grim22

Borg/McEnroe | 2018 | Shia LaBeouf as John McEnroe

Considered one of the greatest tennis players of his time, McEnroe was known for his tantrums and outbursts during his career and faced off 14 times with Borg, who had a cool and emotionless personality. Back in May, LaBeouf toldVariety how excited he was for this project and that he deeply identified with his character.

“[McEnroe and I have] everything in common. Passionate. Perfectionist. Narcissistic. I’m a bit of a caricature also,” Shia stated. “You look for parallels in your life, and I’m lucky because there is a lot here…I’m eager to meet him before we shoot. I got nothing but love and respect for him.” Adding, “The script is brilliant. We are all here because of that. I cried the first time I read it. It’s not based on a book or a biography. It’s based on hard work.”

On Tuesday, October 4, the actors, along with Stellan Skarsgård and Tuva Novotny, director Janus Metz Pedersen and writer Ronnie Sandahl attended a press conference in Gothenburg, Sweden to discuss the upcoming feature. 

• Like 2

I hope this gets a North American release. I used to like tennis a lot back in the John Mcenroe days and it was a great match and I like Shia LaBeouf so I would definitely be one to see it.

• Like 1

I'm hoping this is RUSH-level good...it looks like it could be...but that's a hard one to beat.

I continue to think Shia is a really special actor.  Him being off-screen for a time really makes me understand how great it is to have him back.  I hope he continues to act, however infrequently. 

Edited by Macleod

12 hours ago, Macleod said:

I continue to think Shia is a really special actor.  Him being off-screen for a time really makes me understand how great it is to have him back.  I hope he continues to act, however infrequently. 

Have you seen American Honey? 

8 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm assuming this is going to be the movie about their Wimbledon match that Borg won.

yeah I'm assuming that has to be the big ending/climax with the movie leading up to it.

I don't like some people in this movie, but I may catch it anyway since I like the real story

4 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

When the movie about the about greatest tennis match of all-time between the two greatest players of all-time... Federer/Nadal '08 Wimbledon.

2e01ee9d1ad2b81a2fd43a575d974c069ae18a50

Seriously, Federer and Nadal are all time greats but there's comparatively little drama there.

The trailer looks good but I'm not buying the actors as athletes in their early 20s.  Casting a decade plus older changes the dynamics, especially with a 38 yr old playing 24 yr old Borg.

• Like 1