Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s semiotics. The joke itself is just unfunny, but we all know this is part of a larger push from the culture media to keep creating a myth around this war and what it’s happening. 

Audiovisual is historically used to create narratives that justify atrocities, this is part of that, even if it looks just a silly inoffensive joke about “current events”. 

Of course i’m not saying everyone have to agreed but that’s my pov.

But back to the movie, i really doubt any of this will either help or hurt it. It’ll be entirely dependent of good reviews and WOM to succeed.

I personally feel confused by the extent of the backlash. Do ANY people disagree that it would be inappropriate to share shitty music by a band spelled H-a-m-a-s? That is the “punchline” of the joke. If you’re offended by the use of that name in any context, I understand. But I just disagree that it was targeting Palestinians or commenting on the genocide. Though as you said, that is just my POV and others can disagree.

Regarding the film, I agree that this likely will not have any impact.

Edited by MovieMagic
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Bitch, we can talk about it if we want to.

Don't downplay making jokes about genocide, Mister Lover!

I know that, but as far as it relates to this movie, it's going to be really far down the list of things that an underperformance (which isn't impossible, I've been getting not great vibes from this movie for a while, but you never know!) can be attributed to, in the event it does.

13 hours ago, MovieMagic said:

I’m curious if people have watched the sketch or only read about it on social media? I honestly think it’s been blown out of promotion, but everyone is free to have their own opinion.

What you expect me to actually watch something? I base my opinions on memes and hearsay.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I know that, but as far as it relates to this movie, it's going to be really far down the list of things that an underperformance (which isn't impossible, I've been getting not great vibes from this movie for a while, but you never know!) can be attributed to, in the event it does.

Ooh, I get what you mean now.

To be honest, the "move along" sounded very silencing, so I was like, "That ain't cute. 😐"

Just expected better from you, so I am glad you clarified. ❤️

14 hours ago, MovieMagic said:

I’m curious if people have watched the sketch or only read about it on social media? I honestly think it’s been blown out of promotion, but everyone is free to have their own opinion.

I did; I thought it was in poor taste, but I understood what they were going for (That the people in the skit ALSO thought it was in poor taste). Having something to say they stand behind Palestinians like they did for Ukranians would have mitigated a lot of this.

I'm not going to begrudge anyone who doesn't want to see him again or who are looking past it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Latest marketing stuff looking better and getting some distinct Paddington vibes now (definitely a great thing). 

I am curious to what songs from the original they will reference. "Ooompa Loompa" of course, but I wonder if they will reference what was the big hit song fromthe movie in 1971..."The Candyman". Sammy Davis Jr had a big hit with that one.

Edited by dudalb

51 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am curious to what songs from the original they will reference. "Ooompa Loompa" of course, but I wonder if they will reference what was the big hit song fromthe movie in 1971..."The Candyman". Sammy Davis Jr had a big hit with that one.

Did he really? Ironic since I think that is the most forgotten song from the OG in modern times. 

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Press screening starting, embargo dates below. Very early, they must be confident 

This is the best way to do it. I am expecting another rave from Paul King. If not either way its screwed. this way they are putting their best foot forward in ensuring it builds the buzz towards release. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Did he really? Ironic since I think that is the most forgotten song from the OG in modern times. 

Yes,look it up. Sammy Davis  had a #1 hit with it.

I think the song Charlie's mother sings is a bit more forgotten.

• Like 2