Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

48 minutes ago, Litio said:

John David Washington, who has also The nepotism aurea just like Timothee, also proved to be a great actor in BlacKkKlansman, right? No. People continue to claim he's weak and has no charisma despite John being more charismatic than Timothee. It doesn't mean much, but I don't see people worshiping John David like they do to Timothee. An expressionless white person is sold as cute, but an expressionless black person means lack of charisma, right? Let's not pretend that the reason is his skin colour.

The main difference between them is that Ryan has a lot of talent and got several jobs when he was young thanks to his talent only. He is not an industry plant like the protagonist of Wonka.

Who the hell is claiming John David Washington isn’t a good actor. I’ve literally never heard someone criticize him. Maybe people are comparing him to his father which isn’t fair at all considering Denzel is one of the best ever.

Edited by Mr Impossible

12 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Who the hell is claiming John David Washington isn’t a good actor. I’ve literally never heard someone criticize him. Maybe people are comparing him to his father which isn’t fair at all considering Denzel is one of the best ever.

Also when did Denzel ever help his son get a role.

Will Smirh and his kids are the very defination of nepotism though.

44 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Well, maybe go outside this forum for a moment. Because that's always the general narrative about him in every forum about movies or social media Lol

Edited by Lighthouse
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Who the hell is claiming John David Washington isn’t a good actor. I’ve literally never heard someone criticize him.

I've never heard anybody praise him on other movie sites lol It is unfair to judge him against his father. I thought he was fine enough in Creator, could have gone a little more.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Wow so glad the Wonka thread has  turned into a conversation about John David Washington. Never change Box Office Theory.

Nothing to talk about until first Wonka numbers come in.

There will be lots of doomposting on OW for sure since many won't understand most families will be waiting for Christmas week to see Wonka.

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Nothing to talk about until first Wonka numbers come in.

There will be lots of doomposting on OW for sure since many won't understand most families will be waiting for Christmas week to see Wonka.

Which is what always amazes me about this place how many people on a Box Office Forum  don't know shit or understand  about BO office and the trends. Or they do and just want to be dramatic or trolls or both. 

This movie is another good example of how RT has skewed how most people evaluate movies. If a movie is not 85+, then it’s “meh.”  

Based on the current reviews, the movie has pretty good reception. Not Paddington 2 level, but still pretty good. Good enough that it’s all up to audience reception now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Squire said:

This movie is another good example of how RT has skewed how most people evaluate movies. If a movie is not 85+, then it’s “meh.”  

Based on the current reviews, the movie has pretty good reception. Not Paddington 2 level, but still pretty good. Good enough that it’s all up to audience reception now. 

They hardly even pay attention to the avg ratings as well. 7.5/10 for all critics and 8.0/10 for top critics is hard to get even with 90% RT movies. I personally find that I prefer love/hate movies much better than eh it's fine aggregate. Hec, even Metacritic score at 67 is good since 70+ there is entering upper good - great range. I think MC score will rise when all reviews are in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maggie said:

I read Tom Holland tested for Wonka, but the producers wanted Chalamet. It's obvious Chalamet is one step forward Holland. Chalamet does prestige movies

Tom already debunked that rumor. It was only Timmy who was offered the role.

Well, these reviews were honestly a lot better than I was expecting considering all the red flags present in those early reactions. Of course, the jury's out on how many of today's moviegoers have any connection to Wonka as a character, and musicals have been box office poison for years at this point, so this movie still has an uphill battle to face. We'll see what happens next weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

They hardly even pay attention to the avg ratings as well. 7.5/10 for all critics and 8.0/10 for top critics is hard to get even with 90% RT movies. I personally find that I prefer love/hate movies much better than eh it's fine aggregate. Hec, even Metacritic score at 67 is good since 70+ there is entering upper good - great range. I think MC score will rise when all reviews are in.

Yeah, those average ratings are really good. 

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Does this mean Wonka is safe? It has been highly positive reception and some of them I can tell the love of the movie are passionate. 

It is certainly in a much better starting position now. Imo, it will also profit from the Holiday Season lacking a really big blockbuster, so there should be more room, i.e. money to go around in the coming weeks for all movies that are coming out.

Its reception is definitely a step in the right direction after the disappointing November, it just pales compared to the hymns critics sung for the paddington movies. Won't be best picture contender but should be fine box office wise. I just hope there's enough to go around to other movies this month.

12 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

81% from 63 reviews now but the average rating is strangely high at 7.5/10 and got even higher for top critics at 8/10. It is strange to see supposedly "harmless" family holiday movie to draw this intense reaction from both front, making me curious about what the movie is about.  

47 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

81% from 63 reviews now but the average rating is strangely high at 7.5/10 and got even higher for top critics at 8/10. It is strange to see supposedly "harmless" family holiday movie to draw this intense reaction from both front, making me curious about what the movie is about.  

47 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Its reception is definitely a step in the right direction after the disappointing November, it just pales compared to the hymns critics sung for the paddington movies. Won't be best picture contender but should be fine box office wise. I just hope there's enough to go around to other movies this month.

Funnily enough, Paddington 1 only has 7.6/10 Top Critics for its 98% score, while Paddington 2 at 100% Top Critics has 8.6/10 

Wonka has 8.0/10 Top Critics at 74%. Meaning that somehow it gets sky high scores from fresh reviews to a point that it counters all rotten reviews, or that even the rotten reviews give it something like a 6/10. It's wild.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 2