruella, but it's a film I would really like to see become one of Disney's more forgotten ones in favor of far more deserving overlooked ones rising in prominence. 

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Getting back to Bakshi...

Did you know that the X-Rated Fritz the Cat was the 9th biggest movie of 1972?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_in_film#Highest-grossing_films_.28U.S..29

That's like if Sausage Party made $300m this year.

Yes, it Wizards, and LOTR (which was deemed a disappointment but still technically made a profit), were Bakshi's only actual successful films.

From what I read Fritz The Cat's success was because a lot of teenagers in the 70's were obviously going to see it. 

4 hours ago, Kalo said:

You bought your first dvd player in 2000? wait I thought you were like 25!

33 :) 

I was 16 and managed to save the 160 pounds required to buy the entry level Sharp DVD player. (160 quid was crazy cheep for a DVD player at that time) 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 0:55 AM, chasmmi said:

106th - Whisper of the Heart

69pts - 5 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 174th: Up 68)

Right so this one is Ghibli, I know that at least.

I am going to fly through most of the next few as I want to break into the top 100 before sleep and I have not watched any of them so have little I can really comment on. 

This film received two top 10 votes from its 5 which suggests it deserves some consideration and love, but I also feel there are another 11 Ghibli films I can say similar for too. That be the problem. 

The early films so far seem to be indicating that franchises are dropping places and Foreign/artsy stuff is what be benefitting. 

If only I had got to this thread in time....

This should have been in the top 100 atleast. Its got few of the most beautiful scenes in the world of animation and is probably the best of the lesser known Ghibli films.

• Like 1

28th - Fantasia

220pts - 17 votes, 2 FIRSTS, 1 top 10 (2014: 31st: Up 3)

Could you imagine somebody at Disney trying to pitch this today?

Fantasia is magical, the blend of classical music and animation should not work as well as this does. The Sorcerer's Apprentice especially still spellbinds young kids today (as I can personally attest with showing to my students). 

The film also clearly still has love today, with two voters placing it first and 17 votes in total to keep it pretty much at the same spot as 2014. 

• Like 9

27th - Lilo and Stitch

220pts - 19 votes, (2014: 44th: Up 17)

Lilo is even more awesome than Stitch, I said it. 

This is another of the Disney animations that I saw about 10-15 years after release after assuming it would be bad. And again I was really really wrong about that. The film is so utterly fun and charming and both lead characters are all time Disney greats. Lilo is so adorable in this and the relationship with Stitch works so well with great interactions with the other characters.

Not only is the alien stuff fun, but the sister relationship is remarkably in depth and strong and I can only really say high things about this film.

It has also surged 17 spots in the list, which I personally endorse and am happy with. 

• Like 11

26th - The Little Mermaid

229pts - 17 votes, 1 top 5, 4 top 10 (2014: 23rd: Down 3)

The first of super big-hitters of the Renaissance is here... (it was always going to be the first to turn up too wasn't it) 

This was the film that is credited for bringing Disney out of its 80's doldrums and it is clear to see why. Although when I see it now the animation looks a little shakier and cheaper than the films that came after (it's still great, just lacking a certain flourish in my opinion), it is still a great story, with fantastic songs and an imoortal element that means people will be watching this for decades to come. 

It has dropped a couple of places since 2014, but still holding strong. I am personally surprised to see it only score 17 votes. That means about 10 voters, considered it not even worth having on the list and that to me is a surprise. 

• Like 12

25th - The Iron Giant

235pts - 17 votes, 2 top 5, 2 top 10 (2014: 29th: Up 4)

Is this still Vin Diesel's best performance?

This is another of those films that I like, in fact think it is pretty darn good indeed, but I never quite got the all time classic from. I consider it Brad Bird's 3rd best film (although I think that is kind of by default as I never saw MI3 and Tomorrowland was horrible.). 

I should also say that this film had an uphill battle with me as I never liked the book: The Iron Man as a kid and so was not interested in seeing a film based off such a book. But yeah, the film is definitely deserving a place on the list, it is just that my personal ranking is closer to about 80th than 20th.

25th places sees a 4 place increase since 2014 which is strong and for a film that is 17 years old, that staying power is likely to not falter any time soon. 

• Like 13

24th - Tangled

241pts - 20 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 16th: Down 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je4nDvNJXsg

The film that brought back to the welcoming and sweet, nutritious teet of Mickey Mouse and his friends.  

The first film to receive 20 votes, in fact there are only 3 films left on the list to not receive 20 votes. there was a consistent popularity with this film that I completely understand. This was the first Disney animation I saw for about 10 years and it was completely by accident. I was using a DVD room to get some sleep mid afternoon and needed something to put on in the background and sleep through so I chose this film. Needless to say, I did not sleep at all as the film drew me in with how great it was.

Without this film, I may not have bothered with Wreck it Ralph, or seeing any of the post Pocahontas stuff that I hadn't seen (everything not called Tarzan or Hercules), I would have missed out on a lot of great animations. It's a great film that brought Disney back where it belonged.

Dropping 8 places is kind of steep but I would say that as much as I like this film, 24th makes a little more sense than 16th in my opinion. A strong position nonetheless . 

• Like 10

23rd - Shrek

242pts - 20 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 20th: Down 3)

A film that made Dreamworks a force that people actually noticed in the world of animation. 

Toy story was the film that brought me back to animation (which i saw in about 1998 I think), but it was Toy Story 2 and Shrek that really got me back into watching animation as an event. This film made me laugh a lot but also made me care about the lead characters. Every character works and you enjoy being a part of their journey.

Of course looking back now, you can see how a lot of it was a big fuck you to Disney, what with Lord Fuckwad and all. But I still enjoy watching this film whenever it is on and it is one of Dreamworks' best to this day.

Sad to see it drop out of the top 20, but 23rd is still a good finish.  

• Like 10

I regret I have but one like to give Fantasia.  I won't say it would be impossible for that film to be made today, but got drat, it would have an uphill climb.  Probably wind up on cable or something like that.  Or some arthouse exhitbit somewhere.  Regardless, I'm glad it did get made and is still entertaining folks all these years later.

• Like 1